Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
IK Multimedia is having an 80-percent super discount sale on the full version of Miroslav Philharmonik 2 . . . :)

THOUGHTS

Being among a handful of folks who are not challenged by 5th grade arithmetic, I am not entirely certain about the "up to 80-percent" discount claim, since the MSRP for Mirlslav Philharmonik is $299.99 (US), and the discount sale price is $99.99 (US), but so what . . .

With the 29 Jam Points I used, the total discount is 76-percent, but since there is no sales tax, add an approximately 8.5-percent savings to the grand total, which overall puts it above 80-percent in savings . . .

[NOTE: For reference, I buy a lot of IK Mulltimedia effects plug-ins--mostly echo units, but more recently an excellent emulation of the classic Leslie rotating loudspeaker, organ cabinet--which maps to having plenty of Jam Points, which can be used for up to 30-percent of the price of each IK Multimedia product, said Leslie being used on Realivox Blue (RealiTone), my favorite virtual female soprano, in the totally Stupid musical genre song, "Magic Teepee Dance" . . . ]

phpBB [video]

It's $99.99 (US); but I i used 29 Jam Points, so for me it was $70.99, which is fabulous . . .

Miroslav Philharmonik 2 ~ Super Discount Sale (IK Multimedia)

INSTALLING

[NOTE: After I downloaded and installed the complete set of original samples and data, everything is working nicely now. I keyed on the five download files included with the license information and didn't check the downloads in my user area. The correct sequence is first to download and install the 58GB of original samples and data and then to do the updates using the five files. It's all working nicely now. For reference, I use SampleTank 3 here in the sound isolation studio . . . :ugeek: ]

There are five downloads of samples, but i think they are updates to the original set of samples . . .

I downloaded and installed the five files, but all that appears in SampleTank 3 are the names of the Mirioslav Philharmonik 2 folder and its subfolders--no actual samples, although there are a few samples in the "Shared" folder, but just a few . . .

When I look at "My Products" in my IK Multimedia "User Area", there are a bunch of sample files for Miroslav Philharmonik in the "Sounds Download" section; so I am downloading them now--10 at a time--which will take a while, since there are 16 of them, and each file is approximately 2G to 4GB . . .

Overall, I am guessing this is about 40GB to 50GB of samples and associated data, hence it will take a while, but so what . . .

This is the information about samples and instruments:

"Over 58 GB of 24-bit / 96kHz samples"

"Over 2,700 instruments"

[SOURCE: Miroslav Philharmonik 2 ~ Specs (IK Multimedia) ]

I think it will make sense and work nicely, sooner or later . . .

Mostly, I think I did the downloads in reverse order--doing the updates first before doing the original sample files . . .

Fabulous! :)

P. S. It took about two hours to download and install everything, and now it's working nicely . . .

Hooray! :+1

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by frank.crow on Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:55 pm
I purchased it for about the same money using my jam points too.

I am confused about the installation though. I downloaded those 16 sound files (took) a while. When I open Sample Tank 4 Miroslav is now active and functional.

My question is those additional 5 update files won’t install for me. I click the install icon and it begins the process but then abandons it claiming it can’t find the files.

I opened the folders and it seems that these are just another way to download the 16 sample libraries.

Am I wrong?

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Processor: 3.0 GHz Intel Core I7
Memory: 16 GB
Presonus. Studio One Pro V6
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)
Softube. Console 1 MK3 (pending)
Presonus. Faderport 8 (dual)

"God's grace" :D
by Surf.Whammy on Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:58 pm
frank.crow wroteI purchased it for about the same money using my jam points too.

I am confused about the installation though. I downloaded those 16 sound files (took) a while. When I open Sample Tank 4 Miroslav is now active and functional.

My question is those additional 5 update files won’t install for me. I click the install icon and it begins the process but then abandons it claiming it can’t find the files.

I opened the folders and it seems that these are just another way to download the 16 sample libraries.

Am I wrong?

I did it in what I think is the reverse way, so at present I don't have an answer other than that it's working nicely here in the sound isolation studio . . . :)

THOUGHTS

I can verify that running the five "update" files does not download and install the 16 data files and Miroslav Philharmonik 2 application, at least here in the sound isolation studio . . .

On my Mac Pro (Early 2008), it decided to install Miroslav Philharmonik 2 to the SampleTank 3 location, where I already have a bunch of relevant stuff, including Miroslav Philharmonik 1 and legacy instruments and sampled-sound libraries going back to SampleTank 2 XL and the various collections available around the same time, perhaps as long as 10 years ago . . .

In most scenarios, I prefer the legacy instruments, which originally were 16-bits or perhaps 32-bits but when imported to SampleTank 3 are up-converted to work with SampleTank 3--a process which takes hours and hours, plus requires rebuilding the SampleTank 3 database, which also takes a while . . .

