Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi, I'm using Notion 6 primarily for music notation. My question is: is it possible to tie notes from a 1st to a second ending?
In my example below I can't figure out how to tie the chord from the second measure to the fourth measure (second ending).

Thank you!
by michaelmyers1 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:47 pm
+++++

I don't think it's currently possible, although I believe there might be a feature request. If not, I'd suggest starting one at the feature request link.

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Ventura 13.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by Surf.Whammy on Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:54 pm
I listened to this for a while and this is the way I solved the problem, which included adding more notes after the second repeat, as well as a Mozart-style big ending . . . :)

phpBB [video]

THOUGHTS

The tie beginning with the eighth notes at the end of the first measure does not prevent the whole notes at the start of the first ending from being played separately, which then suggested the solution . . .

[NOTE: The notes on the treble staff might be tied, but what essentially breaks or separates the tie from the last eight note are the notes on the bass staff; so even though there probably is a tie on the treble staff, for all practical listening purposes the sustained notes on the treble staff begin separately. This is a "by ear" phenomenon, and the solution is to make the notes in the second repeat sound the same as the notes at the beginning of the first ending . . . ]

Since I do not use repeats, I added more notes after the second repeat to verify that everything is continuous; and the rule on adding notes here in the sound isolation studio is that sooner or later I become Pretend Mozart and cannot resist the temptation to add what I call a "big ending" . . . :P

Lots of FUN! :)

P. S. This is the correct version that has the two measure sustained notes for the ending of the second repeat, which is fabulous . . .

phpBB [video]

Fabulous! :)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by michaelmyers1 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:38 pm
Surf.Whammy wroteP. S. This is the correct version that has the two measure sustained notes for the ending of the second repeat, which is fabulous . . .

That's a clever workaround, Surf, but not quite what the OP was looking for notationally, I think...

By the way, I believe like you, I'm mostly interested in using Notion for performance, not for notation. My typical approach to this problem is to "unfold" scores with repeats so that there are no repeats used. Band-In-A-Box used to call it just that - "unfold the song" - which is where I picked up the terminology. I've made a formal feature request to the Notion development team to implement a similar functionality where this "unfolding" command is in Notion and automated.

This has three advantages in my work:

1. It eliminates problems like the tied notes at repeats

2. It allows for humanization of repeated sections. No players perform a section of music exactly the same way the second or third time through! So I can adjust note lengths, velocity, etc. for each repeated section separately.

3. It allows for correct export to Studio One Pro, which currently doesn't recognize repeats or alternate endings

This all points to a practice that I know other Notion users subscribe to: having two scores, one for notation and one for performance. Might be overkill for some, but for others it's probably a necessity.

All good!

macOS Ventura 13.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by michaelmyers1 on Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:00 pm
Following up on this, here's a workaround:

Enter Text box in Notion. Copy this character ⌢ or ⌣ and paste into the text box*. Close text box. You can then resize and drag text box exactly where you want. It will look good, but this won't playback.

*This character can be also found online or from:
Mac: Edit, then Emoji's/Symbols. In the search box, enter either SMILE (U+2323) or FROWN (U+2324) depending on which way round you want it, or how you're feeling at the time

macOS Ventura 13.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

5 posts