Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi

I am after some advice + thoughts here, any help much appreciated.

I am foremost a guitar player who is away from home (without guitar) quite a bit but I would still like to compose using Amplesound guitars + my laptop.

I'm a long standing Studio One user since V2 so get a nice deal on Notion..

I like the integration of Notion + SO, but am worried there is loads of functionality in there that I will just never use (scoring for example). Guitar Pro is obviously aimed at guitar players and doesn't do the orchestral bit and looks like it may be a better choice maybe?

Anyone got experience of both? I am after a program that I can enter just guitar details via TAB and then import them into SO when I get home. Both can do it though, as I see it so I can't make a bad choice.

Any thoughts?

TIA

lb
Last edited by briandeeley on Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
by themaartian on Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:03 am
I assume you mean the recently released Guitar Pro 7.5.

GP7 has been a pleasure to work with. For what you're doing, I think Notion is overkill.

The only caveat on Guitar Pro is that their Android app is ANCIENT (something like GP4). Don't know about their iOS app.

Intel i9, 32 GB RAM, 7 TB SSD Win 11 Pro PreSonus Studio 1810c
Studio One 6 Pro MuseScoreMelodyne 5 Studio Acoustica Pro 7 Guitar Pro 8
Gig Performer 4 NI S61 MK3 Focal Shape 65 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro, DT 770 Pro
by briandeeley on Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:03 pm
That's great info. Thanks.

(Title of thread amended)
by acequantum on Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:14 am
I know this is a super old thread, but I'm in the position where I have both notion 6 and guitar pro 7.5

If anyone else is in the situation where the are wondering whether to buy one over the other, it comes down to what you need to do.

For me Notion 6 transcribes live playing really well. I could use my MIDI keyboard or a guitar to MIDI plugin and record notation directly into Notion 6 as I am playing. It handles this quite well. Of course anything crazy is going to take some editing and reworking.

Guitar Pro 7.5 on the other hand does not transcribe live playing very well. It only does step type recording and you have to change the duration of each note as you enter it.

Guitar Pro is designed for creating tab, though you can of course create standard sheet music for multiple instruments. Even an orchestra if you like.

Notion 6 is designed for notation, and it has the option for tab. The tab portion is good enough, but not quite as in depth as Guitar pro 7.5 in that department. However, Sheet Music wise with the various and editable dynamics and playing styles - and the performance playback, Notion 6 steps a little ahead.

Notion 6 is more flexible when it comes to using VSTs and instrument libraries. The ability to use them is built in and it has some default sounds that are pretty good. Guitar Pro 7.5 has some OK built in sounds and effects, but just generally passable. They do have modeled rigs and sounds of "classic" and modern guitar setups that sound similar to what they are trying to emulate. You can of course route out to VSTs through MIDI but you'll need some physical or virtual ports and a means of playing the VSTi like a DAW or sample library player.

Guitar Pro 7.5 is a good program for manually creating guitar tab. Though I find it slightly inflexible in the user interface and editing; it does have a great chord creation and selection interface. Plus you can plug your guitar directly into it and run it through the AMP sims and effects that are built in.

I find Notion to be a much easier program to use and the live recording and transcription of MIDI sort of seals the deal for me.

If you can get both, get both. They each have their place. If you're on the fence about which to buy in terms of a good all around notation and tab program, Notion 6 beats Guitar pro 7.5 in terms of options, live recording, performance playback, sounds and VST usability, ease of use and flexibility.

If cost is a concern and you can only get 1 quality notation software and you need a great tab writer, Guitar Pro 7.5 is probably for you as I think it's about half the cost of Notion 6. One other thing, If you intend on using Ample Sound's guitars, Guitar Pro files are read directly by those VSTis as a tab upload.
by themaartian on Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:00 am
acequantum wrote...

For me Notion 6 transcribes live playing really well. I could use my MIDI keyboard or a guitar to MIDI plugin and record notation directly into Notion 6 as I am playing. It handles this quite well. Of course anything crazy is going to take some editing and reworking.

Useful info. Thanks for resurrecting the thread. I'll have to try playing through my copies of Jam Origin's MIDI Guitar 2 and MIDI Bass (standalone and VST) into Notion. [Still waiting patiently for MG3 and MB2.]

https://www.jamorigin.com/

phpBB [video]

Intel i9, 32 GB RAM, 7 TB SSD Win 11 Pro PreSonus Studio 1810c
Studio One 6 Pro MuseScoreMelodyne 5 Studio Acoustica Pro 7 Guitar Pro 8
Gig Performer 4 NI S61 MK3 Focal Shape 65 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro, DT 770 Pro
by acequantum on Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:31 pm
Hi,

with MIDI Guitar 2, you have to really play clean for the MIDI notes to record properly. I've noticed that sometimes when I lift my finger from a fret, it often creates an off note that gets translated into MIDI. The tracking is just a little "too" good. If you turn the input gain almost to zero and the noise gate up, it helps with the accuracy. Performance wise, MIDI guitar 2 shines - a lt of weird stuff gets recorded with the MIDi though - stuff you don't necessarily hear in performance. It could be I'm just a terrible player! :D

6 posts
Page 1 of 1