Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
I would like to find something for jazz ensemble that could improve upon the Notion 6 full bundle of sounds for Windows.

Garritan products use the Aria Player. Does one just call that as VST instrument? EDIT: I found posts about the Personal Orchestra, and yes, it is a VST.

And for good sounds of writing charts for a college jazz ensemble, do you have any other suggestions? Budget is up to $600. I already have full Kontakt. While it would be nice to have a rhythm section, I really only need the horns (trumpets, trombones, five saxes).

Thanks!

ps I've been using Spitfire Studio sounds for chamber music.
Last edited by madisonfinley on Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Windows 11 Home, Notion 6, Studio One 6. Intel i9, 32 GB RAM
by acequantum on Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:54 am
Hi,

So yes it interfaces like a VST. I like the sound of it quite a bit. The trick, so to speak, with any Garritan library is playing with techniques, articulations, the EQ and most notably the various convolution reverbs and ambience reverbs.

Garritan instruments are extremely dry out of the box (which I find refreshing compared to so many VSTs that have reverb and room ambience baked into the samples). It definately takes some tweaking to bring them to life. A great example of the all the Garritan Libraries is below, though it would've been better if they highlighted the trumpets a bit more because there are some pretty cool effects one can achieve with patience and MIDI tweaking.

https://soundcloud.com/garritan/anthology

It starts off with the Garritan Organs, then moves to what seems like both GPO5 and maybe the Marching Band, then Instant Orchestra (cinematic section), then the Harps collection, at about 1:30 is where your Jazz and Big Band 3 comes in for sure, then it moves onto World library and finishes off it seems with GPO5
by madisonfinley on Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:42 am
That was VERY instructive. Many thanks.

I was disappointed in the sax sounds, though. I play jazz trumpet professionally but double on sax and flute.

I'm going to start another thread and word it better this time, now that I know Garritan can work. The new question becomes, what sounds good but works easily with no fuss?

Windows 11 Home, Notion 6, Studio One 6. Intel i9, 32 GB RAM

3 posts
Page 1 of 1