Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Anyone know where I can get hold of a good Uilleann Pipes VST?
by Surf.Whammy on Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:16 pm
There are several sets of Uilleann Pipes that work with NOTION and Studio One Professional . . . :)

THOUGHTS

These sets require Kontakt 5 (Native Instruments) but probably work with Kontakt 6, as well:

Ilya Efimov Uilleann Pipes Sample Library for Kontakt 5

Dicky Deegan’s Uilleann Pipes

[NOTE: Bolder Sounds is one of my favorites sources for specialized instruments, and their "BOB Celtic Pipes" is excellent. It requires the full version of Kontakt 5 for full-featured playing and tonality . . . ]

BOB Celtic Pipes (Bolder Sounds)

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

KONTAKT (NATIVE INSTRUMENTS)

If you do not have Kontakt, then it's useful to know that Native Instruments tends to have a 50-percent discount sale at midyear and then another 50-percent discount sale around the Thanksgiving Holiday . . .

Instead of the standard $400 (US) MSRP, when they have a 50-percent discount sale it's $200, which is a significant savings . . .

Here in the sound isolation studio, I consider Kontakt to be a primary requirement; and I use Kontakt frequently in my songs with a variety of instruments and sampled-sound libraries--many from Bolder Sounds but also Realivox Blue (RealiTone), my favorite virtual female soprano . . .

[NOTE: Over the past few years, Realivox Blue has been on sale for $99 or thereabout every once in a while, so watch for it, although I think the standard price is reasonable. Once you discover how to do the phonetic scripting and Melodyne enhancements, you have a very realistic virtual female soprano who sings exactly what you tell her to sing. The better your instructions as her choirmaster, the better she sings. It requires a good bit of learning about phonetics and so forth, but it's affordable and you soon have a female soprano in your virtual musical repertoire . . . ]

Realivox Blue (RealiTone)

[NOTE: This is an experimental song I did to discover how to use Realivox Blue. The concept is that sometime in the future cyboorgs are nearly indistinguishable from humans, and the only definitive way to make the determination is to taste them, since they have the unique taste of AXE Anarchy antiperspirant, where the idea in part is a parody of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (Nirvana), which apparently was inspired by the smell of the teen antiperspirant called "Teen Spirit". For reference, I used the Melodyne Editor (Celemony) to enhance the enunciation, diction, beginnings and endings of words, and so forth, which makes it possible to move Realivox Blue into nearly human tonality and clarity. I like K-pop female vocal groups, so this started with the idea of using Realivox Blue to create a pretend K-pop female vocal group, which I probably can do now that controlling, phonetic scripting, and humanizing Realivox Blue make sense, and I know how to do it. This is Realivox Blue singing, and it took several months to get it this far in terms of sounding realistically human, at least some of the time. The word "taste" required a lot of work in the Melodyne Editor, as did "A.N.A.R.C.H.Y", but it sounds good. The key to "taste" sound realistic is adding the phonetic endings, which is explained in the project (see link below) . . . :+1 ]

phpBB [video]

Project: Realivox Blue (PreSonus NOTION Forum)

SUMMARY

I recommend what I know and have verified, and in this instance I know Bolder Sounds products and Kontakt; so these are my recommendations . . .

Specifically, I have the Bolder Sounds "Celtic Pipe V2", which now is called "BOB Celtic Pipes" . . .

The other sets probably are good, but I do not have them and am not familiar with those companies . . .

If you have a MIDI keyboard with tone and modulation wheels, and are a somewhat proficient keyboardist, then you can to bends, slides, and other tonal techniques . . .

I think you can do this when the music notation is on ReWire MIDI staves in NOTION and the pipes are hosted in Studio One Professional, where the technique is to record the MIDI sent from NOTION and then to use the Studio Onel Professional MIDI Editor to control the "wheels" and other aspects, although I have not verified this . . .

On the more wacky side of things, I did an experimental song to determine how crazy one can get with the various articulations of the native NOTION guitars, and it's sounds a bit like an Irish "river dance" type of thing, although there are no pipes, as I recall . . .

