Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
I am trying to select measures 5 thru 12 but due to zooming the selection stops at the edge of my screen two measures short. So how can I scroll over then add to the selection? If I use the arrow to select more it cancels out the previous selection is there a key combination for Mac that would allow me to add to the selection?
Thanks for your time. I appreciate it.

MacBook Pro 15 in.  OSX El Capitan
Ver 10.11.6 Notion 5 Logic 9 other DAW's as well.
by Surf.Whammy on Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:46 am
robertthompson1 wroteI am trying to select measures 5 thru 12 but due to zooming the selection stops at the edge of my screen two measures short. So how can I scroll over then add to the selection? If I use the arrow to select more it cancels out the previous selection is there a key combination for Mac that would allow me to add to the selection?
Thanks for your time. I appreciate it.

On the Mac, switch to "Continuous View" and use the horizontal scroll bar, SHIFT key, and mouse . . . :)

THOUGHTS

I always work in "Continuous View"--NOTION and Studio One Professional--although I think Studio One Professional always is in "Continuous View", hence probably does not have an actual "Continuous View", but so what . . . :roll:

"Continuous View" in NOTION is found on the "View" menu . . .

[NOTE: Using "Continuous View" is important. I have "Accessibility" configured so that holding the "control" key and scrolling upward on the top surface of the Apple Wireless Mouse zooms-in and makes everything larger on the display, but if I scroll downward with my finger on the top of the Apple mouse, it zooms-out and things get smaller. Either way (a) press and hold "command" and then "-" or "+" to make smaller or larger, respectively or (b) use the Accessibility option (press and hold "control" and scroll upward or downward with the mouse by moving your finger forward or backward on the top of the Apple mouse) works; and you can use both of them, since they do similar actions, where (a) sets the overall zoom level, but (b) is used to make stuff larger or smaller when that is helpful . . . ]

[NOTE: You also need to configure the mouse or trackpad to get this working as described; but the trackpad does it a different way than the mouse. For the trackpad, if it's an Apple notebook, the zoom aspect is done by tapping with two fingers or moving two fingers apart. I only use a trackpad when the Apple Wireless Mouse needs to be recharged. Most of the time I use the mouse, since I am a "mouser". Trackpads for me are awkward. I also configure the mouse to scroll horizontally when I move my finger left-to-right and vice-versa across the top of the Apple Wireless Mouse. Forward and backward across the mouse scrolls upward and downward. This is different from the "Accessibility" zooming when the "control" key is pressed and held . . . ]

I usually use (a) for the overall fixed-zoom level and then use (b) when I need to see it larger or smaller . . .

[NOTE". The "Accessibility" panel is in System Preferences found on the Mac menu (click on the Apple icon at the upper-left of the screen), as are the "Trackpad" and "Mouse" panels . . . ]

For example, consider you want to select measures 1 through 25 . . .

(1) Ensure you are in "Continuous View".

(2) Use the mouse to select measure 1, and leave it selected.

(3) Using the horizontal scrollbar at the bottom of the screen, scroll to measure 25.

(4) Press the SHIFT key and then click with the mouse at the end of measure 25.

(5) This will cause the measure 1 selection to be extended to the end of measure 25.

It does not need to start with measure 1 . . .

If you want to select measures 25 through measure 33, then start by selecting measure 25 and do the same steps until you get to the end of measure 33 . . .

SUMMARY

It takes a while to discover all this stuff, and nobody is "born-knowing" all of it--even graphic user interface (GUI) software engineers . . .

I started doing GUI software engineering in 1987 on Windows 1.1 and in 2000 I switched to the Mac; so I learned about the accessibility stuff probably 35 years ago; but did not use any of it until I developed cataracts about two years ago and started having difficulty seeing stuff--although technically I had cataracts for two or so decades but not so bad as to need cataract surgery . . .

Before I had cataract surgery, I had to get about 3 inches away from the screen to see things . . .

After cataract surgery, my vision is like it was when I was in high school; and I have "computer" glasses that let me see the text to this post clearly from 18 to 22 inches . . .

Ophthalmologists do one eye at a time, starting with the non-dominant eye first and then a week later when everything is verified to be successful, they do the dominant eye . . .

Initially to get started, the nurse asked me which eye was my dominant eye, and I said, "I don't know."

She then said, which eye do I use when shooting a rifle . . .

I said, "Can I tell you how I shoot a rifle without getting in trouble?"

She laughed, and I showed her using a pretend and quite invisible rifle . . .

This is how she determined (a) my right eye is my dominant eye and (b) I'm probably not a Democrat . . . :P

Overall, I prefer Elvis Presley's perspective on politics, where when asked in an interview if he was a Democrat or Republican, paraphrasing, his reply was "I'm a entertainer, ma'am, and that's all anyone needs to know about me" . . . :+1

phpBB [video]

Lots of FUN! :)
Last edited by Surf.Whammy on Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by robertthompson1 on Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:14 am
Thank you Mr.Whammys

MacBook Pro 15 in.  OSX El Capitan
Ver 10.11.6 Notion 5 Logic 9 other DAW's as well.

3 posts
Page 1 of 1