Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello,

I have noticed that in Notion 6 my midi recordings are not playing back correctly after the notes are changed around. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is this a bug, or is just something that my set up is doing?

This is very frustrating, by the way.
by AppleFire on Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:44 am
I should add that when exporting MusicXML, the notes do play correctly in another DAW.
by shanecoombs on Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:30 pm
I'm not sure that I understand the problem. Can you explain in more detail?

Specifically, in what way is it not playing correctly, and what do you mean by saying that the notes are changed around?
by AppleFire on Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:45 am
For example, on a blank score, I record playing a flute part for about 6 bars with a midi keyboard. After stopping the recording, I playback from the beginning and it plays back just fine. I think it quantizes too. Then, I record again continuing the melody for another 4 bars. Stop. Playback and I notice that I did not play something correctly. So, I delete some notes, add some notes, move some notes, add ties, etc. Then, I play from the beginning and it does not play what is written. It tries to play what was recorded, but it stutters in the area that I made changes too with the mouse.

This is a problem. Probably a bug, I am guessing.

In layman's terms, the recorded midi is in conflict with the written midi. This should not be.
by shanecoombs on Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:55 am
I can experiment later, but for now I would say that my first instinct would be to double check and make certain you know whether it is or is not quantizing your input.
by Surf.Whammy on Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:54 am
AppleFire wroteFor example, on a blank score, I record playing a flute part for about 6 bars with a midi keyboard. After stopping the recording, I playback from the beginning and it plays back just fine. I think it quantizes too. Then, I record again continuing the melody for another 4 bars. Stop. Playback and I notice that I did not play something correctly. So, I delete some notes, add some notes, move some notes, add ties, etc. Then, I play from the beginning and it does not play what is written. It tries to play what was recorded, but it stutters in the area that I made changes too with the mouse.

AppleFire wroteI should add that when exporting MusicXML, the notes do play correctly in another DAW.

I am not reading that you saved the NOTION score . . . :?:

THOUGHTS

This might be caused by creating a new score but not saving it as you work on it . . .

QUESTION: If you save the NOTION score; close it; and then open the NOTION score you just saved, does it play correctly?

Since the MusicXML works correctly in other DAW applications, it might be a matter of not having saved the NOTION score until sometime later . . .

Even though everything on computers tends to be better now than 20+ years ago, I still recommend the "Save Your Work Frequently" rule, as well as the "Backup Your Work To Many Storage Devices" rule . . .

[NOTE: This applies to Mac and Windows computers. I do everything on the Mac, and several months ago my primary hard drive started having problems, so I got a new hard drive. I had saved most of my recent work, but there were some important files that I had not saved; so it took a while to recover everything. I used DiskWarrior (Alsoft, Inc.) to rebuild the flaky hard drive, and was able to get the files I forgot to archive; but it took about two weeks, since the hard drive would work for a few hours and then stop working, at which point I might have restored a few files but not all of them. Fortunately, DiskWarrior was able to fix all the otherwise trashed files. Mostly, these were user-defined "preset" files for the various third-party AU/VST effects plug-ins I use; so it was important to have the user-defined "presets". Now I make archive copies of my user-defined "preset" files, observing that it's very unusual for a hard drive to fail on the Mac, but it happens. It was a Seagate Barracuda hard drive that at most was two years-old, so I was not expecting any problems. In retrospect, I should have known better, but DiskWarrior rescued everything, so even though it took a few weeks, everything is fine. For reference, it took a few weeks, because I also did full backups of the replacement hard drive using "SuperDuper!" (Shirt Pocket), with each full backup taking about 5 hours, since there is over 2TB of data and it's a 2.8-GHz (8-core) Mac Pro (Early 2008), which works nicely but for disk archiving is not so peppy. If I start using Time Machine and have it backup to a hard drive attached to an Airport Extreme Base Station, this won't happen; so that's part of my new strategy, whenever I decide to do it instead of just thinking about doing it . . . :roll: ]

The problem could be caused by something else, but the first thing I noticed is that there is no mention of saving the NOTION score . . .

Saving a new NOTION score is important for another reason, which is that you need to do this before you can do a NOTION-to-Studio One transfer, or perhaps Studio One-to-NOTIION transfer . . .

Another strategy, since MusicXML is working correctly, is to export the MusicXML and to import the just exported MusicXML to a new NOTION score, followed by saving the newly created NOTION score . . .

Overall, this appears to be a matter of NOTION not updating its temporary file(s); and one way to cause the temporary file(s) to be updated is to do a "Save" or "Save As . . . " . . .

Regarding quantizing, this should occur only when you tell it to occur . . .

There is a "Quantize to Notation" menu item on the "Tools" menu, as well as a "Convert to Notation" menu item . . .

The "Quantize to Notation" menu item becomes available when you have converted MIDI to notation and have selected some or all of the measures of notation . . .

Let us know if any of this provides a solution . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!

6 posts
Page 1 of 1