Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
11 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello, I have a problem with this function, I have composed a piece for string orchestra , it start with 3 violas, others instruments doesn't play, so I have triyed to do hide resting staves, but the Violins I appear on the score on the 4 first bars even they don't play a note... What can I do ?
Thank You
by martinkutschker on Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:51 am
For the full score nothing, but for printing only parts you can enable multi-measure rests in the "part options" preference settings.

Masi
by georgesgondard1 on Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:22 pm
Thank You, Masi, so there is a bug ...
by martinkutschker on Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:41 pm
I think I'm not sure if understand you. If the violas start on the 1st bar and the others join later there has to be rests for their staves.

Masi
by georgesgondard1 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:02 pm
Rests problems.JPG
Masi, on the 4 first bars there is 3 violas playing on three separate staves all others instruments ( V1,V2, Cellis, Basses ) doesn't play any notes, so when i use the Hide resting notes , I don't know why but I have my three Violas AND the Vl1 ( with its full rests ) appearing instad of the only violas ...
by luisgutierrez1 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:46 pm
I recreated your first few measures from the image you posted and the culprit appears to be the rehearsal mark [A] that you have placed in the first measure. If I delete it and click 'Hide Resting Staves' the Violin I staff disappears. Looks like the addition of the rehearsal letter is making the program think the staff isn't actually "resting." It appears this will happen anywhere in the score where you insert a rehearsal mark - the top staff will show up even if it's empty. You could try creating rehearsal marks using a text box placed above the second staff (first viola) if that helps.

Tried the same thing out in other notation software programs and it doesn't seem to be a problem there.
by georgesgondard1 on Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:52 am
Luisgutierrez1 , Thank You, yes it seems the rehearsal mark is a problem, so I removed all of thems , then applied "HRS", the score is ok like that without rehearsal mark, but then when I redone the rehearsals marks,and metronome mark the problem come back...
Here is the recorded adagio : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bXq26c_YDA
by luisgutierrez1 on Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:24 pm
Glad to hear I could help, but sorry to hear that this does seem to be a bug. I am listening to your recording and not only am I enjoying your music, it makes me want to read the book which inspired it. If I can find a copy in English!
by georgesgondard1 on Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:52 am
Thank You for Your nice comments regarding my work ,this is nice of You . ;)
by johnvallely on Wed May 26, 2021 2:37 am
Has there been any update on this in the last 6 years? I see the "Hide Resting Staves" in the "View" menu, but it is not available.

Quite inconvenient, especially with large scores where certain instruments are only used in certain sections, and you are left with an enormous empty score that takes up so many pages.
by michaelmyers1 on Wed May 26, 2021 12:05 pm
johnvallely wroteHas there been any update on this in the last 6 years? I see the "Hide Resting Staves" in the "View" menu, but it is not available.

Quite inconvenient, especially with large scores where certain instruments are only used in certain sections, and you are left with an enormous empty score that takes up so many pages.

Hide Resting Staves works only after selecting a measure or measures in the staves you want to hide. I use it regularly.

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Big Sur 11.4
2 - 500 gb + 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com

11 posts