Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
26 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
JohnBW wrote
scunacc wrote
Correct. Not fully compatible. Couple of issues

1.) the instruments have to be loaded manually in the player - the mappings from 4->5 don't seem to trigger the loading.

Hey Derek, thanks for the info That is exactly what I was hoping to avoid, I have other VSTs that I can manually load, so I was looking for a workflow that didn't require that.

Is it safe to assume that the VSL SE meets those requirements of easy integration with Notion 6?

It's a minor issue once they are loaded for a given piece one is working on however. I.e., once loaded, they stay loaded the next time you load up Notion with that score, just that each time you start a new score you have to manually load them.

Kind regards

Derek.

Derek Jones
MacBook Pro 17" 16GB,15" 12GB,Sierra, MacBook 13",12GB HighSierra. SSD,Windows 7 64 8GB RAM, Win 10 64 Pro 64GB RAM, [email protected]
Notion 6.5.470, Studio One 3.5 & 4.X
Pro Tools 2019.5,Logic Pro X 10.4,Cubase 10,Ableton Live 9.7.6,Reaper 5,Tracktion 7
Sibelius Ultimate 2019.5,Finale 25,Overture 5,MuseScore 3
Vienna Ensemble & Instruments 7,SE Strings,EWQLSO & Play 6,Miroslav Philharmonik 1&2,Kontakt 5.8.0,Waves 10
16.0.2 FW,iConnectMID4+ on macOS (+ others aggregated),192 Mobile+DP88 on Windows
by JohnBW on Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:29 am
scunacc wrote
JohnBW wrote
scunacc wrote
Correct. Not fully compatible. Couple of issues

1.) the instruments have to be loaded manually in the player - the mappings from 4->5 don't seem to trigger the loading.

Hey Derek, thanks for the info That is exactly what I was hoping to avoid, I have other VSTs that I can manually load, so I was looking for a workflow that didn't require that.

Is it safe to assume that the VSL SE meets those requirements of easy integration with Notion 6?

It's a minor issue once they are loaded for a given piece one is working on however. I.e., once loaded, they stay loaded the next time you load up Notion with that score, just that each time you start a new score you have to manually load them.

Kind regards

Derek.

Hey Derek, thanks for that additional info. I will probably just hold off a while and use the bundled sounds that come with Notion, coupled with a few other VST instruments that I already have. I'm not doing anything serious yet, just trying to learn notation software. If I ever do get serious, that VSL SE looks like just the ticket!

And not really trying to veer off-topic here, but I also noticed in your sig that you have Overture 5, as do I (picked up a cheap crossgrade deal last year). That also seems limited to a template for GPO4, rather than GPO5. In addition there are templates for the Kontakt Factory Library (which has an old VSL orchestra - Vienna Symphonic Library Orchestra from the KONTAKT 3 Library), and VSL SE.

Have you tried either the Kontakt Factory Library, or VSL SE with Overture?

I guess VSL SE would be useful in both programs.

Studio One Pro v5.5.2, Win10 Pro
by scunacc on Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:06 pm
JohnBW wrote
And not really trying to veer off-topic here, but I also noticed in your sig that you have Overture 5, as do I (picked up a cheap crossgrade deal last year). That also seems limited to a template for GPO4, rather than GPO5. In addition there are templates for the Kontakt Factory Library (which has an old VSL orchestra - Vienna Symphonic Library Orchestra from the KONTAKT 3 Library), and VSL SE.

Have you tried either the Kontakt Factory Library, or VSL SE with Overture?

I guess VSL SE would be useful in both programs.

The Kontakt factory library works quite well in O5 - but not all instruments map to the Kontakt supplied instruments exactly (I can't recall offhand what I noticed but I came across that when I was using the full orchestra template. Not O5's fault, just that the Kontakt factory library is not a complete orchestral library in every part and some things used one instrument to substitute another (like e.g. section strings for solo strings or something (not sure that was it) - can't remember what though). However I've used it for sketching a little with O5 with some success. Not done anything extensive with it though.

VSL SE is also mapped in O5 - yes.

Reminds me I need to update my sig too with S1 4 and the updates to other things :)

Kind regards

Derek.

Derek Jones
MacBook Pro 17" 16GB,15" 12GB,Sierra, MacBook 13",12GB HighSierra. SSD,Windows 7 64 8GB RAM, Win 10 64 Pro 64GB RAM, [email protected]
Pro Tools 2019.5,Logic Pro X 10.4,Cubase 10,Ableton Live 9.7.6,Reaper 5,Tracktion 7
Vienna Ensemble & Instruments 7,SE Strings,EWQLSO & Play 6,Miroslav Philharmonik 1&2,Kontakt 5.8.0,Waves 10
16.0.2 FW,iConnectMID4+ on macOS (+ others aggregated),192 Mobile+DP88 on Windows
by JohnBW on Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:44 pm
scunacc wrote
The Kontakt factory library works quite well in O5 - but not all instruments map to the Kontakt supplied instruments exactly (I can't recall offhand what I noticed but I came across that when I was using the full orchestra template. Not O5's fault, just that the Kontakt factory library is not a complete orchestral library in every part and some things used one instrument to substitute another (like e.g. section strings for solo strings or something (not sure that was it) - can't remember what though). However I've used it for sketching a little with O5 with some success. Not done anything extensive with it though.

