Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
10 posts
Page 1 of 1
While attempting to enter lyrics the spacebar starts playback instead of advancing to the next position.

How do I prevent the spacebar from activating the transport?

Regards,
Lance
by Surf.Whammy on Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:00 pm
lancejames wroteWhile attempting to enter lyrics the spacebar starts playback instead of advancing to the next position.

How do I prevent the spacebar from activating the transport?

Using the Spacebar to move from note to note when entering lyrics is the correct way to do it . . .

Most likely, you are pressing the Return key or the Tab key, which takes you out of lyric input mode, at which point the Spacebar works like the Play button . . .

You can enter a hyphen or dash while in lyric input mode, and you can enter most punctuation marks . . .

THOUGHTS

It might depend on the character set you are using, and there appear to be some special cases when certain types of punctuation marks abruptly end lyric input mode; so you just need to experiment with it for a while to determine a set of rules, characters, and punctuation marks that work for your needs . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by martinkutschker on Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:38 pm
Happened to me too. Normally space works as expected. Last time I reverted to closing Notion and restarting it. This did the trick.

Masi
by jasonstein on Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:49 pm
I know exactly what the problem is. It happens to me when I have a second part selected, like when you press Ctrl-2. Try going to Ctrl-1 and then add the lyrics to see if that fixes it.

--Jason
by jamesmadden on Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:04 pm
This is happening to me too. I tried the things mentioned here but none of them worked. Notion support can you help us?
Jim
by willstar.reeves on Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:31 pm
Problem for me too. For what ever reason, transport play control is NOT disabled when in "Lyrics entry mode". Please fix.

Version 6.8.2.18133, windows 10 x64

Will Reeves - Complete amateur!
Presonus Sphere
Studio Computer - Home made in 2010 (I really need a new one!)
Win10 x64 - i7 930 - 12gb ram - 500GB SSD CT500MX5
Interface: Komplete Audio 6
Midi controllers: Yamaha P100, Seaboard Rise 49
by claescarlberg on Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:16 am
When entering a space using Lyrics press option+spacebar. That did the trick for me. Im using a iMac M1 and MacOS 12.1.
by johnmorgan34 on Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:43 pm
claescarlberg wroteWhen entering a space using Lyrics press option+spacebar. That did the trick for me. Im using a iMac M1 and MacOS 12.1.

Right on and it seems the shift key on windows does the same
by davidmehrl on Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:39 pm
Using windows 11. I've often had the problem with the spacebar (while entering lyrics) causing the software to just jump into transport mode and start playing the music. Usually I had to close Notion 6 and restart, and it would start working again. On the last piece I tried to edit, nothing I do fixes this problem!!! I tried e.g. using SHIFT-spacebar but that just inserts one blank space and does NOT advance it to the next note. In other words I just had to throw my hands up and quit. No way I can create the music anymore!!! Very frustrating. Wish they would FIX this bug!!!
by acequantum on Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:34 am
hmmm. using the space bar works fine (windows). I don't need to use shift etc. I can even using the Tab key to advance to the next note.

I'd like to try and recreate the bug so I can see what you guys are talking about. What are the circumstances, staff settings etc when entering lyrics? Do you have multiple staves? Do you use a vocal part/staff specifically or are you trying to enter lyrics on a grand staff for piano?

[EDIT] I was able to create the situation if I hit the space bar when the next note was a rest it would activate the transport. Also if the next note was blank or an empty measure the transport would be activated when I hit space. In my case the fix for those was just hitting [Enter] at the end of the phrase or last lyric syllable/word. Otherwise, lyric entry seems to work fine.

10 posts
Page 1 of 1