Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'd love to see the ruleset GUI to include the option to choose between velocity and a CC# (maybe even multiple CC#'s) to determine the overall dynamics level.

In a lot of libraries, velocity has nothing to do with dynamics but might be used for determining the duration of the legato sample when transitioning from one note to the next.

CC#1 and CC# 11 are sometimes used together to determine the overall dynamic: CC#1 might be how hard the bow is being dragged across the string or how "brassy" a French Horn might be while CC# 11 could be volume.
by michaelmyers1 on Fri May 22, 2020 4:21 pm
Agreed. I have also requested the ability to assign the dynamics mapping to multiple parameters, not just one.

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Sonoma 14.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6/Notion Mobile + Studio One 6 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by richhickey on Sat May 23, 2020 1:44 pm
[email protected] wroteI'd love to see the ruleset GUI to include the option to choose between velocity and a CC# (maybe even multiple CC#'s) to determine the overall dynamics level.

In a lot of libraries, velocity has nothing to do with dynamics but might be used for determining the duration of the legato sample when transitioning from one note to the next.

CC#1 and CC# 11 are sometimes used together to determine the overall dynamic: CC#1 might be how hard the bow is being dragged across the string or how "brassy" a French Horn might be while CC# 11 could be volume.

I don't think the situation is that bad. If your library doesn't use velocity for dynamics you can set all of the entries in the velocity map to the same value, e.g. 100. Then for any particular rule, like with a library where you control legato via velocity, use the "Velocity Change" +/- action to get a specific velocity unrelated to the dynamic (and/or edit the note velocity in the score). And you can always trigger additional CCs with rules based on the Dynamic >=/<= conditions (albeit not continuously) to get e.g. more bow pressure for ff+.
by [email protected] on Mon May 25, 2020 4:58 pm
Being brand new to Notion and the ruleset GUI, it's taking some time to figure out the logic. I ended up creating a custom ruleset for each dynamic that sends both CC1 and CC11 and then basically went to XML file and set the dynamic-id to "NULL". That seemed to work pretty well except for hairpins. I still have to figure out if it's possible to send more than one CC on that technique.But it works well enough, I suppose.

Anyway, I think I'm getting it to do what I need it to do for the most part.
by michaelmyers1 on Tue May 26, 2020 10:30 pm
There's a user here (Nando) who introduced me to the use of a third party intermediate MIDI processor called Bidule. It's pretty interesting, runs either standalone or as a plug-in. He was using it to process a lot of MIDI out of Notion to do some pretty cool stuff!

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Sonoma 14.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6/Notion Mobile + Studio One 6 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com

5 posts