Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
Under "Rewire Setup" in Cubase I am only seeing Sibelius 7 and Reason as options for Rewire.
I tried multiple times to open up Cubase, then Notion in order to see if I could find an option to Rewire Notion into Cubase but it is not working. How do I make the Rewire connection to Cubase?
by Surf.Whammy on Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:18 pm
craigvanhise wroteUnder "Rewire Setup" in Cubase I am only seeing Sibelius 7 and Reason as options for Rewire.
I tried multiple times to open up Cubase, then Notion in order to see if I could find an option to Rewire Notion into Cubase but it is not working. How do I make the Rewire connection to Cubase?

I downloaded and installed the trial version of Cubase LE AI Elements v11 and got it working with NOTION 6 for doing ReWire . . . :)

THOUGHTS

I use Studio One Professional 5 as my primary Digital Audio Workstation (DAW); but I do occasional experiments with Cubase to help people with ReWire--but not the version that requires a USB dongle, hence Cubase Elements . . .

As you can see in the YouTube video, it works nicely with NOTION 6 when the VSTi virtual instruments (IK Multimedia "Syntronik" in this example) are hosted directly in NOTION, in which case NOTION sends audio to Cubase on ReWire channels . . .

phpBB [video]

I do everything on the Mac, and at present my primary machine is a Mac Pro (Mid 2010) running macOS Mojave . . .

I have not done anything with Cubase in a while, so it took me about 30 minute4s to make senses of it . . .

The Cubase graphic user interface (GUI) is a bit alien and appears to be separated into parts; but the might be a matter of my not knowing how to configure it . . .

It took me a while to find the mixing board, but I found it . . .

I have not done an experiment with VSTi virtual instruments hosed in Cubase but played via External MIDI staves in NOTION, but I think the should work, although I have no plans to try it . . .

For practical purposes I have proved that Cubase does ReWire with NOTION when NOTION is sending audio via ReWire channels to Cubase, at least for Cubase LE AI Elements v11 . . .

SUGGESTIONS

When ReWire is not working, it's possible the computer (Mac or Windows) has become confused for some reason, in which case rebooting is a good idea . . .

Obviously, you want to start Cubase first to make it the ReWire host controller, after which you will start NOTION to make it the ReWire helper device . . .

If you are doing this on a Windows machine, then I cannot be much help; but it's working nicely on the Mac Pro (Mid 2010) running macOS Mojave here in the sound isolation studio . . .

Call me "cheap", but I prefer to do everything on computers that are at least 10 years-old . . .

The Mac Pro (Mid 2010) runs all the latest software--except IK Multimedia MODO DRUM, which requires a processor with AVX vector arithmetic support--and it saves me a lot of money by not buying a new Apple computer . . .

It also makes it. possible for me to avoid the Apple Silicon (M1) nonsense, which is going to be a big mess for years . . .

The last time Apple did something like this--when they dropped the Power PC and went to Intel--it took some music companies several years to redesign and code new versions for the Intel platform . . .

Windows probably is just as big of a mess, or soon will be since they have no choice but to follow Apple and to do something equally annoying and disrupting . . .

SUMMARY

It works on the Mac Pro (Mid 2010) running macOS Mojave here in the sound isolation studio . . .

If it's not working on your computer, then it's probably not configured correctly . . .

This is all that comes to mind at the moment . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

P. S. I need to sleep for a while, but I might do a more detailed YouTube video later, although I make no promises . Getting DAW applications and NOTION configured correctly for ReWire is different for each DAW application, so it can be a bit confusing . . .

As I recall, I had to do something in each of the three Cubase windows shown in the YouTube video (see above) . . .

There are a few important settings for NOTION, as well. Mostly it's a matter of checking the "Enable ReWire" option in NOTION Preferences, in which case quitting NOTION and then restarting NOTION is important, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by Surf.Whammy on Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:56 pm
Check NOTION Preferences on the "General" tab . . . :)

THOUGHTS

Cubase does ReWire, so it's likely a simple problem . . .

Check that you have the "Enable ReWire" option set in NOTION Preferences on the "General" tab as shown in the screen capture (see image below) . . .

[NOTE: I do everything on the Mac, and I check both of the relevant options. If you are doing this on a Windows machine, then check the "Enable ReWire" option. I recall reading somewhere that on a Windows machine you can check either "Enable ReWire" or "Allow Network Discovery" but not both; so for doing ReWire, check the "Enable ReWire" option to set it. This might have been for the first version when Studio One Professional and NOTION started doing "Send To . . ." and ReWire MIDI. I do not find this restriction in the current NOTION User Guide, so try setting both of these relevant options . . . :reading: ]

It's also important to exit and then to restart NOTION after you set the "Enable ReWire" option; and it's also good to reboot the computer to clear all the system memory settings, some of which might be confused . . .

Start Cubase first, and then start NOTION second . . .

Cubase should see NOTION . . .

If Cubase does not see NOTION by default after setting the "Enable ReWire" option in NOTION Preferences and quitting and restarting NOTION, then you probably need to discover NOTION and to add it as a ReWire helper device, although I am not certain how to do this on a Windows machine . . .

Cubase Elements 11 saw NOTION on my Mac Pro (Mid 2010) running macOS Mojave as soon as I installed Cubase Elements 11 and created a new song . . .

As a general rule, when something like this happens, it's nearly always a simple setting or something that was missed, one way or another . . .

As shown in the YouTube video in my previous post, Cubase Elements 11 does ReWire with NOTION, and I think this strongly suggest Cubase Professional does, as well . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!

3 posts
Page 1 of 1