Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
12 posts
Page 1 of 1
Anyone know:

Is it possible to copy notes only and not tempo markings, text, etc?

Why do the midi instruments sound different depending on whether a midi controller was used to enter them or the on screen method, and can this be equalized?

Thanks
by johnnewberry on Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:01 pm
jamessimon wroteAnyone know:

Hi James. You can probably get what you want done using a few steps in the process.

• Select the measure with notes and tempo etc..and use Copy from the Notion menu or use the computer keyboard shortcut.
• Create a New but simple and basic temporary score. and paste the copied notes etc. into the New temp document.
• In the New document Select the notes and tempo etc. Use the Edit>Clear Special... function after selecting Tempo marks in it's dialog box.
• Then after the process has cleared and deleted the tempo marks select and copy the notes back into the original document were needed.
**( the default tempo remained in the example.. Deleting that before copying back was needed.) 
tmf.JPG

jamessimon wroteWhy do the midi instruments sound different depending on whether a midi controller was used to enter them or the on screen method, and can this be equalized?

Not exactly sure of the question. The native Notion instrument Sounds are not the same as 3rd party MIDI VSTI's. The internal Sounds don't respond to live input the same. Note velocity is pretty much all they will respond to from a live MIDI controller keyboard input. And 3rd party MIDI instruments generally need to be setup with instructions from custom rulesets to play with detail similar to live playback.

,Newberry

:arrow:
by michaelmyers1 on Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:38 pm

Why do the midi instruments sound different depending on whether a midi controller was used to enter them or the on screen method, and can this be equalized?

Thanks

You can select just the notes by highlighting a passage and using Select Special -> Select Voice 1 (or 2 or 3 or 4), then Paste.

Not sure about your second question.

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Sonoma 14.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6/Notion Mobile + Studio One 6 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by johnnewberry on Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:25 pm
That is a good way too Micheal for copying just the notes as James had asked. I thought a full staff or score edit by filtering may be better because it would keep all the other attachments. i.e. dynamics, technique etc..

,Newberry

by johnnewberry on Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:13 pm
 To select and copy notes only, another and possibly the simplest method in Notion 6 now is to...
• Select (grey highlighting) the measure(s) to copy only the notes from.
• Press the Enter/Return key to select all notes and rests in the measure selection.
• Copy and Paste where desired.

They've (Notion) made a good number of fixes and additions I like and happy to see in the recent Notion 6 updates.
Pretty nice after you get use to them. I haven't had anything I'd really call an issue using it for me.
I mean, yeah there are things that could or still need to be fixed. And features to be found. But it's Ok for me.

,Newberry

by themaartian on Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:44 pm

Thanks

Editing velocity in Notion is on a note-by-note basis. You highlight the note, turn on velocity overdub and play the velocity you want from your MIDI controller. No direct editing of the velocity value. Painful. You'll want to do your MIDI editing in a DAW. See "Velocity Overdub" (page 11.44 of the v6 manual).

Intel i9, 32 GB RAM, 7 TB SSD Win 11 Pro PreSonus Studio 1810c
Studio One 6 Pro MuseScoreMelodyne 5 Studio Acoustica Pro 7 Guitar Pro 8
Gig Performer 4 NI S61 MK3 Focal Shape 65 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro, DT 770 Pro
by johnnewberry on Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:01 pm
themaartian wroteEditing velocity in Notion is on a note-by-note basis..

Have you tried (Win) Alt-up/down and Shift-Alt-up/down?
Select the measure(s) to be edited. Then Show Sequencer Overlay.
Press the Enter/Return key twice. The notes in the selected area are highlighted.
Use the velocity shortcut Alt-Arrow up/dn for values of +/-1 or +/-10.

Also something to consider is velocity overdub may really be faster than a DAW in some situations. What you hear maybe faster than the mouse in a sequencer screen? I still like to draw in a DAW though. Yet the Sequencer Overlay at least offers access to those values of note velocity and duration.

Newberry

by jamessimon on Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:04 pm
I have not tried that. What I did try was highlighting then Edit, Clear Special, and checking Velocity. Heck I just understood was velocity was last week. I've also wondered wha the sequencer thing is I keep accidentally activating. I'll have to learn that next.
by johnnewberry on Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:54 pm
themaartian wroteNo direct editing of the velocity value. Painful.

