Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
6 posts
Page 1 of 1
This is the prototype for the Intro and Overview of "Chapter 12: The Slammers Attack Ranivir" . . . :)

THOUGHTS

I wrote the dialogue for this chapter about 10 years ago and now am doing the music, sound effects (virtual foley work), and recording . . .

This is the basic rhythm section, so the music is relatively simple . . . :reading:

There are several puns in the story, and they map to musical puns as well, where perhaps the most obvious musical pun will be focused on the Standard Galactic Week having eight days . . .

Melvin Piffle [not his real name] the Director of the Pretend FBI is in the Drake Hotel in Chicago in a Victorian claw tub taking a bubble bath and fighting naval battles with a rubber duck and plastic battleships while feeding Bucky the Little Mutant Raccoon apple slices, which is the way Piffle uses Bucky's mind as an intergalactic communication device; so that's two more musical puns; and there is a musical pun on Edvard Grieg's "Morning Mood" from the "Peer Gynt Suite" . . .

[NOTE: This is mixed for headphone listening, since there are motion and spatial effects designed for headphone "stereo" where there is distinct far-left, top-center, and far-right panning, as well as carefully constructed echoes. Apple AirPods work equally well . . . ]

phpBB [video]

After the Overview section, the focus shifts to Prof. Dave Darkstone on the planet Ranivir, a Slammer Clown, Melvin Piffle [not his real name] the Director of the Pretend FBI, Bucky the Little Mutant Raccoon, The Universatone Galactic Radio and its Universatone Super Deluxe Broadcaster Master Microphone, a Pantone Color Flip-Book, The Tall Cowboy Wearing a Wide-brimmed Hat, a Stagecoach, Country Western music, SABRE, and Deep Six . . .

Virtual Foley Work is making sense; so there will be more of it, as well as more elaborate instrumentation and musical styles in this chapter . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by Surf.Whammy on Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:39 am
I added a horn section, woodwinds, and strings . . . :)

THOUGHTS

This version has more of the story, but it's not the full story . . .

I have not started the virtual foley work, but it should be obvious where there are opportunities . . .

[NOTE: This is mixed for headphone listening . . . ]

phpBB [video]

The Surf Whammys

by Surf.Whammy on Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:03 pm
I added more instruments, orchestration, and virtual foley sounds . . . :)

THOUGHTS

There is more story and music, but it's coming along nicely . . .

Among other things, I added the musical "shout-out" to the Beatles, and borrowed a few ideas from one of my favorite Rammstein songs . . .

[NOTE: I found some of the Rammstein concert videos a few years ago and thought they were interesting but did not really "get it" until recently. They are huge in Europe, and I like Rammstein as much as Metallica. I might do a bit of Rammstein-style singing, since it's in my vocal range, and I'm a mutant--plus I had two years of German in college. The phrase appeared in my mind while I was dreaming: "Du bist schön" . . . :+1 ]

phpBB [video]

[NOTE: For those folks interested in Music History, Rammstein has similarities to my favorite Russian musical group, A'Studio, which is from Kazakhstan. Baigali Serkebayev is the leader, and I like the bass player and singer, as well. "Так же как все" is my favorite A'Studio song, and the name of the band is a bit of a risqué pun in English . . . :P]

phpBB [video]

[NOTE: "Relax" (Frankie Goes To Hollywood) is another song in the general style, and I borrow a few ideas from it--mostly the synthesizers and production. It's basically 1980s like "She Blinded Me With Science" (Thomas Dolby), another personal favorite . . . ]

phpBB [video]

This version of "Chapter 12: The Slammers Attack Ranivir" got a "no problems" copyright check from YouTube, which as usual is good . . .

[NOTE: As always, this is mixed specifically for headphone listening . . . ]

phpBB [video]

John Lennon's rhythm guitar chords are mind-bogglingly brilliant {D, DSus4, E, E7, G, D}, and they are melodic . . .

I stylized the chords, but they are representative . . .

