Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
22 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Updates have been dwindling. I wonder what's Presonus' roadmap. Concentrate on Studio One, integrate Notion in S1, leave Notion behind altogether?

Notion 4.0

Aug 25, 2016

Sep 13, 2016

Dec 13, 2016

Feb 21, 2017

May 22, 2017

Dec 12, 2017

May 17, 2018

Jan 15, 2019
by composerman1 on Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:46 pm
I've been concerned as well. Notion was a great affordable tool allowing me to create orchestral scores in notation with nice results. That being said, there were always annoying things that made some tasks cumbersome.

As I was looking around, I found that you can purchase a special price crossgrade version of Sibelius Ultimate perpetual license for $199 by proving that you own Notion. I also discovered a really nice sound set for Sibelius called Noteperformer 3. It is only $129 and you can rent to own for $10.75 per month and once you reach $129 you don't have to pay anymore. I'll be making the switch soon. It took a little bit of work to understand the interface, but once you figure it out (don't over think it) it is rather intuitive.

You can preview some demos done in Sibelius with Noteperformer 3 here: https://www.noteperformer.com

Sibelius Crossgrade Offer: https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductDeta ... lcl=en_US&

Just scroll down to the demos section. I put them to the test, as I was skeptical that they could sound that good without major fudging around with things. I was really surprised. While nothing is perfect and there are pros and cons with any playback of orchestral libraries in notation software, this is remarkable.

Again, I'm not knocking Notion. It is a great piece of software and it allows you to enter the notation software world for less than $200 rather than the $600 plus price to purchase a perpetual version of Sibelius Ultimate outright. However, at this point, I need more features than Notion can easily support at this time.

Best regards,

Troy
by michaelmyers1 on Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:24 pm
If I'm not mistaken, NotePerformer is limited to use of the library of sounds that they provide? I have many thousands of dollars worth of VST libraries and if I'm not able to make music with them then it's a non-starter...

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
macOS Catalina 10.15 with small AOC monitor for additional display
2 - 500 gb + 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 4 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by composerman1 on Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:38 pm
To my knowledge, note performer is an add on library for Sibelius. You can still assign vst instruments to a staff in your project. I’ll certainly keep Notion around as another tool. Just my thoughts.
by shanecoombs on Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:13 pm
Noteperformer is indeed it's own soundset, meaning that if you're happy with how it sounds then great, but you can't get it to do it's "magic" to EastWest or Garritan or whatever other libraries you have. Personally, I think noteperformer sounds good as far as it's humanistic interpretation of the music goes, but it's tone and sound quality isn't close to the libraries I own so I wouldn't use it.

Depending on what more features a person is looking for, they might be quite pleased by pairing Notion with the apparently now free Transmidifier and whatever DAW they want to use (I have tended to use Tracktion because they give away previous versions for free, but you can use whatever). You probably also need virtual MIDI cables to make it all work together. I'd definitely prefer a single application that does it all (e.g., if Notion were to get an update that is improved from the current version and had some of these features added in), but once I have it working I've found there's really nothing I can't find a way to do. Transmidifier is really incredible in some of what it lets you do. Here's a demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etp8VP_KVBM
by sunlove on Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:21 pm
The reason why I stick with Notion is the sophistication of the playback using rules and even attributing keyswitches to string numbers in the tablature.
The features of my Ample Sound and Orange guitar instruments are wonderfully used. As a guitarist, some playback results are so realistic that I can't tell the difference.
Sibelius does not support this. Neither Dorico 3, but soon it seems. It will support MIDI guitar in the upcoming updates. The devs even directly answered my question in the forum.
I'd rather stick with Notion because I love the workflow of the software, but comparing the development rate of Dorico and Sibelius in terms of updates, I'm wondering if Notion is becoming abandonware.
The main reason of its last update was integration with Studio One. This main feature (export to S1) only saves 2 clicks (export MIDI or audio) and file drag to host.
by matthewguertner on Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:17 pm
When I heard they were discontinuing Notion for iOS it concerned me, yet I still took advantage of their black Friday sale and finally bought Notion. I hope this wasn't a bad long term purchase.
by michaelmyers1 on Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:42 pm
matthewguertner wroteWhen I heard they were discontinuing Notion for iOS it concerned me,

This is not true.

