Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
9 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I wondered if anybody has information about future plans and updates of Notion6 (desktop version). The last update is now 2,5 years old while the mobile versions gets updates regularly (but is cheaper than the desktop version....)
by acequantum on Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:59 am
I think the plan is continued integration and devlopment with Studio one. The Mobile app as an independent version is likely the continued other direction. Though I haven't heard a definitive - "Presonus won't be updating the desktop version of Notion anymore" the indicators point to Studio one and the mobile app being the focus.
by nathanielwalker2 on Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:31 pm
acequantum wroteI think the plan is continued integration and devlopment with Studio one. The Mobile app as an independent version is likely the continued other direction. Though I haven't heard a definitive - "Presonus won't be updating the desktop version of Notion anymore" the indicators point to Studio one and the mobile app being the focus.

I agree with this.

I don't even think they stand to benefit from maintaining desktop Notion since the market has shifted a bit. MuseScore 4 now has pretty good sounds out of the box (the biggest reason to get Notion was for something that was easy to use and had good stock sounds for performance). Finale is better for Engraving and has had it price slashed considerably.

The biggest market where it actually makes sense to maintain it, is on mobile devices... and they are at least going to allow it to limp along because they can simply throw it into Studio One+ to make the subscription look more "enticing."

Notion 7 would have to be at least as good as MuseScore 4 to even bother paying to upgrade it. I cannot see that happening.

At this point, it would be more useful to just implement MusicXML import in Studio One.

Kind of flabbergasted that they have implemented stuff like DAWProject and even ported over to Linux, but still haven't implemented this one feature.
by michaelmyers1 on Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:07 pm

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Sonoma 14.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6/Notion Mobile + Studio One 6 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by Obloha on Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:17 am
I hope they are working on full integration into Studio One instead on new version. It will be instant buy if it will be in next Studio One version.

PreSonus software : Studio One 6 Pro, Notion 3
PreSonus hardware: Studio 24c
Other hw: midi keyboard Novation LAUNCHKEY61
PC: Win11, i7-12700K, 32 gb ram, Nvidia RTX, HDD : 1TB SSD WD, 2TB WD
by nathanielwalker2 on Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:06 pm
All they need is to give us MusicXML Import & Export in Studio One, and we can use any Notation Software we want.

Not everyone is a hobbyist who can sit on mediocre solutions like Notion 6/Notion Mobile for years and years while they do whatever they're doing.

At least deliver the features necessary for us to utilize other solutions.

The way they're doing this is feeling very Apple'esque. They are intentionally griefing their own users into using an uncompetitive 1st party solution.

I don't even care about Notion, anymore, frankly. I just want them to deliver the features that other DAWs do deliver that allow composers to utilize the Notation software of their choice and move score data between the two applications optimally.
by davidlarson6 on Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:32 pm
Yeah, I gave up using Notion a couple of years ago, and moved to Dorico with no regrets. I still use Studio One, mainly because I'm used to it, but more and more I'm turning to Logic on my Mac. And for a lot of my composition work, Dorico with Noteperformer is good enough for a useful mockup.

I'm with you; S1 needs proper import/export functions.

DKLarson

Windows 10, i9, 64GB, 3X 1TB SSDs; Macbook Pro M1 Pro, 32GB, 1TB SSD
Audient iD14, Atom SQ, Keystep 37, Studiologic SL88, Moog Sub Phatty, Kawai MP11SE, Roli Seaboard.
by chrisdenman2 on Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:21 pm
I would hope they would keep advancing the abilities of Notion, it's integration with studio one is excellent, the ability to send instruments parts to studio one as audio tracks is so useful and I have used it on pretty much every song I have written in one way or another, I really hope they don't abandon it.
by ennbr on Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:30 pm
They are moving forward it's called Notion Mobile

Now if only Presonus would only tell the Notion 6 user base what to expect in the future

Bruce

Computers:
Mini PC Ryzen 7 6800H, 64GB DDR5, 2TB M.2 boot, 4TB data Win 11
Laptop ASUS Ryzen 7 6800H, 64GB DDR5, 2TB M.2 4TB SSD data Win 11
Software: Studio One Pro 6, Notion 6.8, Melodyne Studio 5
Audio Interfaces: Moto 1248, M4
External Storage: Samples 3x 2TB SSD's, Projects 4TB SSD

9 posts
Page 1 of 1