Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Here's a video I've put together to illustrate the transfer of data from Notion to Studio One.

Let me know if you have questions!

phpBB [video]

Michael

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Sonoma 14.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6/Notion Mobile + Studio One 6 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by jpettit on Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:28 pm
Thanks, Michael.
I reposted it in the Notion Advance library.
viewtopic.php?f=379&t=29249

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 23H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by Surf.Whammy on Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:25 am
This is interesting, and I like the strategy! :+1

THOUGHTS

Since I don't use dynamics, articulations, and rules, I do it a different way; but I like this variation, since it's a good way to get MIDI into Studio One . . .

I have a topic on ReWire, and generally I prefer to use ReWire MIDI when I don't need to record the MIDI in Studio One . . .

Project: ReWire ~ NOTON + Studio One Professional (PreSonus NOTION Forum)

As best as I have been able to determine, Studio One does not record MIDI when it comes from NOTION on ReWire MIDI staves; but the solution I use is to use External MIDI staves in NOTION when I need to record the MIDI . . .

The only significant difference is that ReWire MIDI does not require a Virtual MIDI Cable . . .

External MIDI requires a Virtual MIDI Cable . . .

Other than the Virtual MIDI Cable, I think ReWire MIDI and External MIDI basically are the same; since they can play AUi and VSTi virtual instruments hosted in Studio One, as well as native Studio One instruments and Reason (Propellerhead Software) synthesizers and drum machines . . .

Reason now hosts VSTi virtual instruments and VST effects plug-ins, so this is yet another variation . . .

It's also possible to host VSTi virtual instruments in NOTION and to send the generated audio to Studio One in a ReWire session . . .

All this is done in ReWire sessions; so there are plenty of ways to do it . . .

Sending MIDI from NOTION to Studio One is not done in a ReWire session; but after doing some experimenting, I discovered that on the Mac, it's not necessary to toggle the "Enable ReWire" and "Allow Network Discovery" options . . .

I leave both of them checked all the time, which avoids needing to start NOTION and Studio One two times . . .

Whether this is the same in Windows is another matter, but it works nicely in Mac OS X 10.11.6 (El Capitan), which is the highest version of Mac OS X I can run on the 2.8-GHz 8-core Mac Pro (Early 2008) here in the sound isolation studio . . .

I made a video of "Surf Zot" that shows the CPU and Memory utilization while Studio One and NOTION are in a ReWire session, where Studio One is the ReWire host controller and NOTION is the ReWire slave . . .

I started with a NOTION score that had 9 instances of SampleTank 3 (IK Multimedia) mapped to 9 staves; and the corresponding music notation was sent to Studio One via the 'Send Notes" strategy.

Then I cloned the NOTION score and created 9 ReWire MIDI staves to which I copied the music notation from the VSTi virtual instrument staves, after which I deleted the VSTi virtual instrument staves, leaving only the ReWire MIDI staves . . .

This takes a little more time than replacing the VSTi virtual instruments with native NOTION instruments, but the advantage is that the resource usage (CPU and Memory) footprint is smaller . . .

The NOTION score has a very small footprint, since there are no instruments in it--just ReWire MIDI staves . . .

The key to this strategy is not to map the ReWire MIDI staves to the instruments hosted in Studio One . . .

This way, the ReWire MIDI doesn't go to any of the AUi and VSTi virtual instruments in the Studio One song . . .

The music notation on the ReWire MIDI staves is just there for visual cues, and since it's in a ReWire session, it's synchronized to the MIDI that is playing the Studio One AUi and VSTi virtual instruments . . .

Instead of replacing the VSTi instruments in the original NOTION score, replace them with ReWire MIDI staves, but don't map the ReWire MIDI staves to the VSTi virtual instruments hosted in the Studio One song . . .

The native NOTION instruments typically have small footprints, but I think ReWire MIDI and External MIDI staves have even smaller footprints . . .

SUMMARY

When you need to use dynamics, articulations, and rules, I think the way you are doing it is the best strategy for the step where you send the notes to Studio One; but afterward, instead of using native NOTION instruments, using ReWire MIDI staves will have a smaller footprint . . .

If switching the VSTi virtual instruments to native NOTION instruments is easier, then it's fine with me . . .

The nice thing about all this stuff is that you can use whichever strategy works best for whatever you are doing . . .

