Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
I've been looking for instrument info all over, but I havent been able to find anything that provides any details...
What I specifically need to know is if all solo voices are included: bass, baritone, tenor, counter tenor, alto, mezzo and soprano? And not completely unimportant, are the note ranges complete? Not that I need to make a score for Child In Time and that it turns out that there's no tenor range above B4. I mostly compose for metal, so tenors and sopranos with limited range wont do. A high E for both is absolutely necessary.
Its just for creating sketch demos, so quality isnt that important, but recognizabillity is. Say for a part with a high male voice in the same note area as a female voice, it has to be clear which the male voice and which the female voice is

Can someone tell me how this is implemented in Notion, or point me to detailed information, please?

Cheers!
Maarten
by Surf.Whammy on Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:59 pm
maartenfranken1 wroteWhat I specifically need to know is if all solo voices are included: bass, baritone, tenor, counter tenor, alto, mezzo and soprano? And not completely unimportant, are the note ranges complete? Note that I need to make a score for Child In Time and that it turns out that there's no tenor range above B4. I mostly compose for metal, so tenors and sopranos with limited range wont do. A high E for both is absolutely necessary.
Its just for creating sketch demos, so quality isnt that important, but recognizabillity is. Say for a part with a high male voice in the same note area as a female voice, it has to be clear which the male voice and which the female voice is

Can someone tell me how this is implemented in Notion, or point me to detailed information, please?

I looked for enough time to abandon all hope of finding a definitive list, so I did some screen captures and created two lists--one graphic and one in Numbers (Apple), which is a worksheet . . . ;)

THOUGHTS

I learned to touch-type when I was 12 years-old (summer school), so it doesn't take me very long to compile lists . . .

[NOTE: The instruments and voices in regular type are included with NOTION 6, but the items in italics are not included with NOTION. The items in italics are sold separately and when purchased and installed change to regular type to indicate they are available to use in scores . . . ]

[NOTE: These are the instruments and voices included with NOTION 6, but I forgot "Electric Bass", which also is included . . . :reading: ]

You referenced "bass, baritone, tenor, counter tenor, alto, mezzo and soprano" solo voices; and I did not find any--bundled (included with NOTION 6) or sold separately (add-ons) for NOTION . . .

You mentioned "soprano", but there are several types, depending on tessitura, vocal weight, timbre, vocal range, and so forth:

(1) coloratura

(2) soubrette

(3) lyric

(4) spinto

(5) dramatic

(6) dugazon

(7) falcon

Of these, lyric soprano has a higher range, and I think Céline Dion is a lyric soprano, although she says she is a mezzo soprano . . .

There also are male sopranos, but I see no mention of them, either . . .

Like you, I am an aficionado of all flavors of Metal; and my current favorites are Metallica and Rammstein . . .

phpBB [video]

[NOTE: This is the official YouTube video, and it has the best audio; but it's age-restricted; so it needs to be watched on YouTube . . . ]

phpBB [video]

ADVANCED VIRTUAL VOCALISTS

Based on your requirements for solo vocalists, I think you will need to find suitable VSTi virtual instruments and corresponding sampled-sound libraries that provide the specific types of vocalists you need . . .

These will work with NOTION 6; but now that Studio One Professional 6 no longer supports ReWire, I do everything within Studio One Professional 6, including working with music notation and VSTi virtual instruments . . .

This works very nicely for me, since among other eccentricities here in the sound isolation studio there are only 12 notes and 10 octaves, 2 of which humans cannot hear . . .

I learned to read and sight-sing soprano treble clef when I was in a liturgical boys choir, so it's the only one which for me is intuitive . . .

NOTION and Studio One Professional 6 provide Transposition, which lets me specify that notes are played as notated or one or two octaves lower or higher than notated, with other multipliers if so desired . . .

This way, everything is on a soprano treble staff unless there are deep bass keyswitches, as is the case with Realivox Blue (RealiTone), in which case I use a grand staff . . .

Bass notes are lower pitch, while piccolo notes are higher pitch, but they are the same 12 notes, really, just appearing in different octaves . . .

