Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Not sure what happened but I don't seem to be able to open any scores in desktop Notion on a Mac, this behaviour started from one day to the next.
I get the notification - The document "XXX" could not be opened -
Similarly if I try to save a document
I get notified - The file "Notion" couldn't be opened - (Notion is the folder I save my projects to.)
I have re-installed the software but it has made no difference.
Anybody any Ideas about this.
Thanks in advance.
by Surf.Whammy on Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:06 am
mchelcaoinleain1 wroteNot sure what happened but I don't seem to be able to open any scores in desktop Notion on a Mac, this behaviour started from one day to the next.
I get notified - The file "Notion" couldn't be opened - (Notion is the folder I save my projects to.)
Thanks in advance.

These are a few suggestions and thoughts . . . :)

SUGGESTIONS AND THOUGHTS

If you are running the Demo version of NOTION, then you can't save scores and you might be able to open existing scores, so this is a possibility . . .

I'm not getting a "warm and fuzzy" about naming a folder "Notion" . . .

One of the first things that comes to mind when I read a scenario like the one you described is to ask about Account privileges--especially on Windows machines but also on the Mac . . .

Most people doing digital music production on the Mac use an Account with Admin privileges, which basically maps to being able to do everything . . .

An administrator on the Mac can create accounts for different types or classes of users, but this mostly is done in business and education scenarios . . .

If the Mac account you are using does not have full privileges, then this can cause problems which make no immediate sense . . .

I am presuming you have activated the license for NOTION--observing that you do not want to keep activating over and over, because you get five (5) activations and if they are used, then you have to contact PreSonus NOTION customer support to get the count reset, which they usually will do if you are having computer problems . . .

I also am presuming you are running the current version of NOTION . . .

If you are running macOS Catalina, then it might affect something, although perhaps not . . .

I tested Studio One Professional and NOTION (current versions) on 2012 and 2019 MacBook Pro machines, and they work nicely with the PreSonus software; and I did backups as described (see below) for macOS Mojave before upgrading to macOS Catalina . . .

At the time, SuperDuper! was in beta-testing for macOS Catalina and the new file system; but it was fine with macOS Mojave and what likely was the old file system . . .

EXPERIMENT #1

(1) Create a new folder on the Desktop and call it "N6-Scores", with the hyphen or dash, which is done to avoid blanks or spaces, which can make doing UNIX stuff more complex or causes problems with some of the UNIX utilities like "zip"--this being the case because a blank or space is a special character in UNIX. C, and C++, which at one time or another everyone including me tends to forget . . .

[NOTE: About 20 years ago when I was doing Windows software engineering, I thought it would be a bright idea to put a Visual C++ debugger "watch" on the memory location before the start of an array, which being a rocket scientist was [-1]. Every time the debugger got to that watch point, the computer crashed; and it took me a day or two to realize it was a completely and totally stupid thing to do; but I was doing contracting, so charged for the time. I was writing a SQL Language parser, which is one of my specialties (designing and programming parsers and syntax analyzers); and it's difficult work, so I charge for all the time--even the time when I zone-out and do stupid stuff . . . :punk: ]

(2) Start NOTION and create a new score to which you can add a few measures of Piano notation . . .

(3) Save the new score to the folder you created in the first step (1) . . .

(4) Exit NOTION and then start NOTION . . .

(5) Try to open the score you saved in step (3) . . .

Expected Result: You will be able to open the score you saved to he "N6-Scores" folder . . .

Unexpected Result: If you cannot open the score, then something is not right . . .

OTHER POSSIBILITIES

If it's an older Mac, I suppose it's possible that the internal hard drive is beginning to have problems and is unable to read and write successfully to some sectors or locations, in which case the file save or file open operations are not being successful . . .

That happens, but it's a bit unusual . . .

If the internal hard drive on you Mac is having problems, there are things you can and should do to save you valuable data, which begins by doing a backup, which you can do with SuperDuper! (Shirt Pocket). It now provides full support for macOS Catalina, as well as previous macOS versions going back to macOS El Capitan, which is what I am running . . .

SuperDuper! (Shirt Pocket)

If your internal hard drive is malfunctioning, then DiskWarrior might be able to recover enough of the data to provide a solution . . .

