Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Is there a way to notate a trumpet "fall" in Notion? (Sometimes known as a "fall-off," I think.)

I'm trying to do that jazzy trumpet sound you used to hear during the WHAM! BAM! fight scenes of the old "Batman" TV show (hopefully someone here remembers that show); but I'm not sure how to notate it.

I've tried both glissando and portamento, but neither simulates a bona fide trumpet fall, where the initial burst is sforzando and the trailing sound fades as it (somewhat sloppily) descends the scale.

By contrast, with glissando and portamento, equal dynamics were applied all the way through.

Thanks for your help!

Currently using Notion 4 on a 2008 Mac Pro (desktop - OS X 10.9.2, 32GB RAM) and 2010 MacBook Pro (OS X 10.9.1).
by thorrild on Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:06 am
Hi Jason,

One way is to purchase the Jazz Trumpet expansion sound. It is wired so that it can recognize 5 of the 6 jazz ornaments (Shift-U cycles through them).

Here is a screen shot of the six possible ornaments and a .wav audio file of how those 3 bars sound.

Best,
Thorrild
Jazz Tpt.tiff

Jazz Tpt.wav
(6.71 MiB) Downloaded 355 times

27" iMac 2016; OS 10.12.6
13" MacBook Pro 2017 OS 10.12.6
by jasonchildress on Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:01 pm
Thanks Thorrild, that's helpful.

Currently using Notion 4 on a 2008 Mac Pro (desktop - OS X 10.9.2, 32GB RAM) and 2010 MacBook Pro (OS X 10.9.1).
by jasonchildress on Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:47 pm
(A year later) I figured out a practical (and simple) answer to my question: trumpet falls can be simulated by notating each note of the fall, like a violin run.

An optional decrescendo can be added to the fall, to simulate the "fade".

I created a trumpet fall consisting of fifteen 32nd-notes, then converted it into a tuplet. It sounds just like a real trumpet fall.

Of course it would be quicker to use the "fall" marking (if there was one), but I also like the challenge of figuring out a "manual" solution, and learning from that.

by simontomlinson1 on Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:32 am
For anyone searching for this, you can do falls, but short ones and rough ones. Click on the note then press Shift + U, press it to cycle round the various different falls.

5 posts
Page 1 of 1