This is may work better than one note at a time overdubbing.
Here's what the Sequencer Overlay screen looks like. Using the shortcut keys works good.
Alt-Arrow or Shift Alt-Arrow up/down. Values +/-10 and +/-1
vgs2.JPG

ss3.JPG

,Newberry

by michaelmyers1 on Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:26 pm
You can also double-click any note in the sequencer overlay and type in the velocity value. Another option is to select multiple notes, and use Tools > Randomize events and type in a very narrow range for velocity randomization.

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Sonoma 14.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6/Notion Mobile + Studio One 6 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by johnnewberry on Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:11 pm
michaelmyers1 wroteAnother option is to select multiple notes, and use Tools > Randomize events and type in a very narrow range for velocity randomization.

I like to use the randomize too. Especially now that the shortcut keys for the Overlay view velocity levels are working again. I forgot how long ago that got goofed up. Yeah the randomize velocity default setting is good I think. And then +/-10 using the Arrow-key shortcuts to get the specific dynamic level followed by the +-/1 to finish. I can get things edited pretty quick.
I haven't heard much mention of the new Paste Insert feature. In previous version's it was tedious to confidently insert and audition changes or variation in a composition. Now it's easy to take a chance and insert a different Intro part for example. Or to Paste Insert a musical movement from a different document even? A/B the results and quickly Undo if needed.
To insert space before it was necessary to use the Barline tool repeatedly like tapping a beat to a song.
So yeah for me I'll say that the list of fixes and the feature's like Paste Insert make a huge difference. And that along with all the other changes in Notion 6 and better Studio One integration are exciting to see and use.
Thanks Notion.
-
I think it's good to like and keep motivated learning where Notion can take us. Stay motivated to explore what it does. And doesn't too. Trying to gain a systematic routine of working with it is imperative I think. Trying to learn to recognize -what is and what isn't- happening as intended. How to recognize those working things in the virtual world as it is. Easier no doubt to feel more creative when feeling more connected to how it's running. Fun remembering now when I got Notion 3 after a couple days even or week, I started to wonder if the time to learn it was something I wanted to do. At times it felt as doubtful to get what wished for. But now I'm more confident working in Notion and I don't miss recording into a track sequencer piano roll. I use that still. But I like the notation driven connection of the virtual instrument control. I'm using Notion as a tool that helps me shape and capture what interests me in music. It can playback pretty much infinitely more complexity than myself. So for me it is a tool that offers an infinite challenge in the learning experience And it's fun. Not frustrating. Because it's a tool I think we need to realize we never will master or be able to understand everything it does. But frustration does happen to us all at times.
Breaking down the learning into sections is a good idea. Certainly avoid making music and learning how to use a feature in the middle of creating and vice versa. That's a hangup. Gotta prepare. Do one thing at a time. Don't mix. Soon with all the pieces on the table it becomes easier to put your arms around and pull everything together.

jamessimon wroteI have not tried that... , ...I'll have to learn that next.

Simple advice I'd like to share that I tell myself at times. Notion is a tool. Not a magic lamp.

A guy use to ask me as a joke all the time "Are you having fun yet?".
  That always made me wonder and then realize that I was. I just didn't realize it.
I like to use comparatives and analogies sometimes. To help me try to understand and rationalize
a concept or process.With Notion I've tried keeping simplicity in view by thinking...
e.g. A cook has to know where all the stuff is to get hopefully good tasting results.
That an automobile driver has to be comfortable with all the controls and map direction's in order to avoid driving off track.
And another good one. Hopefully may get a few laughs from folks.
 Composer's, conductor's and musican's and the like sometimes press their hair backwards to get their act together? But, the reality and difficulty is to not rub so hard the hair comes off.

Hope folks get my point. That is, to first keep it fun.

,Newberry

Last edited by johnnewberry on Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
by Rudi_UK on Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:32 am
Some really good stuff here! Thanks for the tips it will save me a lot of time :D

12 posts
Page 1 of 1