Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
12 posts
Page 1 of 1
I must say as a new user of Notion as I signed up for Sphere that I’m totally surprised that apparently Notion can’t record sustain pedal. All the other notational software including the budget versions can do that. That sort of makes Notion useless for Piano unless you don’t like using the pedal. Also when recording a piano track in Studio One 5 and sending it to Notion all the notes end up displayed in Treble Clef even though I have the split point set to A below middle C. Thanks for any suggestions and observations!
by Surf.Whammy on Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:35 pm
I think if you change the name of the track in Studio One Professional to "Piano", then it will be sent to a grand staff, but I am going by memory on this . . . :)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by ahutnick on Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:35 pm
Thanks but renaming the track did not solve the note issue and with the sustain pedal not working in Notion at least with using USB renders Notion useless for playing piano or sending piano tracks recorded in Studio One and sent over to Notion
by Bbd on Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:24 pm
Sustain pedal still is not supported in Notion.
There are feature requests for it and the developers are aware of this issue.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by ahutnick on Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:37 pm
Clearly in my opinion it’s an issue that should be addressed. That being said I’m really liking Studio One and it’s integration with Notion. It just needs to get the sustain pedal issue fixed
by Bbd on Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:51 pm
Yes, many agree with you!
Look up the FR's and vote!
Thanks.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by Surf.Whammy on Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:45 am
I made a YouTube video to show how to send Piano MIDI from Studio One Professional to NOTION . . . :)

THOUGHTS

This works nicely on the Mac, and the keys are (a) to select the Instrument Track and (b) to name it "Piano" . . .

There are some things that need to be set in Studio One Professional and NOTION Preferences, and this is explained in the YouTube video . . .

[NOTE: I created the first version of this YouTube video when I was a bit tired and made a few mistakes in the voiceover, so this afternoon I created a new version with no voiceover mistakes . . . ]

phpBB [video]

WHY I WAS A BIT TIRED

One of my nieces is visiting, and she brought her children, including her 12 year-old son--my grand nephew--and my sister wanted me to burn a year or two of letters and documents, which for security reasons is better than using a paper shredder . . .

Prior to this, I found a very sturdy 55-gallon steel drum at Amazon for about $250 with free Prime shipping . . .

I drilled some 1/2" holes in the bottom of the steel barrel and around the lower side . . .

We put the steel barrel on concrete blocks and "Uncle Surf" started the lesson on burning stuff, which ran for about 12 hours, with me having to watch the burn barrel for most of the time--you can't leave a burn barrel smoldering, even when it's rained every day for the past week . . .

It was boxes and boxes of letters, documents, and advertising spam; and it's like burning books, hence needs to be "stirred" frequently to burn everything to ashes . . .

The steel barrel was painted with black enamel paint, and as the fire got hotter the paint started to blister, which was fine with me . . .

This led to the first awesome event, which occurred when the paint burst into flames, encompassing the entire steel barrel for about a minute . . .

We were sufficiently far away when this happened, and some of it was captured on video . . .

At this point, in the mind of my 12 year-old grand nephew, "Uncle Surf" was beyond cool . . .

Noticing there was a nearly empty aerosol spray paint can on a backporch table, I decided another teaching lesson was in order and explained to my grand nephew that it's not a good idea to toss spray paint cans into a fire, but since "Uncle Surf" is an idiot, why not see what happens . . .

I explained all the bad and dangerous things which were likely to happen, and my grand nephew got about 75 feet away, as I did immediately after tossing the spray paint can into the burn barrel . . .

We waited a few minutes, and around the time my grand nephew was saying "this is boring", the spray paint can exploded with a loud bang and a big burst of flames, embers, and general mayhem . . .

This also was captured on video, which is mind-bogglingly fantastic . . .

Much fun was had by all, and I think some important lessons were learned regarding the importance of being careful with fire and not doing patently dangerous and stupid things . . . :+1

Lots of FUN! :)
Last edited by Surf.Whammy on Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:03 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by ahutnick on Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:52 am
Thank you very much! I really appreciate it!
by acequantum on Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:46 pm
I just found this post...

I recently was re-transcribing in Notion some old piano music that I wrote and on playback noticed that the pedaling wasn't quite right. I tried the default piano sound and then a few VSTis and still the pedaling was weird.

