Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi: How do you didmiss the pop up palette the one you get when right clicking the mouse using a Mac it pops up but won't go away.
Thanks.

MacBook Pro 15 in.  OSX El Capitan
Ver 10.11.6 Notion 5 Logic 9 other DAW's as well.
by Surf.Whammy on Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:13 pm
robertthompson1 wroteHi: How do you didmiss the pop up palette the one you get when right clicking the mouse using a Mac it pops up but won't go away.
Thanks.

This happens occasionally, and it's annoying . . . :shock:

THOUGHTS

After a bit of experimenting years ago--this is not a new behavior--I discovered that clicking on "Text" at the far-left of the palette and then pressing the "esc" key at the upper-left of the Mac keyboard a time or two makes the palette go away when it gets stuck . . .

This is a coding error, and it has existed for years . . . :ugeek:

SOFTWARE ENGINEERING PERSPECTIVE

The software engineering perspective is that NOTION is coded in part with the Object-Oriented Programming System (OOPS) style, where probably in the C++ programming language lots of stuff is done via objects created from classes . . .

[NOTE: The easiest way to understand this is (a) that a class is like a cookie cutter and (b) that an object is the actual cookie which is instantiated using the class. The instantiated aspect reifies (or makes real) the object or cookie. It's so strange and bizarre that it requires a new language and dictionary of words that nobody is born-knowing. The other popular analogy, metaphor, or simile is that it's like a skyscraper where everything--all the rooms and floors--are made from one super class, typically top-down rather than bottom-up, where a skyscraper is just a bunch of Legos® . . . ]

There are some advantages to this, since via a stacked or series of classes, one "super object" can do a lot of work automagically . . .

This would be wonderful, except that Apple provides a framework of classes and objects that do lots of stuff automagically but then as all programming language designers inevitably do, they tweak everything in such a way that what once was working suddenly stops working or works in a different way . . .

I prefer the low-level C programming language where NOTHING happens automagically . . .

I suppose it's a "control freak" type of thing, but so what . . .

The rule is that if something happens in my code, then it happens because I told it to happen, with no exceptions otherwise . . .

If there are three dots, then they are there because I pressed the "." key three times . . .

In low-level C, there are no elves and gremlins who appear randomly and do odd things that the software engineer never said to do . . .

If it takes 10 lines of code in C++/OOPS, then it might take 1,000 lines of code in low-level C, although not always . . .

If you touch-type with high accuracy, then it doesn't take much longer to type 1,000 lines of low-level C code . . .

The advantage is that with low-level C, the software engineer has ruthlessly absolute control over everything that happens . . .

Nothing unusual or unexpected happens, but this is not the way it works with C++/OOPS code . . .

You might wonder, "Why don't they fix it?", but that's too logical and vastly impractical or essentially impossible in C++/OOPS code . . .

Why? :roll:

You fix one bad behavior and then hundreds of good behaviors stop working, which overall leads to the practice of allowing the occasional bad behavior and devising work-around solutions like click on "Text" at the far-left of the palette a time or two and click on the "esc" key to make the palette go away . . .

It's stupid but it works . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

P. S. In digital music production, C++/OOPS is like using smart objects in Reason (Reason Studios) where for example a "drum machine" can provide the drumming for a complete song, and a "chord machine" can provide the chords . . .

Reason allows its various "machines" or "smart objects" to be programmed by the composer and used in different combinations throughout the song, where for example you might use one tailored "drum machine" to do the drumming in a verse but use a different tailored or programmed "drum machine" to do the drumming for the chorus, and so forth . . .

You are not restricted to using only one "drum machine" or "chord machine" for an entire song . . .

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

I have not verified this, but I think Reason can export MIDI for drum kit and chord patterns, which if possible could be imported to NOTION and then converted to music notation . . .

Using these Reason machines is done in Studio One Professional via the VST Reason Rack plug-in; but for the aforementioned MIDI export and import to NOTION option--if it exists--you start in Reason and then when everything is programmed and configured, you move it via MIDI export and import to NOTION, after which you can send it from NOTION to Studio One Professional so the music notation can play whichever instruments you assign in Studio One Professional . . .

The high-level perspective is that folks who (a) know nothing about music notation but (b) focus on "by ear" composing and are skilled in clicking on stuff until it sounds "good" can use Reason to great advantage and then move it to NOTION and Studio One Professional . . .

It's very flexible, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :+1
Last edited by Surf.Whammy on Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by robertthompson1 on Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:09 pm
Thank you for your help,tip and perspective. It is appreciated.

MacBook Pro 15 in.  OSX El Capitan
Ver 10.11.6 Notion 5 Logic 9 other DAW's as well.

3 posts
Page 1 of 1