Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
10 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello and Happy New year to alll of you.
Even If I bought Notion 6 about 2 years ago, I'm a real newbie on this software. I just recently started using it after buying Studio One Pro.
I have one question. I use the 8Dio Adagio Strings library with Kontakt.
In this library, there are different patches for Long and Short articulation types. In each patch, there are also several articulations. So, in kontakt, each patch is assigned to a dedicated midi channel.
Do the presets in Notion 6 allow to change the midi channel to reach the desired articulation ?

Ex : I want to go from Legato (channel 1 in Kontakt, keyswitch C0) to Feathered Staccato (channel 2, Keyswitch D#0)

Best regards

EDIT : :rtfm2: Apparently, this can be donne dirrectly by using the "Change instrument" Option on a Basic track.... I'm gonna test once I'll have created my Adagio presets.

Cyril
PC i7 12700K, 64Gb DDR4, SSD 500GB, SSD NVMe 1To, 2 X SSD 1To, 2TB Barracuda, Windows 11 Pro 64 bits
by michaelmyers1 on Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:39 pm
Is the interface the same as Anthology Strings? If so, you might see if you can use the custom ruleset I made for them.

Anthology Complete.prules
(7 KiB) Downloaded 141 times

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Sonoma 14.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6/Notion Mobile + Studio One 6 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by cyrilcalmes on Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:30 am
Thank you michaelmyers1.
I have the Adagio 1.5 and the Adagio 2.0, and also Anthology. So It will help for sure.
To be honnest, I prefer the sound of the original Adagio 1.5 (which also contains much more articulations) but the common interface of Adagio 2.0 and Anthology is way better to use.

Cyril
PC i7 12700K, 64Gb DDR4, SSD 500GB, SSD NVMe 1To, 2 X SSD 1To, 2TB Barracuda, Windows 11 Pro 64 bits
by cyrilcalmes on Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:26 pm
Hello michaelmyers1,

can you give more explanations about the way you use your Anthology rules in Notion 6 ?
I'm a bit lost.
Cyril

Cyril
by michaelmyers1 on Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:55 pm
cyrilcalmes wroteHello michaelmyers1,

can you give more explanations about the way you use your Anthology rules in Notion 6 ?
I'm a bit lost.
Cyril

Hey Cyril, are you lost on how to use rules? It's pretty easy, you apply the rule to each staff with anthology strings as an instrument. The User Guide covers it on p. 9.13.

Check that out, if you have other questions let me know. Happy to help!

macOS Sonoma 14.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by cyrilcalmes on Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:13 pm
Hello !
Well, I think I can manage with the rules, but using YOUR rules with Anthology supposes that I have loaded the same articulations in the same order within the Anthology Kontakt interface. No ?
Maybe you save them in a special patch ?

Best Regards.

Cyril
by michaelmyers1 on Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:50 pm
cyrilcalmes wroteHello !
Well, I think I can manage with the rules, but using YOUR rules with Anthology supposes that I have loaded the same articulations in the same order within the Anthology Kontakt interface. No ?
Maybe you save them in a special patch ?

Best Regards.

Rules don't have any relationship to the order of instruments in Kontakt. Sorry I might be confused...

macOS Sonoma 14.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by cyrilcalmes on Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:38 am
ha... I'm not sure.
Let' say : in kontakt, I load the Anthology Violin Ensemble. In Anthology, I can then add up to 10 different articulations within this patch.
Anthology Patch.png

Each articulation having its own keyswitch and since you have set keyswitches in your rules, then, If I want to use your rules, I must have the same articulation on the same place.
Am I wrong ?
But your file is really helpfull to see how these rules must be set.
Thanks...

Cyril
by michaelmyers1 on Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:54 pm
cyrilcalmes wroteha... I'm not sure.
Let' say : in kontakt, I load the Anthology Violin Ensemble. In Anthology, I can then add up to 10 different articulations within this patch.
Anthology Patch.png

Each articulation having its own keyswitch and since you have set keyswitches in your rules, then, If I want to use your rules, I must have the same articulation on the same place.
Am I wrong ?
But your file is really helpfull to see how these rules must be set.
Thanks...

Ah, thanks now I understand what you're asking!

It would be difficult to know if the instruments are in the same slots as mine since there are only ten slots and they can be filled with any articulation. It will also depend on which articulations you need for your music (you might need col legno and I never use that).

The way to set them up:

1) Load the articulation slots that you need for your music with the appropriate articulations.

2) Set the control key in your player instance to the same setting as in the rules. In other words, if the rule calls for Sustains on C3. then change the control key in your Kontakt player (the little button next to the articulation name, if you click it there will be a pop-up and you will be able to select a specific keynote) for Sustains to C3.

I know it's confusing at first, but once you figure it out and get everything firing correctly it's really magical!

(one note of caution, and this drives me nuts with a lot of libraries: many libraries react to keyswitches an octave higher or lower than Notion plays. This can be really annoying as you try to figure out which keys are triggering which articulations! It has to do with what octave is assigned to middle c. I can't recall how the 8dio libraries work.)

By the way, these are some of the reasons I prefer using Spitfire's Universal Articulation Change Controls (UACC) for controlling articulations. I know that's not very helpful for you with the 8dio library, but it's really a brilliant innovation that they made available to all library developers to implement. I've talked to at least one developer that is going to implement it at my suggestion...
Last edited by michaelmyers1 on Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

macOS Sonoma 14.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by michaelmyers1 on Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:04 pm
Here's the Violins I I use with my ruleset. Of course, you may need different articulations for your music. So you can use 1) technique above to set the controller for each articulation to match my ruleset.

Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 9.01.55 PM.png

macOS Sonoma 14.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer