Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have a score in Notion 6.4 that includes a staff to which the built-in Notion "tom drum" instrument is attached.

When I select just that part (i.e., all the content of this particular staff in my score) and then "Send Audio To Studio One" - merging into my working Song) - Studio One creates a new track with the audio, however the audio is truncated.

Even though subsequent measures were selected in Notion (indeed, the entire Part was selected, as per the user manual), Studio One apparently does not receive all the audio data it should.

macOS Big Sur 11.6
Presonus StudioLive 32 Series III
PreSonus Studio One Professional 5
PreSonus Notion 6
by Surf.Whammy on Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:15 am
A few questions . . .

(1) Is the tempo the same in the NOTION 6 score and the Studio One ".song"?

(2) Are there the same number of measures in the NOTION 6 score and the Studio One ".song"?

[NOTE: The Studio One ".song" probably will have more measures by default than the NOTION 6 score--even if you added more measures to the NOTION 6 score--so what I am asking is a matter of determining whether the NOTION 6 score has at least as many measures as the part of the Studio One ".song" where there is recorded audio or playable MIDI . . . ]

(3) Are there empty measures after the last playable note on the staff in the NOTION 6 score?

(4) Are you using repeats in the NOTION 6 score?

(5) Do the NOTION 6 score and the Studio One ".song" start at the same location (measure and beat)?

(6) Are you certain that you actually selected all the measures you wanted to be exported?

THOUGHTS

This works, so there's probably a simple reason for the problem occurring . . .

Tempo and number of measures are the two things that come to mind, along with having a lot of empty measures either (a) before the actual notes or (b) after the actual notes . . .

If you are using repeats in the NOTION 6 score, then this probably will not work . . .

I do not use repeats--so at the moment I don't remember what they are called--but it's the music notation version of what in primitive software engineering languages is called a "GOTO" . . .

Just a few thoughts . . . :)

P. S. A "workaround" is to export the audio for the part from NOTION 6 as a WAVE audio file, which you can import to your Studio One ".song". It will be in the Browser in Studio One, and you can drag and drop it onto an Audio Track . . .

This also is a way to determine what might be happening with the NOTION-to-Studio-One technique . . .

Yet another way to do this is to do it in a ReWire session where Studio One Professional is the ReWire host controller and NOTION 6 is the ReWire slave . . .

In the ReWire session strategy, you will set the Output for the selected instrument in NOTION 6 to a ReWire channel pair. Don't use Channels 1-2 . . .

Instead, set it to Channel 3-4 or some other channel pair . . .

Then in the Studio One Professional ".song", do the required connections and infrastructure work, which will be first to add a NOTION object; then create an Instrument Track to connect to the ReWire channel pair; create an Audio Track for recording; and there you are . . .

As the song is played, NOTION 6 will send the audio to Studio One Professional, and you can record it on an Audio Track in the Studio One Professional ".song" . . .

You also can make edits to the NOTION 6 part and work interactively in both applications (NOTION 6 and Studio One Professional), which is nice . . .

[NOTE: You need Studio One Professional to do ReWire sessions, but there is an add-on module (costs extra but includes support for AU, VST2, and VST3) for Studio One Artist. It's smarter to get Studio One Professional, since you get more useful stuff . . . ]

These are two additional ways to do it, so there are options, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by chgraham on Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:02 pm
Thank-you for the detailed reply. Lots to consider and investigate, given your information.

As per your suggestion - and the manual's (!) - exporting (just) the part's audio seems to work.

macOS Big Sur 11.6
Presonus StudioLive 32 Series III
PreSonus Studio One Professional 5
PreSonus Notion 6

3 posts
Page 1 of 1