Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Here's a video I made using Notion and Studio One synch'd with 8DIO Anthology Strings. The library is currently on sale and represents a very nice string library for the cost (about $150). I like the smooth sugary sound of the strings, and they aren't overblown "cinematic" style. I like the detail of the library.

phpBB [video]

Score transcribed into Notion, a custom RuleSet was applied to control the articulations, nTempo track recorded for tempo control, and the notes exported into S1. There I added automation envelopes to control modulation (dynamics) and expression of the instruments, and carefully adjusted the tempo map for phrasing as well as the instrument settings for sound character. I used Vienna MIRPro to place the instruments in a realistic venue (Berlin's Grosser Sendeshall) and recorded the whole thing in Studio One. I used Ozone 8 to add a maximiser to master the piece in the DAW.

Questions and comment always welcome, and thanks for listening!

Mike

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Sonoma 14.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6/Notion Mobile + Studio One 6 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by fransaartsen on Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:27 am
What do you mean by "a custom RuleSet was applied to control the articulations (...)"?

I'm very curious, as articulation control is one of the few shortcomings in S1!
by michaelmyers1 on Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:54 pm
I made a Notion ruleset which controls articulations and switches instrument parameters and settings automatically when it encounters them in the score. In this case, it's a fairly simple set of rules to control Anthology Strings using keyswitches.

When the Export to Studio One command is used, the keyswitches are also exported, so when the corresponding instruments are assigned to their correct tracks in S1, then everything is automated in Studio One as well. If I adjust things in the Notion score (technique or articulation or settings for keyswitches, for example), I just re-export to Studio One and everything is updated.

Tempo is also exported to Studio One, so any rits or accels and any nTempo changes are also exported, along with time signature changes. This is very useful.

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Sonoma 14.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6/Notion Mobile + Studio One 6 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by Marcato on Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:39 am
Michael

I took good note of your explanations. And as I had been toying with the idea of acquiring 8Dio Anthology, you just convinced me!

Merci beaucoup

4 posts
Page 1 of 1