Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
1 post
Page 1 of 1
My workflow has evolved over the last year or so for the classical productions I do. Notion is still an essential tool for me for arranging and transcription of scores, but my recording and production efforts have shifted somewhat to the Studio One side of the equation as S1 Sound Variations have become more evolved. I'm hoping that at some point the Notion rulesets become as sophisticated as Sound Variations or merge with them in a future version to create a really powerful notation/production combination!

I've started using ART Conductor 8 Sound Variations by Babylon Waves. I'm very impressed with the concept behind them and the quality of them. They are basically the same thing as Notion rulesets for almost every available VST library out there.

So my workflow these days is to spend less time on the Notion Rulesets (my current ruleset is a very simple one which assigns overlap to legato notes when appropriate for the particular VST library I want to use). I assign that (or none depending on the library), usually record an nTempo track for humanization and sometimes adjust some notes for phrasing, then export MIDI to S1.

On the S1 side, I select the appropriate ART Conductor Sound Variation for the library, assign the correct articulations/techniques using the Sound Variations editor track, and then move into audio production by automating the instrument parameters, fine tuning notes for phrasing, and finally mix and mastering.

This is a recent production using this workflow, Irish Idyll (The Lark in the Clear Air). It's a beautiful arrangement for strings by Peter Dodd of a traditional folk song. I've used VSL Synchronized Dimension Strings (one of the oldest string libraries I have but still one of the best in terms of its architecture) along with Chris Hein Compact Solo Strings.

I was aiming for a particular sound on this production - a small detailed string orchestra in a recital hall type setting. One of the great features of VSL SDS is that it allows you to select with great precision the number and mix of players in each string section, and humanize each of them individually. My ensemble is 5-5-4-5-2 for this work and each section (except violas and bass) are further divided into two divisi desks each.

Mixing and reverb was achieved in a 3D stage set mode using the fantastic new VSL MIRPro 3D. Ozone 8 was added on the master bus for mastering.

phpBB [audio]

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Ventura 13.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com