Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello,

I have a music xml file that I generated from Sibelius. It's straight 8th notes and when I import into Notion all the 8th note beams are separate. Just trying to join them so that each beat is represented by 2 beamed 8th notes. I checked in SeeSCore2 and it looks correct so something is off with Notion. I have tried using the beam tool and it does nothing.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Notion.jpg
Notion.jpg (4.93 KiB) Viewed 1822 times
by Surf.Whammy on Mon May 03, 2021 3:01 pm
The Beam Tool is easy to use . . . :)

THOUGHTS

If you look closely, you can see the outline of a vertical rectangle around the "B" of "BEAM" once you select the Beam Tool . . .

This vertical rectangle needs to be in position over the note you want to beam, and then when you click on the note, it will be beamed with the note to the immediate right . . .

If you want to have two pairs of eighth notes under a four-note beam, then after beaming the pairs of eighth notes, position the "B" over the second eighth note of the first pair and click to beam it with the two already beamed and paired eighth notes . . .

Experiment with it a few times, and it will make sense . . . .

[NOTE: Graphic User Interface (GUI) software engineers tend to be mousers--at least whenever possible, because it requires less busy work and avoids needing to remember shortcuts and hot keys--so stuff usually is easier when you are a mouser, too, and this makes it possible to use right-click context menus . . . :punk: ]

phpBB [video]

Lots of FUN! :)

P. S. The correct terminology is that non-beamed eighth notes are "flagged" not "beamed", which is picky, but so what . . .

One eighth note by itself is flagged, but two or more eighth notes can be beamed, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :reading:

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by jayrmon on Mon May 03, 2021 3:44 pm
Thank you but it still does not work. It's like something is locked. The beams will not change. I opened a new fresh score, threw some 89th notes in and it work perfectly but for some reason with this score it won't budge. It is like the formatting is somehow stuck.
by Surf.Whammy on Tue May 04, 2021 12:17 am
jayrmon wroteThank you but it still does not work. It's like something is locked. The beams will not change. I opened a new fresh score, threw some 8th notes in and it work perfectly but for some reason with this score it won't budge. It is like the formatting is somehow stuck.

These are a few suggestions . . . :)

THOUGHTS

When something like this happens--which usually is a rare event but not so rare that it never happens-- I think the problem is that the file is corrupted, confused, locked (as you speculate), or something . . .

There are two primary ways to proceed:

(1) Do a "Save As . . . ", which will create a new copy, and the copy might not have the problem, since even though "Save As . . . " is a high-level action, it might revisit everything as part of saving. This might work . . .

(2) Export the score as MusicXML; close NOTION; restart NOTION; and then import the MusicXML you just exported. This is more likely to work; and if so, then save the new score, giving it a different name . . .

One of these, should work; but if not, then there is a variation of the first strategy, which is to edit each of the staves by moving one note upward in pitch and then moving it downward in pitch to the original pitch. This causes NOTION to think the staves have changed in some significant way, even though all you did was more one note in each staff up a half-step and then down a half-step to its original pitch, which is easier to do with notes that are not explicitly sharped or flatted, of course . . .

After doing this, do step (1), where the combination of "Save As . . . " and giving it a new name is more likely to cause NOTION to read the entire score and rewrite it to the "Save As . . . " file, where the expectation is that NOTION will correct any confusion as it rewrites all the staves . . .

Yet another strategy if it's only one staff where you want to do beaming is to export only that staff as MusicXML, which you then can import to create a new NOTION score with only that staff, and then you can copy the staff and paste it into the original score--copying the notes and pasting the notes into the original staff . . .

One of these strategies should work, but if not, then there might be another way to do it . . .

The high-level perspective is that you want to do something which causes NOTION to examine the score and rewrite the data, which will cause NOTION to correct any problems or confusion . . .

There are different versions of MusicXML, and this might be the problem, in which case exporting it from NOTOIN as MusicXML will cause NOTION to use its version of MusicXML . . .

NOTION can read its own exported MusicXML, so this might be a solution . . .

SUMMARY

Based on your stating that beaming works in a new NOTION score, I think the solution is to do something to cause NOTION to examine the imported MusicXML and then write it as a NOTION score but in a way which is different from importing the MusicXML and then saving it, which you did . . .

The software engineering perspective is that some actions only do the minimal amount of work, but there are ways to cause everything to be revisited, and this is what you want to do in this scenario . . .

I use this technique in Studio One Professional to cause it to think something has changed when it has not changed . . .

The "Save" menu option is grayed when Studio One Professional thinks nothing has changed, so I move a volume slider down and then back to its original level, at which time Studio One Professional thinks something has changed, which then enables the "Save" menu item . . .

It's a stupid software engineering trick, but it works . . . :P

NOTIOIN is different, and the "Save" menu item is always enabled; but in Studio One Professional the "Save" menu item is grayed when Studio One Professional thinks nothing has changed since the last save . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

P. S. When I was experimenting with the Beam Tool, sometimes it did not appear to work; but after looking closely, I noticed there is a nearly invisible vertical rectangle that indicates the note over which the "B" of "BEAM" is located . . .

If the nearly invisible vertical rectangle is to the left or to the right of the note, then nothing happens, because the "B" is not on the note. Instead it's between two notes, hence there is nothing to beam . . .

This is easier to see when you zoom-in and make the staves and notes larger, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :+1

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by michaelmyers1 on Tue May 04, 2021 6:51 pm
jayrmon wroteThank you but it still does not work. It's like something is locked. The beams will not change. I opened a new fresh score, threw some 89th notes in and it work perfectly but for some reason with this score it won't budge. It is like the formatting is somehow stuck.

If you post the Notion file, I'd be happy to take a look at it.

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Ventura 13.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com

5 posts