Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have just installed Notion on my MacBook, via a Sphere subscription. I also have Studio 5 on the same MacBook and Notion on both my iPad and iPhone: all of these run perfectly (at first glance).

Notion is very unresponsive. If I choose the Piano, Drum Library or Fretboard from the toolbar, they don't appear at all until I scroll the screen slightly, at which point they appear immediately. It's almost as though I've run out of RAM but I have a new machine with 16GB.

The Fretboard is particularly unusable, choosing some notes works: they appear as dots on the fretboard and sound immediately and choosing others... nothing happens: no dot, no sound.

It really is as though there is not enough RAM to handle these simple requests and a "refresh" via scrolling the screen has to take place.

Nothing else on my system runs slowly, even other Persons Sphere software.

Anyone else having this issue. Anyone got a solution?

Cheers, Mike
by Surf.Whammy on Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:45 am
I do everything primarily on a Mac Pro (Early 2008) running macOS El Capitan (10.11.6), but so what . . . :ugeek:

THOUGHTS

There is a discussion on macOS Big Sur in another topic, and you are encouraged to read it . . .

NOTION and Big Sur (PreSonus NOTION Forum)

One person had problems eerily similar to the problem you are reporting, and according to his testimony, PreSonus Support advised him to get a wired mouse, since he was using a wireless mouse (Apple Magic Mouse 1 or perhaps Apple Magic Mouse 2) . . .

Switching to a wired mouse solved the problem, which to me strongly suggests macOS Big Sur is what older folks like me call a "core hog" and "slice grabber", which in succinct terms maps to doing a lot of wheel-spinning while accomplishing absolutely nothing of any possible value toward the goal of producing digital music . . .

If you have access to a wired mouse, then give it a try . . .

If using a wired mouse solves the problem, then there you are, except there probably are other problems, because (a) why would switching to a wired mouse be a solution for anything other than a wireless mouse with no batteries and (b) it makes no sense . . .

The other option is that if you made a bootable, full backup of your Mac before you upgraded to madOS Big Sur, then (a) using the bootable, full backup revert to the way your Mac was when it was working correctly and (b) have nothing to do with macOS Big Sur again . . .

Observe that I am doing everything on a 13 year-old Mac that has a 2004 Apple 30" Cinema HD Display, the latter of which I got on eBay about a year or so ago for $250 ((US) pllus $50 for shipping, which was around the time I got an Apple ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB graphic card on eBay for $225 with free shipping and a paid extended warranty . . .

I can't upgrade any of the software (macOS or digital music production), but so what . . .

[NOTE: I have a 2012 MacBook Retina running macOS Catalina and use it to do experiments with newer versions of digital music production software. And I have access to a $6,000+ 2019 MacBook Pro that freezes and is an ongoing case with Apple Support and now is running macOS Big Sur based on Apple Support demanding that macOS Big Sur be installed in order for the problem to be troubleshooted, something about which I am not happy--but I made a bootable, full backup when macOS Catalina was the current version of macOS, hence I can revert once I provide Apple Support sufficiently compelling, factual evidence so they will have no option but to replace the machine, which I expect to be an Intel-based MacBook Pro onto which I can install macOS Catalina using the bootable, full backup . . . :ugeek: ]

Everything works on the Mac Pro (Early 2008(, and I am able to realize my ongoing dreams of composing, performing, and recording truly stupid songs in my newly coined "Stupid" musical genre, including such recent Stupid gems as "The Magic People", "The Ballad of Dare L. Dupree", "Dark Psychic Forces", my Surf Music themed Christmas song, "Santa's Got a Woody", "The Magic Teepee Dance", and my latest truly Stupid song, "She Was My Everything (But Now She's My Nothing", performed by my Pretend Country Western singer, Ferliss Nuberton . . . :P

[NOTE: As with every YouTube music video I post, this is best enjoyed when listening with studio-quality headphones like SONY MDR-7506 headphones (a personal favorite) at hight volume level . . . ]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Project: Simple and Stupid (PreSonus NOTION Forum)

Lots of FUN! :)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by mikeknott1 on Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:41 pm
Thanks for the response (and the music :))

I am not using a wireless mouse, however, just the trackpad of my Mac (which I have had no issues with elsewhere). Further research (including the link you posted) seem to suggest the issue is more likely to be with Big Sur than with Notion. I'll continue to investigate and post any findings.

3 posts
Page 1 of 1