Reminds me I need to update my sig too with S1 4 and the updates to other things :)

Kind regards

Derek.

Derek, thanks again! That sounds good!

I have only been using the Kontakt 5 Player until now, but since I already have a licensed instrument library for that I am currently staring at a 50% discount (summer sale) to the standard crossgrade deal for the full Kontakt 5. For less than the retail cost of Garritan GPO 5. :D

So I may start off with that, realizing that with Notion I can use the standard Notion sounds, plus manually work in the Kontakt VST sounds as necessary. Plus Kontakt 5 is almost an industry standard, and should open up other doors if I start out with that. I like the idea of VSL SE, but it's not cheap (even though it's on sale right now), so that may be something I can upgrade to later as my skill set improves. I also have SampleTank 3, so can optionally crossgrade to Miroslav at any time if desired.

Regards,
John

Studio One Pro v5.5.2, Win10 Pro
by scunacc on Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:23 pm
JohnBW wrote
scunacc wrote

Kind regards

Derek.

Derek, thanks again! That sounds good!

I have only been using the Kontakt 5 Player until now, but since I already have a licensed instrument library for that I am currently staring at a 50% discount (summer sale) to the standard crossgrade deal for the full Kontakt 5. For less than the retail cost of Garritan GPO 5. :D

So I may start off with that, realizing that with Notion I can use the standard Notion sounds, plus manually work in the Kontakt VST sounds as necessary. Plus Kontakt 5 is almost an industry standard, and should open up other doors if I start out with that. I like the idea of VSL SE, but it's not cheap (even though it's on sale right now), so that may be something I can upgrade to later as my skill set improves. I also have SampleTank 3, so can optionally crossgrade to Miroslav at any time if desired.

Regards,
John

One thing to consider with Kontakt. If one is able to get a cheap (or even free!) Kontakt library that qualifies for a crossgrade to Kontakt 5 full (yes - oddly, that kind of deal is available at the NI site), then you can get Kontakt for a lower price than the other discounted offers (i.e. less than 1/2 price). I did that last year when I needed to pick up a 2nd Kontakt license to use it on more than 2 machines (with simultaneous activated installs). I happened to have the Ostinato library from Sonokinetic which I'd picked up free in one of their giveaway deals (not really a library one would use with Notion - perhaps with S1) and, it qualified.

Another thing: Miroslav 1 (MP1) is well mapped to Notion and Emilio has done work on even improving parts of the ruleset for Notion. I have MP1 (and MP2) and I still like and use some of the MP1 sounds.

Miroslav 2 has no rules for Notion. One would have to write those manually. However, and more importantly... it has a problem with timing that is an issue with MP2 and not with Notion. The keyswitch notes for KS patches (which the MP1 patches are available as in MP2) trigger late in some instances, which, currently, makes those KS patches unusable with Notion :( In a DAW like S1, one would nudge the KS notes back a smidgen and it would be OK. But, one can't (currently) do that with Notion (O5 can do it and I have done it with O5 to trigger MP2, but Notion can't. Nor Sibelius, nor, I believe, Finale although I haven't checked either with MP2).

This is a problem for Notion and will be a problem for macOS users when macOS finally goes 64-bit only. I currently use MP1 via jBridge - runs perfectly. I have MP2 which is 64-bit but can't use it with Notion for any live playback. Now, one, could write the rules for MP2 to have them work the way it's supposed to, and then send the MIDI to S1 or something and then nudge the KS notes in S1, but, that doesn't help live playback using MP2 as a VI in Notion (or, indeed, a DAW hosting MP2 driven by Notion live with MIDI over IAC or Rewire).

IK have been contacted about the problem by several folks, (and the PreSonus Notion team is aware of it), but, thus far, over a year has passed without any fix to either ST3 or MP2 forthcoming from IK. I'm hopeful a fix for this will come eventually however, either from IK fixing the actual problem or Notion providing an addition to the rules to allow KS notes to be nudged back in time as O5 has - which may help some other libraries with similar timing issues (Michael I think may have come across something similar), but, we'll have to wait on that and see what happens.

Kind regards

Derek.

Derek Jones
by Alex Great on Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:25 am
Hi all!
Is there any chance to get *prules for East West Hollywood Platinum.
Also I'm very interested about how to use separately purchased VSL library, I mean the instruments-library which are purchased not as a bundle, for example, I have all instruments-library from "Woodwinds bundle", but all of this libs. was purchased individually.

Alex
thanks

26 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2