[NOTE: This was done several years ago in NOTION 3, and it's proof that the native NOTION guitars can do mind-boggling articulations. I play lead guitar, so it's easier for me to make an electric guitar sound like pipes than to do it with pipes, strange as that might be . . . ]

phpBB [video]

Lots of FUN! :)
Last edited by Surf.Whammy on Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by torkbeavis on Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:27 pm
Awesome! Thank you, Surf.Whammy!
by Surf.Whammy on Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:15 pm
Bolder Sounds is having a 50-percent discount sale this weekend. Bolder Sounds is contributing all the proceeds to the Elevations Credit Union Victims' Assistance Fund to help the victims of the terrorist attack and their survivors and families . . . :+1

THOUGHTS

This is an excellent time to get some unique, scripted instruments and sampled-sound libraries to use with the full version of Kontakt (Native Instruments) . . .

[NOTE: Kontakt (Native Instruments) uses a scripting language and other programming strategies to help developers like Bolder Sounds and RealiTone provide enhanced functionality for their instruments and sampled-sound libraries. This is how options, buttons, mod wheel definitions, and so forth are aded to instruments; and it includes support for enhanced articulations, playing styles, and so forth. I call this "scripting" and "scripted instruments" to emphasize the internal programming that is included with the Bolder Sounds products for Kontakt. As the musician and composer, you do not need to do any of this type of scripting, because it's done behind the scenes in the user interfaces for the various instruments. Some of the options and parameters are set via keyswitches. Realivox Blue (RealiTone)--my favorite virtual female soprano--has similar functionality, but the words and phrases she sings are determined by phonetic scripts that the musician and composer writes, which is a different type of scripting and is done by the user, where phonetic scripts are assigned ti deep bass keys and then are activated by keyswitches as part of "playing" Realivox Blue, which is a matter of (a) providing phonetic scripts for her to sing and (b) providing notes for her to sing--the notes tell Realivox Blue the pitches to sing, and the phonetic scripts tell her the words to sing to the melodic or harmonic pitches . . . ]

I like the Handbells, Crystal Glasses, Tibetan Singing Bowls, Best of Bolder (BOB) Celtic Pipes, Bavarian Zither, Pure Mandolin, and a few others that I have and use . . .

[NOTE: The handbells are my favorite, along with the crystal glasses; and the handbells are full-range, including deep bass handbells . . . ]

Randy Richards of the Denver Bronze and his C2 Handbell affectionately named “Tiny”

There are more instruments on my shopping list--Vietnamese Dan Bau, Electric Sitar, Grand Music Boxes, Guitarron, Harmoniums of the Opera, Pure Lute, Cimbalom V2, The Harmonium V2, BOB World Music, and Virginal--and this is an excellent time to shop . . .

Lots of textures and tonalities! :)

This is the text of the Bolder Sounds Newsletter I received this morning Friday March 26, 2021; and the sale starts at midnight Friday March 26, 2021 MST and runs until midnight Sunday March 28, 2021 MST . . .

Hello All,

I’m sure you have all heard about the tragic and senseless loss of life due to a mass shooting on Monday here in my hometown of Boulder, Colorado.

We will have a sale this weekend at the Bolder Sounds website with all libraries offered at 50% off - with 100% of the proceeds being donated to the Elevations Credit Union Victims' Assistance Fund for families of the victims.

All proceeds from our sale will be matched dollar for dollar through a matching grant provided by Elevations Foundation and Elevations Credit Union.

The sale will run midnight Friday (3/26) through midnight Sunday (3/28) MST.

This is an opportunity to acquire discounted Bolder Sounds libraries and support Boulder families in need from this tragedy.

* Your purchase during this sale is not considered a charitable donation. Bolder Sounds will be donating the proceeds from this sale.

Thank you.

Dennis

Bolder Sounds

I have been using scripted instruments and sampled-sound libraries from Bolder Sounds over 10 years; and they work very nicely with Kontakt (Native Instruments) . . .

Lots of FUN! :+1

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!

4 posts
Page 1 of 1