Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
8 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have the finger style acoustic guitar extension. Any idea how to create the open string harmonics? It says it has the samples to do that. I cant seem to find any marking to trigger them.
by michaelmyers1 on Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:10 pm
Can't say with certainty as I don't have the library, but typically harmonics are triggered by the circle symbol. You'll find it in the palette, looks like a little o.

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Ventura 13.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by granttregellas on Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:57 am
Yeah, I used that. Doesn't do anything. I must be doing something wrong....
by michaelmyers1 on Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:36 am
Odd. My next suggestion would be to open a support ticket.

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Ventura 13.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by johnnewberry on Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:07 pm
It's in the Notion User Guide.
harmo1.JPG

harmo1.notion
(49.54 KiB) Downloaded 341 times

,Newberry

:arrow:
by granttregellas on Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:55 pm
Great thanks. Found it. Didn't think of looking under the tab section for this.
by melroyroddie on Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:18 pm
That's fine for the usual natural harmonics (5th 7th, 12th frets) but there seems to be no support for artificial harmonics. On guitar you can play harmonics on every note, although some are easier than others (and some pretty difficult). Usually some form of pinch harmonic etc etc.

The point being that any writing (or transcribing) for guitar (especially electric).needs to be able to accomodate this. Modern music is full of it.

Notion doesn't allow this. I wish I am wrong. I wish it would.
I wish it could add slides to grace notes too!

Cheers
by acequantum on Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:42 pm
Hi,

Notion does support Artificial as well as Natural Harmonics. It's a bit unintuitive for the Artificial ones. Also depends on how you want to notate it. In the screenshot example, I notated pinch harmonics for notes played on the 3rd and 4th frets and "pinched" the harmonic an octave higher on the 15th and 16th frets. I notated both Artificial and Pinch Harmonics just to show some flexibility. I don't think there really is a difference, besides how one describes this type of harmonic; but I notated both. The difference in terms of strict notation with pinch being that I added the harmonic pitch below the tab.

notion pinch harmonics.JPG

The AH and PH are just text boxes. The harmonics were added as notes with the diamond head. Place the round head notes on the treble staff first to indicate the fretted note on the tab. Then add the diamond head notes for the harmonic pitches above them. A bracketed box with a <?> will appear on the tab. Drag that down to the approriate string for the pitch you entered on the treble staff.

Weird harmonics, notated or not, are probably not going to sound on playback in Notion because there probably aren't samples for all of the possibilities. But, you can still notate them.

8 posts
Page 1 of 1