Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
12 posts
Page 1 of 1
Every time I close Notion 5, I get an error message, which says "Notion Has Stopped Working." I can reopen it with no problem, and this doesn't seem to cause any problems, but it's annoying. Why does this happen?

Michael Diemer
I-7, 16 GB RAM, WD Black HHD's, 1TB (2); Windows 7 Pro, UR-22 interface, Reaper, M-Audio BX5a monitor/Mackie sub, Sonar 8.5.3, GPO4, EWSO Gold, Vienna Sp. Ed. 1, Cinematic Strings
by jasonkleiman on Fri May 11, 2018 8:43 am
I have been experiencing the same problem. Are you using many VST's in your file? I'm only using a couple of VST instruments and it appeared to be crashing Garritan GPO 4 on shutdown. I uninstalled/reinstalled it and so far have not had any problems, but this was last night and I've only started/shutdown 4 times since then.
by michaeldiemer1 on Fri May 11, 2018 11:42 am
Thank you for responding. I'm only using the Notion sounds. It doesn't seem to matter whether I use vst's or not.

Michael Diemer
I-7, 16 GB RAM, WD Black HHD's, 1TB (2); Windows 7 Pro, UR-22 interface, Reaper, M-Audio BX5a monitor/Mackie sub, Sonar 8.5.3, GPO4, EWSO Gold, Vienna Sp. Ed. 1, Cinematic Strings
by michaeldiemer1 on Sun May 13, 2018 12:15 pm
I wonder if this something that would be fixed by upgrading?

Michael Diemer
by johnnewberry on Sun May 13, 2018 8:16 pm
michaeldiemer1 wroteEvery time I close Notion 5, I get an error message, which says "Notion Has Stopped Working." I can reopen it with no problem, and this doesn't seem to cause any problems, but it's annoying. Why does this happen?

By chance is the hard drive set to go into a sleep mode? I don't think Notion can Close or Quit correctly without some bit of disk access. It may be that if the hdd is waking-up it may be too late and causes Notion to crash?
As a quick test I'd try opening an existing file, play some short 5-10 sec. portion of it and then Quit Notion to see if it crashes as you've previously had happen.

,Newberry

:arrow:
by michaeldiemer1 on Sun May 13, 2018 9:12 pm
An interesting thought. I do put my computer to sleep when I'm done with a session, but it's not automatic, I do it manually. It is not set for sleep mode on its own.

Michael Diemer
by johnnewberry on Mon May 14, 2018 8:44 am
michaeldiemer1 wrote An interesting thought. I do put my computer to sleep when I'm done with a session, but it's not automatic, I do it manually. It is not set for sleep mode on its own.

I'm referring to an "idle" (sleeping) -hard drive- power saving mode setting. Not the fully sleeping computer mode.
The hhd has an idle setting which stops or minimizes it from spinning if a desired setting is made..
  Performance power saving plans IMO should be turned off.

How to Turn Off Hard Disk After Idle in Windows 10

If you have set to turn off hard disk after idle, then you will experience a delay if you restart explorer since you will have to wait for all disks turned off to spin back up and turn on before explorer is restarted.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/21454-turn-off-hard-disk-after-idle-windows-10-a.html

,Newberry

by michaeldiemer1 on Mon May 14, 2018 10:38 am
Ah, I see what you're saying. OK, I just did what you suggested, setting it to "never." I'll have to wait until I open Notion, do some work and then close it to see if this solves the problem.

Michael Diemer
by michaeldiemer1 on Mon May 14, 2018 3:55 pm
Just tried it out, and it still gave me the error message. The setting was 20 minutes, which I changed to "never." But I still have the problem. Still, a very good guess, I had high hopes it would work. Back to the drawing board.

Michael Diemer
by johnnewberry on Mon May 14, 2018 4:12 pm
michaeldiemer1 wroteEvery time I close Notion 5, I get an error message

Maybe you can isolate the issue a little more.

• Before you Quit Notion, first Close any presently open Notion document. Crash occur?
• If it didn't crash then Quit Notion. Does Notion crash with the error message?
• Also as before, after Notion has been open a while and you expect it will crash with the error message,
  first Save or Save As before you Quit Notion.
 Quit Notion. Still crash?
• One more bit of important information to know. What is the audio device buffer setting?.

,Newberry

by michaeldiemer1 on Tue May 15, 2018 3:01 pm
Tried your suggestions, John, it still crashes. I routinely save before closing, so that doesn't make a difference. But I don't close the project before quitting Notion, so I tried that, and still got the error.

Michael Diemer
by johnnewberry on Tue May 15, 2018 5:52 pm
michaeldiemer1 wroteTried your suggestions, John, it still crashes.

I forgot to ask what the Buffer Size was set to. Accessed from the Control Panel in the Notion Preferences Audio tab. For general use a size of 512 samples is good.
Less if live recording MIDI keyboard.
If that setting was ok and not a suspect in this issue try this.

• Disconnect any hardware audio device along with any other MIDI interface boxes.
• Set the Notion Preferences to use the Windows default audio device.
• Open and listen to some Notion scores using the Windows audio from speakers or headphones for awhile.
Now when you close documents or Quit Notion does it still crash and show the error message?

,Newberry

12 posts
Page 1 of 1