Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
I had never heard of Notion until I came across a comparison of iOS scoring apps on the Web. Notion came out very favourably, and I decided to took the plunge.

After the usual "getting-used-to-the-new-interface" phase, I started to write some music. I was very impressed with its ease of use and the quality of the results, particularly given the limited RAM on an iPhone and iPad. I also purchased the sound expansion packs.

Later I decided to purchase the desktop version and I've been very impressed with the whole package ever since.

To summarise, the factors that made me use - and continue to use - Notion are:

- excellent ease of use (input, selection, edit, shortcuts)

- real time input (particularly impressive compared to other scoring apps)

- quality of the sounds

- range of notation facilities

- being able to sync between all my devices, including my PC

- great export / import, especially MusicXML and part extraction

- access to external plugins, both instruments and effects

- very reasonable cost

Some improvements I would like to see:

- some form of controller lanes to draw edit CC data to create more realistic mock-ups which to me is a must

- some niggly things like the "metronome during record" setting not being remembered, so I have to remember to switch it on every single time I open / re-open a project

- the ability to have own shortcuts, especially for things like the Tools menu that cannot be accessed via the regular Windows shortcuts

- the Select special command being expanded to other markings (I love the MuseScore "select similar" facility

- a way to toggle existing notes from dotted to non-dotted and vice versa

- better documentation / interface for custom rules

- and finally, as an end user I would appreciate the occasional feedback from the development team such as.... we are working on the next release, or plan to introduce x, y , x :D

By the way I currently used the latest versions of Sibelius Ultimate, Dorico Pro, MuseScore, and Cubase Pro. I also tried Overture which impressed me with its MIDI / scoring integration. I feel Notion is great for composition and basic scoring, and if it added DAW-like CC and note editing it would prove an even more irresistable package :P

Rudi
by michaelmyers1 on Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:01 pm
I think a lot of the Notion community is there with you on the CC editing and some form of piano roll manipulation, Rudi. It's the #1 highest voted feature request! We're all hoping to see that in a future release, and I agree, it would set Notion well apart from the competition.

If you're interested there's a place to either make new feature requests or to vote up those that you'd like to see implemented for Notion, both in the IOS form and the desktop:

https://answers.presonus.com/questions/notion-feature-requests/notion-feature-requests?sort=votes

Hope to see your suggestions there.

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Sonoma 14.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6/Notion Mobile + Studio One 6 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by Rudi_UK on Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:40 pm
Thank you for the feedback Michael, it is much appreciated!
I actually did add my vote for the CC editing facility a little while ago :+1
Being relatively new to Notion, I wasn't sure how regular or frequent the update cycle is.
There is so much of promise in Notion... it would great if that potential was fully realised!

3 posts
Page 1 of 1