Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi!

I attempt to send midi data from Reaper to Notion 6.8.2 by IAC driver 1, but Notion isn't receive it, the midi-input works only from hardware midi keyboard (I triyed "All" and "IAC driver 1" as midi Input in preference - with same result). Also I tested IAC 2 and 3 (and Plogue Bidule receives midi from these ports, but Notion isn't). Also I tested the Bidule midi ports instead IAC driver - also not works. Whats wrong?

macbook Air M1, macos 12.7.1
by acequantum on Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:56 pm
Hi,

In Notion, check File > Preferences > MIDI IO tab

There should be selections for your MIDI ports. Since it seems you are trying to receive MIDI data in Notion, you'll probably have to setup your MIDI input device as your IAC virtual port.
by Surf.Whammy on Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:19 pm
I did some experiments on an Apple 27" iMac (Late 2013) running macOS Catalina, and had some encouraging results . . . :reading:

THOUGHTS

I do not have Reaper, and I am not where I have a real, physical MIDI keyboard; but I have Studio One Professional, so I tried to get it to send MIDI directly to NOTION in real-time (as contrasted to sending it as a file) . . .

So far, I have not got this to work; and I also tried an earlier version of Studio One Professional that supports ReWire, including ReWire MIDI; but that did not work, either.

I know I can send MIDI from NOTION via an External MIDI stave, and I recall being able to send MIDI via a ReWire MIDI stave, although like External MIDI, this might be one way (NOTION to Studio One Professional).

In a ReWire session, I was able to send MIDI from Studio One Professional 5 to an earlier version of Reason (Reason Studios); and I think I made a YouTube video on this, since it was a bit unusual in the sense that nobody other than me probably even tried to do it . . .

SUCCESS WITH MIDIKEYS ON MAC (VIRTUAL MIDI APP)

I ran MidiKeys on the Mac and set it to send MIDI to IAC Bus 1, and this strategy worked for sending MIDI to NOTION 6.8.2, which included being able to record the MIDI in NOTION . . .

MidiKeys

NOTION Preferences ~ MIDI IO

Audio MIDI Setup ~ IAC Driver Properties

REAPER

I plan to download and install Reaper to do some experiments . .

STUDIO ONE

PreSonus does MIDI in Studio One a different way and tries to make it transparent, but this mostly makes no logical sense to me . . .

It works in some respects, but I have not been able to get it to send MIDI in real-time on the fly to NOTION . . .

This might be due to Studio One no longer supporting ReWire, but perhaps not . . . :shock:

If the goal is to use the native NOTION instruments the way one uses Kontakt instruments and its sampled sounds, then I am not certain doing this makes much sense . . .

Now that Studio One has embedded NOTION and does nearly everything standalone NOTION does, it's not necessary to attempt to use NOTION as a real-time instrument . . .

Studio One has orchestral instruments and synthesizers, and with a subscription to PreSonus Sphere, there is a virtual festival of instruments and sampled-sound libraries, all of which work nicely in Studio One where they are played by music notion in embedded NOTION . . .

It's an intriguing problem, so I am working on it; but I am not certain how useful it might be . . .

SUMMARY

Since MidiKeys works nicely, I think it's possible that a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) application can do the same thing; but it depends on the way it is engineered and whether it actually can do what MidiKeys does.

So far, I have not been able to get Studio One Professional to do this; but perhaps Reaper will be able to do it . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by Surf.Whammy on Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:46 pm
I downloaded and installed the current version of Reaper and got it working . . . :+1

THOUGHTS

I have not used Reaper in several years, and it never made a lot of sense to me . . .

So I used a technique and strategy I learned when I was working on the NASA Space Shuttle Mission Simulator, which at the time had the largest UNIVAC 1100 computers in the world and a virtual festival of Interdata computers that were clones of IBM 360 mainframes . . .

It was an amazingly complex system of hardware and software, and if it stopped working there were a handful of people (hardware and software) who would fix whatever the problem happened to be.

I was fresh out of college (Computer Science, although at the time it was Mathematics since there was no Computer Science major, this being a new thing in those days, late-1970s and early-1980s); and the manager for UNIVAC, which was where I worked, was one of the handful of people who were called when everything stopped working.

He let me watch what he did, and I asked "How do you find the problem?" and "How do you know how all this stuff works?" . . .

His response surprised me and it was an epiphany . , ,

He told me (a) he didn't understand the simulation system and all its hardware and software, so (b) he did something he called "scouting around", where the technique was to look at things until something did not look right, which likely meant it was the source of the problem . . .

There is a bit more to it, but that is the general concept . . .

This is what I did to make sufficient sense of Reaper to get it sending MIDI directly to NOTION 6 to play the NOTION 6 native piano . . .

Along the way, I read some of the Reaper User Guide and watched two YouTube videos, one of which was found by searching on "sending MIDI from Reaper to NOTION" or something similar . . .

phpBB [video]

I already had found the Reaper Virtual MIDI Keyboard and somehow had used it to record a MIDI sequence in Reaper on what I think is an Instrument Track . . .

The YouTube video was key, and from it I realized the importance of the little "Routing" icon on the Reaper track . . .

I set everything that made sense to me in Reaper; saved Reaper; reopened Reaper; and started my NOTION experiment project--the one that works nicely with MidiKeys . . .

I set some things in Reaper for the Instrument Track and it started sending MIDI to NOTION just like MidiKeys does . . .

At the moment, I know what I did but not in an immediately conscious way that is easy to document . . .

It works, and I can send MIDI from Reaper to NOTION . . .

I will make sense of what I did and then post a follow-up with detailed steps, and I might make a YouTube video . . .

[NOTE: This is the YouTube video, and it's focused on showing the various ways I configured NOTION and Reaper to make sending MIDI from Reaper to NOTION work . . . ]

phpBB [video]

Lots of FUN! :)

P. S. In some respects "scouting around" is like playing an instrument "by ear", where you click on stuff until it sounds good . . .

It's a conceptual type of thing and after you do it for a few years, you learn things that make it work better--few if any of which are documented anywhere . . .

On the Mac, part of the "scouting around" strategy is to click on stuff in an intelligent way until whatever you want to do starts working, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :ugeek:

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!

4 posts
Page 1 of 1