Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
14 posts
Page 1 of 1
Perlease can we have this for Notion 7?

I mean right-clicking on every note, scrolling down to Notes and then scrolling down to choose either Stem Up or Stem Down..that is bonkers.

Paging Chris, product manager of Notion...please, that's got to be a no-brainer shortcut...every other notation programme has a shortcut for this. I'm loosing the will to carry on with Notion to be honest.

I'm really hoping someone will come back with RTFM..
by madisonfinley on Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:53 pm
Your question does not state what version of Notion you are running, but since you are not in the Notion Mobile forum, I assume it is Notion 6 for desktop. I use Windows, and I do this:

Edit menu, Select all
Right-click in the score anywhere in the highlighted staves
Left-click on Notes, select Default Direction

Also, I normally consider the term 'shortcut' to mean a keyboard shortcut, and I'm not aware of one. But your question leads me to guess that you simply want a way to fix all the stems in one operation. In my manual, it's page 10.4

Windows 11 Home, Notion 6, Studio One 6. Intel i9, 32 GB RAM
by aduki on Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:32 pm
I'm aware of that, I'm not after 'default' ..the point I'm making is a shortcut (keyboard) to flip a stem at will..it's standard in every notation programme..key x in Sibelius if I remember correctly.

The fact that it is not available as a shortcut in Notion is very very odd.
by madisonfinley on Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:13 pm
OK, now I'm clear on what you are requesting.

by acequantum on Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:02 pm
Yeah, I feel the pain!

However, being the "try and find a solution" type person that I am, I tried creating a script using AutoHotKey. In fact you can (and should) read about AutoHotKey here https://www.autohotkey.com/

AutoHotKey is a free program one can install on their Windows computer to essentially run scripts, automate key combinations, mouse clicks - etc. as if these were shortcuts or part of a running program. You can do so much more than this but let's just stick to shortcuts.

I looked through the Notion manual and checked if the keyboard combination of CTRL+J or CTRL+SHIFT+J were used. I didn't find anything... I hope I didn't miss it.

Anyway, I created a short script that uses CTRL+J to flip stems up and CTRL+SHIFT+J to flip them down. You can select 1 note, a group of notes, etc, pres CTRL+J and it works.

You need to first download and install AutoHotKey.

Then you'll need to create the script that runs the shortcut keys. Notepad or some other generic text editor will do. The file name (extension) must end with .ahk . I'm not able to attach the script so I'll paste the contents here. Copy the code into your file and save it. I give no guarantees of how it will behave or function on your computer if you decide to use it; but I can say so far it has worked great for me. In fact, I might start messing around to add other shortcuts.

Double click on the created script to launch it. You should see a little H icon on your taskbar. Start up Notion, add some notes and try it out. As long as Notion is the window in focus, it should work. The script runs in the background until you stop it or restart windows. It would be helpful to read the documentation for AutoHotKey so you know how to mange/handle/edit/create your scripts. But you should be able to get up and running with the brief instructions above.

Code: Select all
#NoEnv  ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
; #Warn  ; Enable warnings to assist with detecting common errors.
SendMode Input  ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%  ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

#IfWinActive, ahk_class TTkScoreWindow
; Stem up
^j::
Send, {Click Right}ns{Enter}
return

; Stem Down
+^j::
Send, {Click Right}nss{Enter}
return
Last edited by acequantum on Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by aduki on Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:05 pm
Wow acequantum, that is a fantastic find, thanks. Unfortunately I'm on Mac but I'm sure there will be a similar programme. I will report back if I find something...
Cheers

EDIT: Yay! Better Touch Tool https://folivora.aican do it on Mac. Thanks for the push, you just saved me from RSI...
by acequantum on Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:35 pm
Oh wow. BTT looks great and a little easier to create shortcuts than AutoHotKey! Looks like you could just choose an app to configure the shortcuts or clicks or whatever for. Good find!

Please let us know if you got it to work. It could probably be very useful to those Mac users out there.
by aduki on Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:49 am
Yes, it works so I now have U for stem up and D for stem down of the selected note. It can do context menu, sub menus and most importantly, ‘selected item’ shortcuts. Plus a whole bunch of other things.
by madisonfinley on Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:11 am
I'm glad you have a solution. I didn't mention AutoHotKey because when I tried it a few years ago, it could confuse some software when the software has a competing definition. That, in turn, would confuse me. For example, use Ctrl+D, or Ctrl+U in this forum. They already have assignments. So, choose your new keys wisely.

by acequantum on Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:25 pm
Yup. Gotta be careful. But that's also why the hot key combinations can be application specific. When you add this to the script:

That checks to see if the currently active window is TTkScoreWindow - which is a notion window. There's a tool that comes along with AutoHotKey where you can find the window class to use in a script for just such an emergency. :)

So if you have a different window in focus, the AutoHotKey key combo shouldn't be active in that window.

aduki, to Madisonfinley's point even in BTT, U is already programmed in Notion for violin up-bow or guitar upstroke and D is for dot. So you have to be extra careful that you aren't stepping on an already existing shortcut (you can of course add additional key combos that don't match the included shortcuts)
by vancemakin on Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:15 am
Select multiple notes holding the shift key, then left click>notes>stem up.
by acequantum on Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:48 am
Hi,

Thank you. I don't think the point is that there isn't a way to flip the stems using the sub-menus, it's just there is no built in shortcut to do it with a key press or key-combo. The alternatives presented were ways of mapping quick keys using external programs.
by karlmarcotteharpiste on Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:36 pm
HI, I'm writing for the same issue...

It kinda makes me mad... It's a very useful option to have such a keyboard shortcut, that even freeware such as MuseScore 3 offers...

I'm seriously considering giving my monthly membership up because of this type of detail...
by acequantum on Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:35 pm
It is a bummer, but if you have windows, auto hotkey is free and it works.

and Better Touch Tool for the Mac though i don't know if that is free.

14 posts
Page 1 of 1