I have SampleTank 4 and use it on a newer Mac, but it took so long to get all the legacy instruments and corresponding sample-sounds imported to SampleTank 3 that I am following the "if it's not broken, then do not 'fix' it" rule . . . :+1

After making the purchase, I downloaded the five files which appeared to be the logical thing to do based on the available information; and then I ran the five installs, which worked but there were no apparent instruments when viewed in SampleTank 3 (IK Multimedia), the version of SampleTank I am using on the Mac Pro (Early 2008) . . .

At this point, I did a bit more research and discovered the 16 files in the "My Products" section of my IK Multimedia "User Area" and realized that I was doing everything in reverse order, or so I guess . . .

Next, I downloaded and ran all 16 of the sampled-sound libraries, as well as the additional download and install of Miroslav Philmarmonik 2 application, which I ran first, followed by the 16 files and data installs . . .

Then, everything started working as expected, and there are instruments with sampled-sound data . . .

From what I recall, the five downloads and data mostly created a set of subfolders with perhaps a handful of what appeared to be instruments--not many instruments, but perhaps five or so, mostly in what to me appeared to be odd subfolders, hence I think the five files just added some perhaps missing or updated instruments . . .

As time allows, I might run this on my backup Mac Pro (Early 2008) in the correct sequence to determine what the five files actually do; but my thinking at present is either (a) that the five-file update can be done first, in which case it adds a handful of instruments and can be followed by doing the 16 files and Miroslav Philharmonik 2 application, itself or (b) that it probably doesn't matter so long as you run the 16 files and install the Miroslav Philharmonk 2 applications, itself . . .

After doing the downloads and installs of the five "update" files, I devoted a good bit of attention in an attempt to determine what actually was installed, and as noted (see above) it appeared this only installed a handful of "*.sti" types of files (or something similar, since I am going by memory on what the files were, although I recognized ".sti" as something relevant) . . .

What I know is that doing the five "updates" first did what I think was pretty much nothing . . .

Doing the 16 installs and installing the Miroslav Philharmonik 2 application, itself, got it working nicely . . .

If I do the backup Mac Pro (Early 2008) experiment and discover what actually happens when done in the correct sequence, I will post follow-up information, but I think it's OK to do it in reverse order; and doing it in the correct order probably also is good . . .

Another possibility is that the 16 files need to be downloaded but not run, and then the five "update" files might be high-level install "helpers", but perhaps not . . .

When I ran the five "update" files, probably out of sequence, I do not recall that they asked where to find the 16 data files, so for me it was a bit confusing and only after doing some research, I discovered the actual 16 data files in "My Products" . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

The Surf Whammys

by themaartian on Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:47 am
frank.crow wroteI purchased it for about the same money using my jam points too.

Am I wrong?

The same thing happened to me on Win10. When I moved the update files out of the subdirectory they were in to my download directory, they installed properly. I think what's happening is that the file names get too long for the app trying to do the install (too many levels of subdirectories).

So, just copy the install files to the desktop and install from there. Should work.

[Rant On]
The update files are from 2016. Five years ago. Is there ANY reason not to just incorporate the updates into the standard distribution files, so IK's users don't have to deal with garbage like this?
[Rang Off]

Intel i9, 32 GB RAM, 7 TB SSD Win 11 Pro PreSonus Studio 1810c
Studio One 6 Pro MuseScoreMelodyne 5 Studio Acoustica Pro 7 Guitar Pro 8
Gig Performer 4 NI S61 MK3 Focal Shape 65 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro, DT 770 Pro
by Surf.Whammy on Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:14 am
Everything is working nicely, and this post has two purposes . . . :)

THOUGHTS

(1) Downloading and Installing: The standalone application (Miroslav Harmonik 2), five "update" files, and 16 sound data files work nicely, but I'm not so clear on when the five "update" files should be run . . .

The five "update" files probably do something, but at present I'm not certain exactly what they do, although I ran them in the sequence first and as best as I could determine at the time, they created an elaborate folder structure ("directory" structure in Windows) and populated a handful of data files, as explained in one of my earlier posts to this topic . . .

After discovering there were no sound data files, I checked my IK Multimedia "User Area", and in "My Products" there were 16 or so sound data files--approximately 58GB of sound data--so I downloaded and installed them, which took an hour or two, after which everything was there and working nicely . . .

