Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
10 posts
Page 1 of 1
So I've been doing some digging on this, and none of the tips have been useful. Ctrl +Shift down does not allow me to drag a note down an octave, point and click grays out anything lower than an E. Note that the lowest open string on a cello is a C... Disappointing that free software I downloaded years ago has more understanding of an instrument's range than a newer one that I paid $150.00 for.

Making the space between staves did not help.
Can't shift down.
The option is simply not available.

If anyone has any tips, they would be welcome.
by davidlarson6 on Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:04 pm
Insert the E, hit [escape] for the arrow pointer, then drag the note down with the mouse. Or step-enter the notes using a midi controller.

Yes, it's annoying that we have to use a work-around.

DKLarson

Windows 10, i9, 64GB, 3X 1TB SSDs; Macbook Pro M1 Pro, 32GB, 1TB SSD
Audient iD14, Atom SQ, Keystep 37, Studiologic SL88, Moog Sub Phatty, Kawai MP11SE, Roli Seaboard.
by acequantum on Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:44 pm
Hello,

I wrote this in another post but I think it may apply here as well:

I wouldn't recommend changing any of the default files in Notion; but if one was so inclined, it looks like the ranges of the built in instruments are in the file "BuiltinInstruments.tpk" found in the ...Support/Lists folder
by davidlarson6 on Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:59 pm
But this isn't about the range of the instrument. This is Notion's problems with entering ledger-line notes with the mouse. The built-in Cello is capable of playing down to C, but the notation editor is bugged.

Same thing happens in the upper register of the violins, the lower range of the horn, etc.

DKLarson

Audient iD14, Atom SQ, Keystep 37, Studiologic SL88, Moog Sub Phatty, Kawai MP11SE, Roli Seaboard.
by acequantum on Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:12 pm
Oh, I get it... it's about the ledger lines and their availability. Thanks

Another workaround for that is to add another staff below the staff you're working on.

For example, if your bottom staff is a Cello, go to score setup and add Basic > treble (or bass it doesn't matter)

Make sure you add this below the Cello staff or drag it down there. You should now be able to add notes with two ledger lines below on the Cello staff.

The extra staff has to be showing to be able to use the ledger lines for the staff above it (the Cello staff in this example). You can hide the extra staff when you are done or delete it altogether.

With a similar idea for upper register, hide the staves above the staff you want to add the upper register ledger lines to. Or better yet without hiding those staves above, go to Score > Full Score Options > More > Staff Spacing > 7.

Once you change the score spacing and you have that extra staff below your lowest real staff, you'll be able to add many more ledger lines below and above.

Another option is to write in a different octave then select the section and transpose up or down.
by davidlarson6 on Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:02 pm
Yeah, they claim it's a limitation caused by staff spacing, but that doesn't make sense, given that the ledger-line issue exists even with a single staff in "continuous" view, where there could be no possible confusion about which staff you're inserting the note into.

It's also completely inconsistent. You're only allowed one ledger line below the staff (before the workaround), but you're allowed 4 ledger lines above the staff (which still isn't enough for the ranges of stringed instruments.)

You ought to be able to click-select the staff, thus leaving no doubt about your intentions, and then place the note anywhere you want, even outside the normal range of the instrument (many instruments are capable of producing pitches outside their "official" ranges. (I was a tuba player in my youth, and I could produce everything from a pedal-tone to a not-very-pleasant Bb in the middle of the treble clef. About 4 octaves. :) )

DKLarson

by acequantum on Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:22 pm
I know. It should just be normal for the staves to function with ledger lines without having to add staves below or change the Staff spacing.

The extra staff and staff spacing does work though and will prevent you from having to drag notes down or up.

Ah ha! You were the one playing trumpet parts on the tuba in the back row! :D
by davidlarson6 on Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:35 pm
A lot went on in the back row. ;)

DKLarson

by madisonfinley on Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:08 pm
Put a trumpet mouthpiece in a tuba, and it's no problem at all playing trumpet-range parts. You just wouldn't like the sound...

Ask me how I might know this.

Windows 11 Home, Notion 6, Studio One 6. Intel i9, 32 GB RAM
by davidlarson6 on Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:05 pm
madisonfinley wrotePut a trumpet mouthpiece in a tuba

I've heard that sound! :D

A lot of strange sounds come out of a high school band practice room... :lol:

DKLarson

10 posts
Page 1 of 1