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
macOS Catalina 10.15 with small AOC monitor for additional display
2 - 500 gb + 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 4 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by thomasbaxter on Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:43 am
I thought Notion for IOS had become the line's biggest seller.
by composerman1 on Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:21 pm
I hope I didn't offend anyone. I still see plenty of value in Notion and I will continue to keep it in my toolbox. My thought was that to add another quality tool in Sibelius Ultimate 2019 (Perpetual) for $199 with proof of Notion ownership is a great deal. I was also able to add NotePerformer 3 for $129. I chose the rent to own option at $10.75 per month for 12 months.

I hope Presonus doesn't abandon Notion. It really is an incredible piece of software!

Just my humble thoughts and opinions.
by sunlove on Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:36 pm
thomasbaxter wroteI thought Notion for IOS had become the line's biggest seller.

Maybe, but it's been set aside since V2.0.183 on June 7, 2017. That's about 2½ years ago.
by sunlove on Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:54 pm
composerman1 wroteI hope I didn't offend anyone. I still see plenty of value in Notion and I will continue to keep it in my toolbox. My thought was that to add another quality tool in Sibelius Ultimate 2019 (Perpetual) for $199 with proof of Notion ownership is a great deal. I was also able to add NotePerformer 3 for $129. I chose the rent to own option at $10.75 per month for 12 months.

I hope Presonus doesn't abandon Notion. It really is an incredible piece of software!

Just my humble thoughts and opinions.

I agree. It's incredible and I love it too. But it needs love from the devs too! Notion being swallowed up by Presonus may have reoriented the priorities.
With the advent or Dorico in its third version, Notion needs to keep up with features users have been asking for a long time. In such situtation, it's only normal that we look elsewhere like you and I did.
With an update that addresses features like the top requests:

- The ability to draw MIDI curves (a DAW-style automation track) instead of just recording it with a MIDI controller.
- Adjust velocities and durations of multiple notes
- DAW Style Piano Roll Editor...
- VST3 instruments
- When are you going to add ornamentations (mordents, turns, etc)?

I'd go back to Notion in a heartbeat. But I haven't totally left Notion either.
by shanecoombs on Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:49 pm
My top request would be that after 5 or 6 or however many years, going all the way back to Notion 3 at least, they finally fix it so that CC data is sent on the correct channel after a rule changes the channel. In one of the Notion 6 patches they said they fixed it, but it still only works for, if I recall correctly, techniques but not articulations. Or maybe it's the other way around; I can't remember. Either way, it doesn't work right and it's the single biggest thing hampering this software because it makes it entirely unusable with many libraries without going through a lot of hoops (namely, the ones I described above using Transmidifier).
by rodderco on Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:43 pm
Yes it seems like Presonus is putting all the effort into Studio 1.
I have Dorico and have kept it up to date (v3) but I hate the note entry methodology - for goodness sake just let me place notes and highlight my errors like Notion does. Sorry - small rant.
The sound engine in Notion has been pretty good (though probably not as good as Cubase in my opinion).
You look at the Notion feature requests and the big ticket items have been on request for 3-4 years - seemingly ignored.
As a notator and player, Notion has been the best around for simpliciity and usability. Without any development to it, going forward, it'll fade into oblivion as others have. BTW Cubase has just made some inprovements to the score function. It's still crap, but at least they are on the way to doing something. Come on Presonus, throw some money at Notion, take if from good to great. From a very long term user and promoter of it.
Last edited by rodderco on Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
by Surf.Whammy on Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:10 am
Surf.Whammy offers two cents to the discussion . . . :)

THOUGHTS

(1) Surf.Whammy has verified that Studio One Professional and NOTION (current versions) do ReWire accurately and wonderfully in macOS Catalina on 2012 and 2019 MacBook Pro machines, the latter of which cost over $4,500 (US) and is a state-of-the-art machine . . .