[NOTE: On the Mac Pro (Early 2008) here in the sound isolation, Miroslav Philharmonik 2 is installed as a component in SampleTank 3 (IK Multimedia), which is the version of SampleTank I am using on this Mac. SampleTank is the umbrella application for all the various instruments and sampled-sound libraries; and since I started using SampleTank 2 when everything was 32-bits, I imported all my "legacy" instruments and sampled-sound libraries to SampleTank 3, which then converted them for use as 64-bit applications and so forth, all in the SampleTank 3 environment.
When SampleTank 2 and SampleTank XL were current, there were add-on collections of instruments, and I got all of them in one of IK Multimedia's "Group Buy" extravaganzas, where buying one collection qualified me for some number of free collections based on how large the "Group" was (basically, every time someone bought one collection, the size of the "Group" increased, and at various levels more free stuff was added for each member of the "Group". Mostly, IK Multimedia would have nearly insane "Group Buy" promotions when they needed money to build a new factory in Italy, which they probably continue to do regularly. Counting all the "legacy" stuff, SampleTank 3, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, and Syntronik, as well as the various Collections, it probably maps to 10 to 15 thousand instruments or variations thereof, where mostly out of curiosity I tried to count all the articulations and combinations of French Horns in Miroslav Philharmonik 1 but stopped after the count was around 150; so it's probably not 10 to 15 thousand instruments, but instead is a reasonable number of instruments, each of which likely has hundreds of variations. Regardless it's a bunch of stuff, and it's useful to have. It's so much stuff that it can take a while to navigate through the various lists of instruments; but once you have a subset of favorites, you can create a custom, user-defined MULTI and put your favorite instruments in the MULTI, at which point you just need to navigate to the MULTI, and everything is there, which makes it easier to find and easier to use . . .
]

And there also was a separate download and install for the standalone Miroslav Philharnonik 2 application, which I also downloaded and installed. I did this on the Mac; and regarding the five "update" files, I think they did something which on the Mac is not inconsistent with the 16 sound data files; so even though I might have done this in reverse order, perhaps either (a) I did it in the correct order or (b) I did it backwards but it did something, hence I am happy . . .

This is not a problem, although it is a bit confusing, but so what . . .

(2) 25th Anniversary FREE Jam Points: I received an email from IK Multimedia yesterday or thereabout informing me that this is the 25th Anniversary for IK Multimedia, and in recognition of the anniversary they added 25 Jam Points to my account. I think this will happen for everyone who has an IK Multimedia account, which you get by registering--not registering a specific product, but just creating an IK Multimedia account . . .

If this is the way it works, then for new folks who do not have any Jam Points, I think creating an IK Multimedia account probably gets you 25 Jam Points, at which time you can purchase Miroslav Philharmonik 2 for $99.99 and use the 25 Jam Points to lower the price by $25 (US) . . .

I have no way to verify this hypothesis, because I have been using IK Multimedia products for 10 to 15 years, hence already have an IK Multimedia account . . .

My suggestion for folks who do not have an IK Multimedia account is to download and install the FREE applications and sound data files, which will map to creating an IK Multimedia account, since this is one of the steps in installing and activating the FREE applications . . .

FREE Applications (IK Multimedia)

These are the current FREE Applications, and there is some good stuff in them which is fully functional:

AmpliTube 5 Custom Shop
SampleTank 4 Custom Shop
T-RackS 5 Custom Shop
Syntronik FREE

I am not a spokesperson or whatever for IK Multimedia; but based on my experiences, I think the motivation for the 25th Anniversary Jam Points is a combination of (a) a nice gift to celebrate a company milestone and (b) a way to encourage folks to buy more stuff . . . :P

If downloading, installing, registering, and activating the FREE application maps to getting the 25th Anniversary Jam Points, then do this before buying Miroslav Philharmonik 2, so that you have 25 Jam Points to use when you purchase Miroslav Philharmonik 2 . . .

If it works the way I think it probably works, then instead of costing $99.99, it costs $74.99 (US) and saves you $25 on top of the discounted price, which is a 67-percent discount over the MSRP of $299.99, more or less . . .

And I think you get additional Jam Points for purchasing Miroslav Philharmonik 2, even when you use Jam Points to pay for part of it . . .

SUMMARY

Even though the five "update" files so far have confused everyone, including me, so what . . .

Once you download and install the 16 sound data files and do the separate download and install of the standalone Miroslav Philharmonik 2 application, everything works nicely . . .

It's an attractive price, and I think that by getting the FREE Applications first, you probably will get the 25th Anniversary Jam Points, which you then can use for the Miroslav Philharmonik 2 purchase to lower the price to $74.99, thereby saving an additional $25 (US) . . .

The perspective here in the sound isolation studio is that there is a virtual festival of digital music production applications, VSTi virtual instruments and their respective sampled-sound libraries, third-party virtual instruments and respective sampled-sound libraries and scripts for Kontakt (Native Instruments), VST effects plug-ins, and other fascinating and useful stuff that it makes sense to get more stuff when it's on sale at discounted prices . . .

Overall, you will spend all your money, but by taking advantage of discounted prices, special sales, and so forth, you get more stuff . . .

Get on the email lists, and you get notified when there are discounted prices, special sales, and FREE stuff (which actually is FREE and fully functional) . . .

Whether music is a hobby or a professional activity, they're going to get all your money sooner or later; but by focusing on finding discounts, special sales, and FREE stuff, at least you get more stuff for you money . . .

It's like the recent 50-percent discount sale that Bolder Sounds had on one weekend . . .

Overall I saved about $400, which was very good, even though I also spent about $400 . . .

Sales are good . . . :+1

Lots of FUN! :)

The Surf Whammys

5 posts
Page 1 of 1