Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
10 posts
Page 1 of 1
I've produced a new six-part series on Notion Studio One Integration. Check it out!

phpBB [video]

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Ventura 13.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by Bbd on Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:41 pm
Looking good!
Thanks for Part 1!

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by BobF on Thu May 07, 2020 8:09 am
Very nicely done - something I think I could follow for a change ;)

Thanks for doing this.

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
RC w/Galaxy S7+ / KKS61MK2 / Atom SQ
by alanbutterworth on Tue May 12, 2020 6:13 am
Hey Michael,
Many thanks for a great set of tutorials.
I did a similar thing a while ago when trying to tie in my Presonus Studiolive Series 3 desk. I've been out of the studio for a good while, but managed to return during this lockdown period. I had a good play with what Dorico was up to, and managed to realise the other way round, a track that I did in Studio One4 first. For this 'Ave Maria', I manged to score Dorico pretty well to play back the library of sounds I had used, although I didn't get to recreate the choir section as my PC was already struggling and having Fluffy's 'Dominus' choir loaded in would I'm sure have created playback problems.

I then started trying to do things in Dorico and have them playback my libraries, but this soon become clear that either Dorico's code needs to be vastly improved to handle the controller and switching info needed to create realism. Also, Dorico's 'PLAY' interface that handles this, is difficult to size and navigate through to make it easy, but I'm sure give it another few years, it may get there.

The thing with Dorico is, that it is a great program if you work with real musicians and have to provide real scores. As this is something I can only dream of, I don't need this, so I'm looking to investigate Notion and Studio One again after seeing your videos. I never looked into Notion Custom Rules before, but that seems to be the way to go if I want to use Notion with Studio One (rather than key switches as notes)?

I use a Nektar P6 as my keyboard and now with the Studio One 4 template has been really useful, along with the Native Instrument Symphony Series, which I have written a template to access the different articulations. It is working great....I just wish the actual keyboard was more responsive. I find it too heavy and 'clumsy'.

Here's the 'Ave Maria' I mentioned above.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkaLgtFagak

Also to any composers, if you haven't heard,. Spitfire Audio is holding a competition to win their complete library in conjunction with HBO's 'Westworld'. If you Google 'Spitfire, Westworld competition' you should find details. It closes I think the 3rd June. Here's my entry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwd2L94WuLA

Al

Window 10, Be Quiet PC Intel Core i9-10900X CPU @ 3.70GHz 64Gb RAM, 4 x SSD, Native Instruments ULTIMATE KOMPLETE 11 plus Symphonic Series Library, AKAI MPK88, Studio One 5.2 (pro), Cubase 10 PRO, Dorico 3, Notion 6, Presonus ioSTATION24c
by michaelmyers1 on Wed May 13, 2020 10:44 pm
Really beautiful composition Alan. You look so happy in the videos!

Let me know how the effort goes integrating S1 and Notion. Happy to help if I can!

macOS Ventura 13.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by alanbutterworth on Wed May 20, 2020 3:45 pm
Thanks Mike,
1987 seems a long time ago. We were happy then (not to say we're not now) but the sad thing about watching our wedding video now, is the number of people no longer with us. What I'm really pleased with, is the chance to flesh out a piece that was only ever heard on an ageing church organ, and in an impossible key for our friend who was singing it.

I got a chance to play with the 'rules' tab and although I'm still doing tests have an elementary understanding of them. I keep vacillating between Notion and Dorico. Dorico released 3.5 today, but apart from a tweak to expression maps, didn't really have anything else there that I would use. I don't need a super-duper engraving tool but would love a super-duper playback score-writing package that could also record real audio and auto transcribe this as notation.

One thing I couldn't work out was getting hairpins (cresc / decresc) to work, but I haven't looked at it in over a week as I was delving more into playing techniques and expression maps within Dorico.

Window 10, Be Quiet PC Intel Core i9-10900X CPU @ 3.70GHz 64Gb RAM, 4 x SSD, Native Instruments ULTIMATE KOMPLETE 11 plus Symphonic Series Library, AKAI MPK88, Studio One 5.2 (pro), Cubase 10 PRO, Dorico 3, Notion 6, Presonus ioSTATION24c
by bruceirving on Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:45 pm
This is a great tutorial series! I learned so much.

Thanks,
Bruce Irving

-------
-CybertronPC desktop; 16GB; 2 Samsung 1TB SSD's; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050; Behringer UMC404HD USB A/I.
-Windows 10 Home; S1 5.0; Notion 6; Kontakt 6
-Too many sample libraries
by michaelmyers1 on Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:57 pm
Glad to hear that, Bruce!

macOS Ventura 13.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by leedickholtz on Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:11 pm
So helpful! Exceptionally well done. Thanks!
by robinwillis on Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:59 am
Diving in! Thanks!

10 posts
Page 1 of 1