Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
2 posts
Page 1 of 1
What version of musicxml does the latest version of Notion support? I've been a Finale user since Version 1.0 (yes, that long) and am looking to move to Notion but I can't open any of my exported files. They open fine in Finale and Dorico.

The version that is being exported is 3.1 from Finale 25

Thanks
by Surf.Whammy on Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:26 am
jongriffin4 wroteWhat version of musicxml does the latest version of Notion support? I've been a Finale user since Version 1.0 (yes, that long) and am looking to move to Notion but I can't open any of my exported files. They open fine in Finale and Dorico.

The version that is being exported is 3.1 from Finale 25

Thanks

Can you post a link to a downloadable example of a Finale 25 MusicXML 3.1 file? :)

THOUGHTS

If so, then I will examine it an check the XML syntax and so forth to compare it to a MusicXML document exported from NOTION . . .

It can be as simple as a few measures of a C Major scale starting on Middle C . . .

If you are woking on what might become the musical theme for a motion picture or television show, don't use that---just a few bars of something trivial for piano . . .

For reference, I exported a piano part as MusicXML from NOTION (current version), and this is the first part of the MusicXML file, which I am calling the "header" to keep everything simple . . .

[NOTE: Among other things--including being Melvin Piffle [not his real name] Director of the Pretend FBI--I am a computer scientist and aficionado of K-Pop and J-POP, which means that I have developer software tools that let me look at computer stuff. The management companies for K-Pop artists spend over one million dollars training each artist in such things as singing, dancing, diction, foreign languages, and so forth, and then they find songs and start recording. Same for J-Pop and related genres. The songs usually are very similar to popular American songs, and this is one of my strategies, although more to do parodies like the parody of "Bad Romance" (Lady Gaga) that I was compelled to compose, perform, and record after watching the video and being totally offended in more ways than I can count, hence a spanking was not optional . . . :P ]

[NOTE: These are best enjoyed when listening with studio-quality headphones like SONY MDR-7506 headphones (a personal favorite). The T-ARA composers, arrangers, producers, and audio engineers are outstanding in every respect, which is why I study these songs . . . :+1 ]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

It looks to me like NOTION is using MusicXML 3.0 rather than 3.1 . . .

This is the information on MusicXML 3.1 . . .

MusicXML 3.1 (MakeMusic)

"Version 3.1 is the first version released by the W3C Music Notation Community Group. Previous MusicXML versions were released by the Recordare and MakeMusic companies."

MusicXML 3.1 (W3C.org)

Lots of FUN! :)

P. S. You might try opening a MusicXML file in Dorico and then exporting it as MusicXML from Dorico, followed by opening that MusicXML file in NOTION. It's an easy experiment, and if it solves the problem, then great. Just an idea . . .

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!

2 posts
Page 1 of 1