Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there was a way to get decent guitar tab out of a midi keyboard. When I enter real time notation through my usb midi keyboard, the notation is perfect, but not the guitar tabs. Notion doesn't display the proper fingering. For instance, here is Dm9 (D F A C E). The fretboard is equally showing a non standard fingering for this chord which requires a lot of stretching !
If there's some mapping to settle this, please let me know...

Attachments
Capture d’écran 2019-12-29 à 15.47.31.png
Capture d’écran 2019-12-29 à 15.47.21.png
by jamalbee on Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:04 am
This is what Dm9 should look like. I get this with the mouse, not the midi controller, unfortunately

Attachments
Capture d’écran 2019-12-29 à 15.48.22.png
Capture d’écran 2019-12-29 à 15.48.11.png
by jamalbee on Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:23 am
Apparently, the problem is the same with Progression, the (promising) guitar notation dedicated software by Presonus whose development has been unfortunately abandoned now... (viewtopic.php?f=172&t=24955).

Searching for a solution in other software, it seems it is also difficult to get correct guitar tabs when recording in real time using a midi keyboard. In Logic Pro (I guess it should be also true for Studio One), a possible solution is to set the string midi channel to "inverted midi channel', for instance. It is way too time consuming... but it seems the only possible way. So the solution is editing the score :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np7wTkogFPk

Basically, when a chord is played using a midi keyboard, Notion tries to notate it according to its pitch. It is normal for a piano, but not for a guitar (or a bass), the strings of which should be assigned specific midi channels. I don't know if it is possible to do this with Notion, as it is not a sequencer. Surely Studio One can do it, but I don't own it so I'll stick to Logic.

One thing I haven't experimented yet is the use of a midi guitar. I will try sometime in January as I will get one and see if I get normal tabs out of it. Here is an exemple here with Sibelius :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahBy-7JQk4s

The Jammy guitar (a guitar midi controller) does exactly what I'm trying to do with my usb keyboard. In this video an exemple of how to get correct tabs out of it in conjunction with Guitar Pro is shown. I wish the guy in the video had shown it with Notion as Notion allows real time midi recording whereas Guitar Pro doesn't. But I guess the process is quite the same :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnJV_2o ... tu.be&t=66
by jamalbee on Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:19 am
Well, as I wrote, I got the Jammy midi guitar controller ( https://playjammy.com).

FIrst of all, this controller does require a lot of adjusting before it can be used to record midi in Notion. It is very different from a usb midi keyboard which is, as it were, ready to be used out of the box. The jammy midi controller is definitely not ready to be used out of the box...So far, the results have not been out of this world, I avow, but I can get real guitar tablatures out of it ! Once in your hand, one should download the jammy app which helps adjust the controller's parameters, such as the strings' sensitivity to the pressure of your fingers or your picking style.

Furthermore, the app allows you to allocate a specific midi channel to each string. And that is where the app comes really handy. That procedure is the secret to get proper guitar tabs with Notion. The first string (high E) is assigned midi channel 1 ; the second string (the B string) is assigned midi channel 2, and so forth till you reach the sixth string (low E). With such a setting, when you play a chord, it is properly displayed in Notion (both notation and tablature).

I didn't find how to do it with a midi keyboard, nor do I know if it's even possible. How can we assigned a specific keyboard key to a specific midi channel in Notion and let it interpret it as being a guitar string ? I found a possible way to re-write incorrect tabs, but it didn't prove very efficient : go to the Tool menu after selecting the tabs you wish to correct and choose Reset tab numbers. It is supposed to rearrange the guitar tabs in such a way a guitarist would read them or play them. Yet, this function works best when you copy and transpose a tab for exemple, but doesn't produce the expected results after you have recorded a chord from a midi keyboard.

4 posts
Page 1 of 1