I poked around and looked at the MIDI output and found there is no CC 64 being sent by Notion. Further investigation, the notes' durations get extended by the Ped marking and then cut off abruptly when the * or raise pedal cymbol is encountered.

This was driving me crazy and then I found posts on the forums that indicated what I had found out - the damper pedaling doesn't work right in Notion.

I made a work around of sorts for playback by adding a rule. Not perfect because Notion is still increasing the duration of notes and cutting them off when the pedal indicator is there, but sending the CC 64 maintains the sustain effect properly. It sounds much better in the external VSTis now.

Of course this doesn't work with the built in piano; and it is still making me crazy that Notion won't record and apply the sustain pedal correctly. It shows up as a CC on the sequencer staff, but does nothing for playback.

Code: Select all
<rule-set version="1">
   <rules>
      <dynamic-map id="VELO">
         <dynamic dynamic="pppp" value="0"/>
         <dynamic dynamic="ppp" value="30"/>
         <dynamic dynamic="pp" value="40"/>
         <dynamic dynamic="p" value="60"/>
         <dynamic dynamic="mp" value="80"/>
         <dynamic dynamic="mf" value="90"/>
         <dynamic dynamic="f" value="100"/>
         <dynamic dynamic="ff" value="110"/>
         <dynamic dynamic="fff" value="120"/>
         <dynamic dynamic="ffff" value="127"/>
      </dynamic-map>
      <dynamic-map id="HAIR">
         <dynamic dynamic="pppp" value="0"/>
         <dynamic dynamic="ppp" value="30"/>
         <dynamic dynamic="pp" value="40"/>
         <dynamic dynamic="p" value="60"/>
         <dynamic dynamic="mp" value="80"/>
         <dynamic dynamic="mf" value="90"/>
         <dynamic dynamic="f" value="100"/>
         <dynamic dynamic="ff" value="110"/>
         <dynamic dynamic="fff" value="120"/>
         <dynamic dynamic="ffff" value="127"/>
      </dynamic-map>
      <setup>
         <velocity-map id="VELO"/>
         <hairpin-map id="HAIR"/>
         <hairpin-cc value="11"/>
      </setup>
      <rule remark="Edit Remark..." enabled="true">
         <if condition="with-sustain-pedal"/>
         <cc controller="64" value="127" type="note-on-prefix"/>
      </rule>
      <rule remark="Edit Remark..." enabled="true">
         <if not-condition="with-sustain-pedal"/>
         <cc controller="64" value="0" type="note-off-suffix"/>
      </rule>
   </rules>
</rule-set>
by acequantum on Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:36 pm
And here is some additional information:

If you record everything on a sequencer staff and set that staff to External MIDI out, you can drive an external VST that will playback the recorded pedaling. Once you convert the sequencer staff to notation, the pedaling will be gone.

So if you want recording and playback with pedaling: Sequencer Staff - External MIDI out - External VSTi.

This goes for other CCs as well. Notion notation does not do well with CCs in general.
by rheitzler on Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:55 am
If you use Notion 6 or later (in the case someone reads this years in the future) there is a notation found on the 6th palette section (the zigzag line up with the "tr" / Arpeggio up & Trill). On this palette, you'll find a "Ped." and "snow flake" looking symbols. "Ped." is pedal down. The "snow flake" is pedal up. That is your sustain. It's a bit different than the sideways bar bracket I'm used to in piano notation, but it works all the same.
by acequantum on Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:34 am
Hi,

Thank you. But I don't believe the issue isn't the availability of the pedal marking itself. The point is, it doesn't function correctly in MIDI which causes other problems. This pedal marking in Notion actually increases the note length by maintaining a Note On state and only sending a Note Off when the "snowflake" or another Ped is reached. This does not send a CC 64 which is the standard code for MIDI sustain.

Inversely, if trying to record piano directly into notion and using the sustain pedal on your digital keyboard, CC 64 is ignored and doesn't create the sustain effect.

So technically will the Ped marking sustain a note? yes. Does it do it in a standard way that translates into MIDI? No. Because Notion doesn't send a note off event when the pedal marking is engaged, if there is a response on the synth or keyboard that is related to the velocity on a Note Off - for example a rhodes e-piano might have an after touch type up-key sound - it will be ignored when the Ped marking is engaged the way Notion is currently designed.

12 posts
Page 1 of 1