Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
7 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi, I am new to Notion 6, I am trying to get VSL Solo Strings 1 to use Notion 6 articulations, Pre Sonus "help" thought I should ask here if anyone has made a rule set for using VSL and would be kind enough to share them with me, I have very little experience with programming type stuff and want to use Notion and VSL to write and play along with string quartets. I am using Windows 10. Thank you, Scott
by michaelmyers1 on Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:38 pm
I don't have Solo Strings I, but I do have Special Edition and Dimension Strings.

You could try using the Notion Special Edition presets and substituting the Solo Strings I patches into the corresponding slots in the Vienna Instruments player (in other words, Solo sustain for SE sustain, Solo pizz for SE pizz, etc). It's tedious, but not too bad for only four instruments. That's how I set up my Dimension Strings matrices to work with Notion.

Or, alternatively, you could take the Notion VSL rules and modify them so that they work correctly for the Solo Strings. Thats a lot more work, but you could delete a lot of them as they aren't for string techs and arts.

I've attached the Notion SE Preset rules if you couldn't find them elsewhere.

VSL Special Edition.prules
(26.22 KiB) Downloaded 22 times

You might also ask over at the VSL Community Forum to see if anyone has a ruleset if you haven't already.

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
macOS Catalina 10.15 with small AOC monitor for additional display
2 - 500 gb + 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 4 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by Beagleman2010 on Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:02 pm
Hey MichaelMyers, I am lost trying to use the Notion setting etc. Could you please help get me started with this? Thanks
by michaelmyers1 on Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:16 pm
Sorry, I've been using all of this stuff so long that I take for granted how confusing it can all be.

I'd try the first option. You won't need the ruleset.

1. Open Notion and start a new score.
2. Select VSL Special Edition or VSL Special Edition Pro from the presets list (depending on what version you own) (if you have it I recommend Pro because it has humanization functions)
3. Select a solo violin or other solo instrument and create a new staff by clicking on it.
4. Exit Score Setup.
5. Select a staff and open the Instrument Dialog box. This will bring up the VI player (or VI Pro player).
6. Select Advanced View in the top right. This will open the area where the patches are shown loaded into the slots for each preset. Use the Save button at the bottom right to save a new preset, so you don't overwrite the Special Edition presets you already have.

Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 8.08.16 PM.png

7. In the browser on the right, select the Patch tab. Open the list for the Solo Strings library.
8. Drag the corresponding patches for the Solo Strings library to the slots in the player that have patches in them to overwrite the patch assignment. You should use a corresponding patch, i.e. the name should be the same or close as the one already in the player. By doing this you are substituting the Solo String library patches for the Special Edition patches.
9. Keep doing this until you've substituted all the patches for all the articulations for all the instruments.
10. Save the preset by using the save button in the bottom right corner.

Hope this helps.

Michael

JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by Beagleman2010 on Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:29 pm
Thanks you very much, I will try it soon and let you know, Thanks again!
by Beagleman2010 on Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:50 pm
Hey Michael, it worked pretty well, I just need to work with Notion more and figure out what some of the articulations really are. Thanks again!
P.S.. I'll take any other advice you or anybody else has to offer.
by michaelmyers1 on Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:54 pm
Great, glad to have helped!

Someone told me about the same method when I was setting up my Dimension Strings, about 6 years ago. She got me going.

JBL LSR310S subwoofer

7 posts
Page 1 of 1