[NOTE: There are some restrictions on support for the new file system (Apple File System [APFS]) but everything is good for Mac OS Extended (HFS) . . . ]

DiskWarrior (Alsoft)

DiskWarrior 5.2 & Apple File System (APFS) Info (Alsoft)

I recommend LaCie external hard drives for doing backups--any of the d2 series--because they are guaranteed to be bootable for the Mac. This is the link to the LaCie website for information on the current models, but the older models (new) are good. Amazon and other online stores sell them, but plan on them costing about $225 (US) if they are the new models. There might be some older models, but they need to be new rather than used. The lowest I have seen a d2 over the past few years is around $175. And there is nothing special about the Thunderbolt 3 other than one of the newer cables. In fact, in my recent testing with a 2012 and 2019 pair of MacBook Pro computers, the Thunderbolt 3 model was faster when using a USB 3 cable than the new Thunderbolt cable, which I recall is USB-C or something like that . . .

"The simplest explanation is that USB-C refers to the shape of the port and Thunderbolt 3 refers to the connectivity standard. Thunderbolt 3 combines Thunderbolt, USB, DisplayPort and power via a single USB-C connector."

[SOURCE: Difference Between Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C: EveryMac.com ]

phpBB [video]

d2 Series External Hard Drives (LaCie)

Beyond all this stuff, it's difficult to guess what the problem might be . . .

So, do the experiment and post a follow-up message to this topic . . .

You might consider posting screen captures of the actual error messages, which you can crop with Preview so it's just the error message rather than the entire Deskcop--use "command+shift+4" to do a selected screen capture of just the error message(s), where the "+" character means "press and hold". So press and hold the "command", "shift", and "4" keys, and you will see the mouse cursor change to a crosshair, at which time you can drag-and-release the mouse cursor to capture a selected part of the screen. If you already know this, then I included it for folks who might not know it . . .

Nothing else comes to mind at present . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

P. S. Yet another possibility--which is a bit "out there" in La-La Land--is that you might have discovered a gnarly bug in NOTION that only occurs when doing something involving a folder named "Notion", which would be such a strange software bug that it rivals trying to read protected system memory by putting a debugger "watch" on the [-1] index of an array--noting that in C and C++, the first item in an array has index [0], which is fine, but you can't look at [-1], since it's protected system memory and the usual response is for the computer to crash . . .

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by mchelcaoinleain1 on Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:25 am
Thanks for the reply SW.
I am running the latest version of the software - 6.5.470, it is not a demo and is registered. My OS is 10.15.01 (Catalina).
One of the first things I did was check the permissions; they were in order and to be on the safe side I gave Notion full disc access.
The hard disc is not an problem here as this behaviour occurs both on the Mac and in iCloud. (I also run Notion on a new iPad which is why there is also an iCloud folder attached. It’s handy to jot stuff down on the iPod whilst sitting in the train and work it further when I get back to the house.)
I already ran a few tests along the lines you suggested in exp.#1 and still got the same result. Can’t save new files and can’t open existing files.
As I said this just happened suddenly. On Tuesday there was no problem but on Thursday when I tried to open a file I had been working with on the iPad on Wednesday I started getting these error messages. At first I thought it might have had something to do with using diacriticals in the title, but that was not the case either.
I’m not sure how posting screen captures will help but here they are

“Test” is the folder I created on the Mac and in iCloud to …test the folder name theory, although I didn’t really think then that was the cause of the problem.

“Fakenham Fair” is a score I made a few months ago in the desktop version and has never been near the iPad version.
by Surf.Whammy on Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:50 pm
Based on the experiment result and everything else, I think the best strategy is to call PreSonus NOTION customer support . . . :+1

If it is something to do with macOS Catalina, then I can't be much help . . .

Maybe it has something to do with the new file system (Apple File System)?

When it's solved, post a follow-up message . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by michaelmyers1 on Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:09 pm
mchelcaoinleain1 wroteNot sure what happened but I don't seem to be able to open any scores in desktop Notion on a Mac, this behaviour started from one day to the next.
Thanks in advance.

I'd suggest opening a support ticket. The Notion Support Team is very helpful!

It would also help to post your macOS version, processor, age of machine, etc...

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Sonoma 14.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6/Notion Mobile + Studio One 6 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by mchelcaoinleain1 on Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:40 am
I discovered that the same behaviour as Notion was being exhibited by Preview so I finally took the drastic step of restoring my disc from a Time Machine back-up and all is back to normal.
Now I can't be a hundred percent sure but I think it may have been something to do with the drivers for a Wacom tablet which I installed around the time. I'd forgotten about it because the tablet itself was broken. However I'm not going to re install these drivers to test my theory out, but it might be of help to others, if they have a similar problem.
Thanks for the support folks.

6 posts
Page 1 of 1