Instead of needing to remember 88 or 120 notes, I just need to remember there are 12 notes that as desired can be lower or higher pitch . . .

It's mathematically elegant and much more practical . . .

Additionally, I avoid articulations, dynamics, playing styles, and all that nonsense in music notation since (a) it clutters the music notation, (b) wastes time, and (c) is better done with VST effects plug-ins for a variety of reasons I explain in my posts to this forum . . .

For my needs, there is an excellent version of NOTION embedded in Studio One Professional 6, and it's very easy to use . . .

For reference, NOTION provides its own instruments--London Symphony Orchestra (LSO) and selected Jazz and Rock musicians for other instruments--specifically for use in live performances where NOTION augments or replaces real musicians . . .

NOTION is designed specifically to do this, and it's fine-tuned, tested, and verified to do this flawlessly, plus since it's all played through a sound-reinforcement system in a live performance, folks who pretend to be audiophiles tend to capitalize the "F" in being foolish . . .

There are several advanced VSTi virtual instruments for solo and chorus vocalists; and this will be what provides the solution you desire . . .

On a related note, since I focus on old-time science fiction radio plays with surreal updates for the 21st century, I need a virtual female soprano and Realivox Blue (RealiTone) is my personal favorite . . .

Realivox Blue is a third-party virtual female soprano who runs in Kontakt (Native Instruments) and has elaborate phonetic script capabilities, which when enhanced with the Melodyne Editor (Ceremony) makes her very human . . .

[NOTE: As with everything I post, this is best enjoyed and understood when you listen with studio-quality headphones or Apple AirPods at loud volume levels. This took about three months of experimenting, and when I was able to get each word to sound very human at least two times, I stopped experimenting, since this met my goal of determining and documenting the rules for making Realivox Blue lifelike. The lyrics are chosen to focus on difficult words, and I am happy with it in terms of making sense of everything. Overall, it's not perfect; but again, my criteria for success was getting each word perfect at least two times. The song is a parody of Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit", which was inspired by a teen antiperspirant. My song "A.N.A.R.C.H.Y." is inspired by a 21st century antiperspirant made by AXE®. Sometime in the future, cyborgs are so human-like that the only way to tell if it's a cyborg or a human is to taste its skin. If it tastes like AXE "Anarchy", then it's probably a cyborg. Once you make sense of phonetics and the Melodyne Editor, Realivox Blue comes alive, and should you desire, you can make her very naughty. The only requirement is that she must sing, which when you understand human speech, phonetics, and music notation is easy to do. There are rules, but John Lennon (Beatles) often sang monotone verses, all the same note and pitch; and that sets the gold standard for singing as contrasted to spoken word. The Realivox Blue license is for singing, not spoken word . . . ]

There are similarly advanced vocalizing products that include male voices, but they are from different third-party folks . . .

I do all the male voices for my science fiction radio plays, so all I need is Realivox Blue to do the female singing . . .

phpBB [video]

Project: Realivox Blue (PreSonus NOTION Forum)

phpBB [video]

Lots of FUN! :)

P. S. Decades ago, I discovered that I learn best by doing research and writing--mostly by touch-typing--so this is one of the reasons I post long treatises . . .

Prior to this, I did not know there were so many different types of sopranos; and while I knew most of the "bundled" or "native" NOTION instruments and vocalists, I did not know all of them . . .

When I can write accurately about something, then I know it . . .

Everyone who is fluent in English and touch-typing can write lots of stuff about which they often know absolutely nothing; but here in the sound isolation studio I do research to understand and verify things I write easily but at first am completely clueless . . . :P

For reference, I started doing this for NOTION in 2010 when I knew nothing; but now I am coming along nicely; hence over time this is a good strategy for me . . .

It also annoys folks who use iPhones to read forum posts, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :+1
Last edited by Surf.Whammy on Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by Demious on Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:59 am
@Surf.whammy Thank you so much for taking the time to provide me with so much information, its very much appreciated! :D

Cheers!
Maarten

3 posts
Page 1 of 1