As noted previously, I borrowed a bit of Edvard Grieg's "Morning Mood" from the "Peer Gynt Suite", which is the definitive musical sound of early morning . . .

It's stylized, but so what . . .

In the part of the story coming up, there are some musical "shout-outs" to Frank Sinatra (Nelson Riddle conducting) and the musical group Chicago, both of which I think can be done with the same number of measures as the Beatles "shout-out" . . .

I need to get more sounds for the virtual foley work, so that's on my list of "ThingsTo Do" . . .

After discovering a few months ago that I can import specific Instrument Tracks from previous Studio One Professional ".song" files, I modified by production strategy to add and then remove Instruments as needed, which makes everything much easier . . .

I continue to do complete, iterative archiving, but instead of starting a new version of the ".song", now I work in the same version--adding and then immediately removing Instrument Tracks after recording the generated audio to Audio Tracks . . .

I save every step along the way, but I always work in what essentially is the same ".song", although I version the ".song" file in a way that keeps the mix and everything else generally consistent . . .

What happens, which you can see in the video, is that there are more Audio Tracks for the audio generated by the "in-and-out" Instrument Tracks, where the corresponding Audio Tracks are chroma-coded white, which is in contrast to vocal Audio Tracks which are colorized . . .

This is much faster than doing it the way I was doing it previously . . .

The Surf Whammys

by Surf.Whammy on Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:48 am
I added more instruments and did some arranging and producing . . . :)

THOUGHTS

This is done with Studio One Professional 5.5 and NOTION in a ReWire session . . .

There are a few musical "shout-outs" for songs that fit with the story--just a few measures for each "shout-out", where one "shout-out" is the first few measures of "Eight Days A Week" (Beatles) . . .

The "shout-outs" are just a few measures and are stylized sufficiently to avoid copyright violations; and YouTube copyright checking was passed successfully with no problems, as usual . . .

For reference, this is a Pantone® Flipbook that is used to select Pantone inks for color printing:

[NOTE: "Flipbook" is the old name, but now it has several names, where one name is "Color Bridge Guide Book". I had one several decades ago--and probably still have it somewhere--so I learned to call it a "Pantone Flipbook" . . . ]

Pantone Flipbook

[NOTE: This is mixed for headphone and Apple AirPods listening . . . ]

phpBB [video]

I plan to do a little more work on the chapter--mostly adding another synthesizer and doing some fine-tuning--but this version is nearly complete . . .

I am switching to using Studio One Professional 6 exclusively for the next chapter ("Chapter 13: The Happy Valley"), where everything will be done within Studio One Professional 6 without NOTION and ReWire, which based on my experimenting is working very nicely here in the sound isolation studio . . .

The Surf Whammys

by Surf.Whammy on Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:04 pm
In this version, I did more instrumentation and added a synthesizer in a "shout-out" to German musical group Rammstein . . . :)

THOUGHTS

It's coming along nicely, but I plan to add a few more instruments, foley sounds, and perhaps some singing . . .

[NOTE: This is mixed specifically for headphones and Apple AirPods listening . . . ]

phpBB [video]

The Surf Whammys

by Surf.Whammy on Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:27 am
I added more synthesizers and foley sounds . . . :)

THOUGHTS

This chapter is nearly finished . . .

[NOTE: This is mixed specifically for headphones and Apple AirPods listening . . . ]

phpBB [video]

On a related note, I am thinking about getting a UVI SonicPass subscription, since it have some synthesizers and effects plug-ins I like . . .

I already have licenses for Dual Delay X, Whoosh, Xtreme FX (foley sounds), Mello, and Gypsy Jazzy, but there are more synthesizers, instruments, atmospheres, and effects plug-ins that I want to explore . . .

I have EW CloudComposer X and PreSonus Sphere (primarily for Studio One Professional 6), so UVI SonicPass will be a good addition . . .

The Surf Whammys

6 posts
Page 1 of 1