Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Do I simply not understand how to type into a text field?

Any time use the spacebar to place a space in a Score Subtitle, it kicks me out of the text field. Is this intentional, or a programming error? If it is intentional, WHY? Don't most score subtitles contain spaces? Do I need some magic key combo like ctrl + space just to enter a space? If so, really, lazy programming! come on!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) || MacOS Version 11.2.3 Big Sur || Processor 2.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 || Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 || Graphics Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
Studio One Professional 5.2 || Ampire || FatChannelXT || Notion 6 || Presonus Hub
AudioBox USB Black Edition || ArtEngineers SplitMix4(2) || ArtEngineers Studio V3 Tube PreAmp(4) || AKG P220 Cardioid Condenser Mic
Atom Pad || Korg Triton ProX 88 || Fender Squire || Fender DG7 || Yamaha Studio Acoustic Piano
by acequantum on Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:55 am
davidwolfe1 wroteDo I simply not understand how to type into a text field?

Any time use the spacebar to place a space in a Score Subtitle, it kicks me out of the text field. Is this intentional, or a programming error? If it is intentional, WHY? Don't most score subtitles contain spaces? Do I need some magic key combo like ctrl + space just to enter a space? If so, really, lazy programming! come on!

So there are kinda two modes when entering text in a subtitle, title etc:

1. Yellow Mode - if the text box has been selected and the text is yellow, the box itself can be deleted. moved etc. Also if you press the space bar while in this mode it is going to start playback of the score

2. Edit Text mode: If the text has been highlighted in reverse, the text itself is editable. You can type over existing text including spaces etc and it will not initiate playback in the score when you press the space bar.

The spacebar is also a hot-key for playback so if you aren't in the correct text mode, the score will start to playback and the behavior of jumping out of the box you describe would happen.

In the example video, when the subtitle text is yellow, I deliberately start typing and two things happen: I get a thirty second note attached to the cursor (because that is what the letter T does) and when i hit space, the score starts play back. I then double click in the subtitle textbox to make sure the text is highlighted in reverse so I know I am now in edit text mode. I can then type without issue.

[ Play Quicktime file ] Notion 6 title subtitle.mp4 [ 1.46 MiB | Viewed 1016 times ]

by davidwolfe1 on Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:15 am
Thanks for the clarification, acequantum. I understood the difference between the yellow highlight (moveable, etc) and the Reversed hightlight (editable). In hindsight, what I guess was throwing me, was my own impatience combined with the odd way the text field jitters it's content. This is certainly one of those oddities that's easy to adjust to. It does what you expect in the end, it's just that the way it gets there is just a bit quirky. I can deal with quirky! Thanks for your response. - dw

[video][/video]

phpBB [video]

[I tried to insert a video of editing an existing title by adding a word to the end, when all of a sudden the new word is the only one displayed. Then, later the whole title appears. I'm not sure I added the video correctly.]

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) || MacOS Version 11.2.3 Big Sur || Processor 2.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 || Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 || Graphics Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
Studio One Professional 5.2 || Ampire || FatChannelXT || Notion 6 || Presonus Hub
AudioBox USB Black Edition || ArtEngineers SplitMix4(2) || ArtEngineers Studio V3 Tube PreAmp(4) || AKG P220 Cardioid Condenser Mic
Atom Pad || Korg Triton ProX 88 || Fender Squire || Fender DG7 || Yamaha Studio Acoustic Piano
by davidwolfe1 on Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:47 am
for what it's worth, the video is located at:
https://www.dwd52.com/pub/media/vid/NotionTitleEdit.mov
thx again - dw

by acequantum on Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:36 pm
I see. The Mac seems a little different in the way it handles text boxes. I can see the jitteriness you're talking about. Yeah, the page setup textboxes in Notion could definitely use some work. At this point, though, I'm so used to it, I no longer have any issues that bother me. I don't need to do much editing on titles, composers and copyrights... once they are set, I'm pretty good to go. But until you get used to it, it's a pain in the @$$.

I come from using Finale primarily where you can pretty much do anything in how your score is setup. The problem is, it takes 10,000 steps to do anything- and for me, I could never memorize all those steps so I had to look stuff up every time I tried to accomplish something that wasn't strict and standard. Don't get me wrong, Finale is a great program and you can literally set up a score in almost any way imaginable, but it's so deep that figuring out how to do stuff bites into the creativity aspect. And even after years of using it, it is still not intuitive.

At first when using Notion 6, it took me a while to understand that I couldn't do everything possible on a music score (though with some work arounds - almost!) Then after a little time I adapted to the simplicity of Notion 6 and am twice as productive using it.

I've come to realize, everything I need to get music down "on paper" easily, quickly and neatly and be able to play it back instantly is within Notion 6 right out of the box. I do miss conveniences like exploding a chord to individual staves, but now the way I do things has changed too. Once there was a question on these forums regarding whether or not it is worth it to upgrade to Notion 6 from Notion 5. At the time I was sour from not knowing how to do what I was used to and said it wasn't worth upgrading. But now, I feel I understand the software a bit better and really like it.
by davidwolfe1 on Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:56 am
good points, all, acequantum. Historically, I've just been more into music production and haven't really needed to write sheet music. I compose on the piano and then go into S1 to flesh out the sounds I'm looking for. And you're right, learning S1 took a great deal of time (and well worth it, imho). Knowing that S1 had some scoring capabilities and knowing of Notion's reputation in that respect, I always felt confident that if and when I needed to avail myself of those capabilities, they'd be there.
Now, I've come to need some vocalists to join me and thought that I'd just jot down the melody lines and put in some lyrics and everything would be easy peasy. Unfortunately, it was more like starting all over again with a new and different piece of software. New paradigm, new mindset, new commands to Start from the Beginning, everything. Alas, it's not a perfect world. I can see that Notion has great capabilities and someday I will have the time to explore them. It's the classic trap: I need to get something done now, I'll learn how to do it more efficiently/effectively when I have time. Hopefully, if they _do_ continue to develop Notion, they take a minute and not add any new features (seems like they have a lot) but rather spend time making workflows and keystrokes more consistent with S1, their base product (at least that's what I think of it as). thanks again for your feedback.

6 posts
Page 1 of 1