Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
I've been experimenting with Notion 6, Studio One 4 and my Studiolive Series 3 console. I can honestly say this has been the most integrated package I've ever worked with. The sounds here are all standard Notion 6 sounds that were exported automatically into Studio One 4, and the mix tweaked with the use of the Studiolive Series 3 console using DAW mode. The mix, therefore is coming from Studio One 4's mix buss engine rather than through the Studiolive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L43uoFnTvDs&t=185s

This video is merely showing the results of the exercise rather than a 'how to'. I do hope to produce some more videos showing exactly how these programs and hardware link together.
Al

Window 10, Be Quiet PC Intel Core i9-10900X CPU @ 3.70GHz 64Gb RAM, 4 x SSD, Native Instruments ULTIMATE KOMPLETE 11 plus Symphonic Series Library, AKAI MPK88, Studio One 5.2 (pro), Cubase 10 PRO, Dorico 3, Notion 6, Presonus ioSTATION24c
by michaelmyers1 on Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:57 pm
Wow, Alan, that's really cool! Thanks for posting!

I'm full of curiosity. When you say that the sounds are from Notion 6, do you mean that you exported the audio to Studio One? I didn't think that the native Notion instruments could be used in S1.

The mixer board on your console seems to mimic the settings in Notion. How was that done?

At first glance, this is the most complete hardware/software/notation integration I've ever encountered!

Please keep us in the loop regarding your ongoing work.

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Sonoma 14.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6/Notion Mobile + Studio One 6 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by alanbutterworth on Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:21 am
Hi Michael,
There appears to be two ways that you can send data from Notion 6 to Studio One 4(S14). One is by sending the midi data (probably allowing you to send notated music to an existing sound library template you may have setup on a project within S14). The other is to export each track as rendered audio using the Notion sounds themselves. The beauty of the second approach is that it does it very quickly and seems to do it in one accelerated pass. It automatically creates stereo audio tracks of each instrument listed in the score irrespective of whether the part contains music or not.

The Studiolive console in DAW mode, is really like a big physical controller for the mixer page within S14. It copies what is seen in the mixer page of S14 and allows you to select 'inserts' and 'sends' and control those EFX via its rotary encoders. It has dedicated automation functions (READ / TOUCH / LATCH / WRITE) and with its motorised touch-sensitive faders gives you control of an instrument's volume over and above the sample's own sound (think crescendo or sforzando). This is of course merely acting as a remote for what is possible already within S14 as a program, but as my life has been spent behind mixers I find it much less taxing on the hands (carpel tunnel syndrome). The less I use a mouse, the better.

Additionally, the faders can either represent a mono source or a stereo source (just like the virtual faders in S14). From a hardware point of view though, this is where it really shines, as most sound libraries contain 'stereo sources' for their instruments, but the Studiolive console only needs the one fader (acting as a stereo fader) to operate them. Compared with other digital mixers I've used in the past, this gives you double the amount of faders to start with (I have the 32 channel version). Moreover, it gets better. As the console is merely duplicating the mixer page in S14, whatever channels you create in the timeline /mixer (be they busses , auxes etc), the console copies these on its hardware surface. Using the PREV / NEXT buttons you can bank over to as many channels as your computer can handle.

Another neat thing for composers like myself who want notation alongside synths, real guitars, real instruments and voices, is that the S14 project can handle all that side of things while Notion can handle the orchestral side of things. After watching your set of 'Robin' films the other day, this seems to be the most complete system at the moment.

When I get more time I'll document the process in more detail. I've only just started using the programs OBS to 'screen capture' stuff and Lightworks to edit it, although I have used Premiere and Liquid in the past.

Window 10, Be Quiet PC Intel Core i9-10900X CPU @ 3.70GHz 64Gb RAM, 4 x SSD, Native Instruments ULTIMATE KOMPLETE 11 plus Symphonic Series Library, AKAI MPK88, Studio One 5.2 (pro), Cubase 10 PRO, Dorico 3, Notion 6, Presonus ioSTATION24c

3 posts
Page 1 of 1