Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
8 posts
Page 1 of 1
I am trying to use whole notes as the equivalent time filling a measure in non 4/4 time signatures. (5/4, 9/8, even 3/4, etc. would be 5 quarter notes, 9 eighth notes, etc.)

Although I have looked, I cannot seem to find any documentation stating there is a way to do this, nor documentation saying it is not supported.

Is such a thing possible?
by Surf.Whammy on Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:04 am
It doesn't appear to be possible, since the durations of notes and rests are fixed . . . :roll:

THOUGHTS

The best way to determine the answers to questions like these is to do some experiments . . .

In this experiment, the key bit of information is the way the whole rest turns red in the 7/8 measure . . .

Additionally, the quarter notes in the first two measures do not turn red . . .

This indicates that the values for the notes and rests are fixed and do not self-adjust to the time signature . . .

I think this is more of a "music theory" matter, so it probably is not explained in the NOTION user guide, hence the strategy of doing experiments . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

P. S. My perspective on "music theory" is that it's practitioners continue to be grappling with the work of Sir Isaac Newton and have not wandered even for a tiny moment into Albert Einstein's work . . .
Last edited by Surf.Whammy on Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by johnnewberry on Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:10 am
z

,Newberry

:arrow:
by JohnBW on Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:12 pm
A 5/4 time signature indicates that there are 5 beats per measure, and the quarter note gets the beat.

A whole note represents 4 beats, so the 5/4 measure is not completely filled with just a single whole note.

Studio One Pro v5.5.2, Win10 Pro
by johnnewberry on Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:52 pm
Not only is this covered in the Notion User Guide on Page 10.32.
  In modern music notation you'll find that the whole rest (in this case with Notion shortcut key -z-) serves for any completely silent measure. Regardless of the meter.
full bar rests.JPG

Thank you.

,Newberry

by dennisbrumm on Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:48 pm
Thanks to you folks. I was aware that a whole rest filled the measure regardless of time signature. The whole note notation (I've seen used on occasion, maybe not frequently) was not really an issue of theory for me, more of aesthetics. I'll stick with the ties and be a little less compulsive.
by johnnewberry on Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:17 pm
Oops! I am very sorry. I idiotically misread the question.
Again my apologies. I need to read closer and make sure I'm understanding what is being asked before making the wrong statements.
Yes ties seems to be the only way I find in odd meter.
wm.JPG

Sorry about that.

,Newberry

Last edited by johnnewberry on Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
by dennisbrumm on Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:43 pm
No problem. If we compose music, we are all probably odd meters. :D

8 posts
Page 1 of 1