(2) Even though Surf.Whammy mostly knows what a MIDI "CC" is and what it does, Surf.Whammy does not use them, as is the case with rules, articulations, dynamics, playing styles, and all the other stuff that skilled transcribers, arrangers, and producers of Orchestral and Symphonic music use and hold dear--in other words the folks who have no idea who Freddie King is or how fabulous he was . . .

phpBB [video]

(3) Surf.Whammy likes piano foot pedals--especially the sostenuto pedal--and would like to have them supported, mostly because any pedal that does something automagically and requires no additional effort to play notes is in the list of "Greatest Pedals and Effects in the Known Universe" . . .

SUMMARY

NOTION does everything Surf.Whammy needs to do, and it works wonderfully with Surf.Whammy's "go to" Digital Audio Workstation--Studio One Professional, which is fabulous . . . .

Fabulous! :+1

Providing full support for MIDI CC will end a lot of not-entirely-pointless whining, which always is a good thing . . .

Providing full support for all the piano foot pedals will be fantastic and not-entirely-pointless, even though perhaps other than Surf.Whammy, nobody else is whining about it, but so what . . .

If fully supporting MIDI CC requires too much overhead for regular staves, then perhaps do it only for ReWire MIDI staves and ensure it works when VSTi virtual instruments are hosted in Studio One Professional, since this certainly has great potential to be interesting--provided it doesn't affect the overall performance and peppiness of Studio One Professional and NOTION, of course . . .

Lots of FUN! :)
Last edited by Surf.Whammy on Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by ChrisS23 on Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:25 am
Hi all,
I appreciate it's hard to guess what's going on by extrapolating previous release dates, and it's not like us to lay out our roadmap.

But what I can say just now is that Notion for iOS and for desktop both remain under active development with a dedicated team at PreSonus Software. Minor maintenance releases for both current desktop and iOS releases are scheduled, as are major 'number' upgrades for both.

If anyone would like to join our Notion beta team on desktop and/or iOS, please shoot me a message!

-Chris

Product Manager - Notion
PreSonus Audio Electronics, Inc.
http://www.presonus.com/products/notation-software
by tharos on Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:57 am
ChrisS23 wroteIf anyone would like to join our Notion beta team on desktop and/or iOS, please shoot me a message!
-Chris

Hello Chris,
Could it be possible to join your Notion beta team. How do we proceed ?

Thanks.
by ChrisS23 on Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:16 pm
tharos wrote
ChrisS23 wroteIf anyone would like to join our Notion beta team on desktop and/or iOS, please shoot me a message!
-Chris

Hello Chris,
Could it be possible to join your Notion beta team. How do we proceed ?

Thanks.

Absolutely, please fill in the beta application here, and I'll get back to you: https://forms.gle/n2YfG5ofLRGUTvt78

-Chris

Product Manager - Notion
PreSonus Audio Electronics, Inc.
http://www.presonus.com/products/notation-software
by sunlove on Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:42 pm
ChrisS23 wroteHi all,
I appreciate it's hard to guess what's going on by extrapolating previous release dates, and it's not like us to lay out our roadmap.

But what I can say just now is that Notion for iOS and for desktop both remain under active development with a dedicated team at PreSonus Software. Minor maintenance releases for both current desktop and iOS releases are scheduled, as are major 'number' upgrades for both.

If anyone would like to join our Notion beta team on desktop and/or iOS, please shoot me a message!

-Chris

Thank you Chris for taking the time to answer my concerns. This is great news for both desktop and iOS versions of the software!
by matthieudulong on Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:57 am
Oh great wonderful news !!!
I immediately joined the beta team with enthusiasm !
It's the best music software (for both Notation and DAW-like capabilities) that I know.
Thank you to all of the Notion Team ! :)

(And don't hestitate to watch my Youtube channel where I show the results that can be achieved with Notion : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrZExL ... 4y3_cBOS1g)

Matthieu Dulong

22 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2