Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have a few bars of tied whole notes, but the last bar always stops early on beat 2. It doesn't matter how many bars there are the last bar always behaves like this. The sequencer overlay shows the correct note lengths.

Capture.PNG

The red bar only plays for two beats.

Any ideas?
by Surf.Whammy on Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:34 pm
This happens a lot, and it depends on the virtual instrument and other factors . . . :roll:

THOUGHTS

I use NOTION as a ReWire helper device in ReWire sessions with Studio One Professional 5 as the ReWire host controller . . .

With the exception of Realivox Blue (RealiTone)--my favorite virtual female soprano--all the AUi and VSTi virtual instruments are hosted in Studio One Professional 5 . . .

NOTION has music notation on ReWire MIDI staves, and this is what plays the AUi and VSTi virtual instruments hosted in Studio One Professional 5--except for Realivox Blue, which is hosted directly in NOTION, since it's easier to do the keyswitches that specify the phonetic scripts and other control parameters for her singing . . .

The way longer duration notes and ties behave depends on the specific virtual instrument; and it varies considerably . . .

Some instruments play notes in a specific duration no matter what the actual music notation specifies, where for example the note rings just as long for an eighth note as for a whole note . . .

Other instruments behave the way one expects they should behave . . .

When an instrument note ends abruptly or early and I want it to fade gradually, I tie a set of notes in a long string and then do the fade via an Automation Track in Studio One Professional 5 . . .

This is easy to do once you make sense of Automation in Studio One Professional 5 . . .

Another technique is to use reverberation and an echo unit in Studio One Professional 5 as a way to cause a note to ring or to sustain longer than it would without the reverberation and echo unit . . .

When working with AUi and VSTi virtual instruments, it's matter of the way the virtual instrument engine generates notes, and this depends on the sampled-sounds for the instrument . . .

Some instruments only have one sampled-sound for each note, which typically is short duration . . .

NOTION sends the proper duration request, but what happens is determined by the virtual instrument engine and its sampled sounds . . .

If NOTION requests audio for a whole note but the virtual instrument engine sends the audio for an eighth note or half-note, then this is what NOTION plays, even though the music notation specifies a whole note or a string of tied whole notes . . .

For example, if it's a SampleTank 4 (IK Multimedia) grand piano but the notes do not sustain, then try a different grand piano or try one using MachFive 3 (MOTU), EW ComposerCloud X, Miroslav Philharmonik 2 (IK Multimedia), and so forth . . .

One of the virtual grand pianos will have notes that behave the way you desire . . .

Another strategy is to record the audio onto an Audio Track in Studio One Professional 5 and then to edit the audio . . .

Studio One Professional 5 has tools for editing audio, and this strategy can provide a solution . . .

Audacity has tools for this, as does Melodyne (Celemony) . . .

Audacity

[NOTE: Melodyne Essential is included in Studio One Professional 5. It's a full-featured version of Melodyne; but I have the Melodyne Editor, which has more functions and capabilities . . . ]

Melodyne (Celemony)

Melodyne Versions (Celemony)

Lots of FUN! :)
Last edited by Surf.Whammy on Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by aaron79 on Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:21 pm
Thanks for the response. I think I've managed to solve it. I had a rule that was cutting off the notes.

3 posts
Page 1 of 1