There are four strategies for virtual instrumentation:

(1) NOTION hosted instruments so you can Send Notes to Studio One

(2) ReWire Audio (also NOTION hosted instruments)

(3) ReWire MIDI (music notation only) + AUi, VSTi, native Studio One instruments, and Reason instruments (native and VSTi), where ReWire MIDI plays the hosted instruments but in the case of Reason, the generated audio is sent via ReWire Audio channels to Studio One

(4) External MIDI (music notation only) + AUi, VSTi, native Studio One instruments, and Reason instruments (native and VSTi), where External MIDI plays the hosted instruments but in the case of Reason, the generated audio is sent via ReWire Audio channels to Studio One

The video showing the CPU and memory usage when NOTION have ReWire MIDI staves and Studio One is hosting the corresponding VSTi virtual instruments and playing them with the MIDI sent from NOTION in the first step is in my topic on ReWire. The ReWire MIDI staves in the NOTION score are there for visual cues, since they are not mapped to any of the VSTi virtual instruments hosted in Studio One . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by Bbd on Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:34 am
Excellent video! Thank you so much. Very helpful.
:thumbup:

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by michaelmyers1 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:17 pm
Surf.Whammy wroteThis is interesting, and I like the strategy! :+1

THOUGHTS

When you need to use dynamics, articulations, and rules, I think the way you are doing it is the best strategy for the step where you send the notes to Studio One; but afterward, instead of using native NOTION instruments, using ReWire MIDI staves will have a smaller footprint . . .

Surf, I'm not using Notion instruments to produce sound at all. The smallest footprint would use only basic staves without any instrument assignment, but occasionally I might want to listen to the notes as played by the Notion score. This is why I mute the Notion mixer output. Otherwise, you'd hear both the Studio One VST instruments and the Notion instruments playing together.

My next experiments are going to be with a Notion score that doesn't have the CC data recorded on sequencer staves, where I enter that from scratch in Studio One.

I'm also having trouble with sending data for staves with multiple voices (divisi strings, for example) to Studio One. It currently simply compresses all the data into one track, and isn't able to handle the two or three levels of data that Notion can.

Thanks for your comments!

Michael

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Sonoma 14.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6/Notion Mobile + Studio One 6 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by Surf.Whammy on Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:28 pm
michaelmyers1 wroteSurf, I'm not using Notion instruments to produce sound at all. The smallest footprint would use only basic staves without any instrument assignment . . .

The native NOTION instruments are producing sound; so there is processing and memory usage (CPU and Memory); but it's not going anywhere, hence it's mostly minimal . . . :)

Basic treble staves in NOTION are assigned to Piano, and they produce sound, but again it's not going anywhere, although when there is a NOTION Instrument Track in the Studio One song, the NOTION Master Stereo output track is sending audio data to Studio One when it's in a ReWire session . . .

It's minimal; but it's there and you can see it in the NOTION Mixer . . .

It's all good, so I don't see it as a problem . . .

ReWire MIDI tracks send MIDI, so there is activity with them; but the difference is a matter of (a) sending only MIDI versus (b) using MIDI in the background doing the work required to generate the audio and then sending the audio . . .

I think both ways use MIDI in the background, but the second way (audio) does more work . . .

Some experiments might be interesting . . .

The Activity Monitor app on the Mac provides useful information on CPU and Memory usage, and you can find the Activity Monitor app in "Utilities" subfolder of the "Applications" folder . . .

SUMMARY

I like the way you are doing this, and it's basically the same way I work with MIDI in the Studio One MIDI Editor when I am fine-tuning Realivox Blue (Realitone) . . .

The difference is that I don't do a separate NOTION project with no instruments or minimal instruments . . .

Usually, it's just Realivox Blue, so there's no advantage to removing it from the NOTION score . . .

What I like is your idea to use a simpler NOTION score so you can watch the music notation without incurring a lot of overhead due to double-processing resource-intensive instruments . . .

It's a noteworthy strategy, and I like your idea . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by JohnBW on Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:50 am
michaelmyers1 wroteHere's a video I've put together to illustrate the transfer of data from Notion to Studio One.

Let me know if you have questions!

Michael

Nice tutorial, thanks. Very helpful! :thumbup:

Studio One Pro v5.5.2, Win10 Pro
by Marcato on Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:45 pm
Jolly good show again, Michael!

Thanks!

8 posts
Page 1 of 1