Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello,
Is there any way to export-import mixer settings (panning etc…) between scores.
I find this task of re- doing everything from scratch very tedious.
Thank you for your help.
Andy
by michaelmyers1 on Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:45 pm
Not presently, I don't believe. Long-standing request to be able to save and load mixer states. You could save a template and use that to start a new score with the mixer settings saved there, but there's no way that I know of to apply mixer states after the fact.

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Ventura 13.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by Surf.Whammy on Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:16 am
michaelmyers1 wrote". . . save a template and use that to start a new score with the mixer settings saved there"

Yes! :+1

THOUGHTS

This is the strategy for NOTION and Studio One Professional, and I use both--although now primarily with Studio One Professional 6, since I do everything in Studio One Professional 6, including music notation for virtual instruments . . .

It depends on the genres you focus and what you need to do, of course, but it's what I call the "Motown Strategy", where in the 1960s and 1970s Motown songs were recorded at "Hitsville U.S.A." and there was a select set of "house musicians" (The Funk Brothers), composers, lyricists, producers, and audio engineers who used "formulas" or "cookie cutters" to create a nearly endless stream of hit songs . . .

The Funk Brothers

The Marvelettes (1963) ~ Photo by Motown/Tamla Records-photographer-James Kriegsmann

phpBB [video]

In some respects, this also was the case for early-Elvis, early-Beatles, early-Rolling Stones, and so forth, at least on an "album" basis, where at the time everything was on vinyl records and an "album" typically had five or six songs on the front side and the same or similar number of songs on the back side . . .

phpBB [video]

The songs on Elvis Presley's 1956 "Elvis Presley" album were consistent in music, instrumentation, and singing . . .

[NOTE: By 21st century listening standards, the songs might appear to be a bit strange since they were monaural and were played and recorded live with no overdubbing; but the best way to "get it" is to listen at high volume played through a sound system with deep bass subwoofers, as is the case for quite a few other musical groups and singers popular in the 1940s and 1950s. Once you "get it", you can switch to studio-quality headphones and Apple AirPods; but understanding the raw energy ("getting it") requires the best listening device at the time which was a Wurlitzer "juke box" that had 15" woofers, perhaps two of them and vacuum-tube power amplifiers. The songs were mixed for a combination of radio, small portable record players, and juke boxes. The ultimate standard in those days was the juke box. I liked Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis songs in the 1950s; but in the late-1990s I read something about John Lennon (Beatles) saying the 1956 "Elvis Presley" album was a big influence on his musical thinking; so I got a copy on CD and played it at full-volume in my Lincoln Towncar until it clicked, which was not an immediate type of "get it". The Lincoln Towncar had an audiophile sound system, but it was not powered by vacuum tubes. The "play it loud" aspect is important because it introduces something close to "vacuum-tube blur". The goal is to put your mind in the state where instead of being "today" in the late-20th century or early-21st century, it's 1956 and Elvis and his music is mind-bogglingly new and exciting . . . ]

phpBB [video]

TEMPLATE STRATEGY

Devote several hours or days to deciding on instruments, effects plug-ins, and so forth with the goal being to create a template or "cookie cutter" for a set of songs with the same instruments, effects plug-ins, mixing levels, and panning . . .

Then do a "Save As . . . ", and give a meaningful name that included "Template" with something added to indicate its overall focus in terms of being the template for an "Album" of songs . . .

When you want to start a new song, open the "Template" or "Cookie Cutter" and immediately do a "Save As . . . " to give it a name specific to the new song . . .

Keep these in separate folders, and make frequent archive copies--also via "Save As . . . "--so that if you need to revisit an earlier version, you have it in the ongoing archive in the specific song folder . . .

This strategy works for NOTION and Studio One Professional 6; but in Studio One Professional 6 there are additional ways to create and save sets of things (instruments, effects, and so forth) . . .

As you make a song specific, you can change things; but having a consistent starting place saves time--especially when you want to use consistent sets of instruments, like drums, bass, keyboards, and guitars, as well as vocal tracks with specific sets of effects plug-ins . . .

After you compose and create songs for a while, you will tend to have favorites for things like drums, bass, keyboards, and guitars, at least for what I call the "Basic Rhythm Section"; so being able to start a new song with your favorite "Basic Rhythm Section" can save hours or days of work . . . :+1

For my science fiction radio plays, I do the same thing for the instruments and voice-overs . . .

It's a formula; and it's like "The Lawrence Welk Show", where with a few practical exceptions every musical and singer has their own music stand, microphone, extra instrument tools and effects; and it's a finely-tuned mix of audio-engineering repeated each week and show, which makes it a real "template" or "cookie cutter" for performances . . .

For decades, it was the most popular live music show in America . . .

phpBB [video]

Lots of FUN! :)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!

3 posts
Page 1 of 1