Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm writing a solo for tuba with piano accompaniment. I'm about to send the accompaniment part to my pianist, however, I would like to make the tuba part in her score smaller so it takes less space.

I don't see an option in the program to make one part smaller while keeping the same size for another.

Does anyone know who to do this? All input is appreciated. Thank you!
by jimmysuhr on Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:37 pm
bump
by Surf.Whammy on Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:53 am
If you make the tuba part smaller, then its measures will not align with the larger measures of the piano . . . :reading:

If you feel compelled to do this, then the simple way is to print the tuba part on paper in a smaller format; to print the piano part on paper in a larger format; and then to get a pair of scissors, a glue stick, and go for it . . .

If you print to PDF and use a wordprocessor application like Word or Pages, you can do the "cutting and pasting" digitally to create a document with the tuba and piano parts in the formats and sizes you desire. It's the digital equivalent of doing it the "old school" way with paper, scissors, and a glue stick . . .

phpBB [video]

You can hide staves in NOTION 6 Score Setup; so to do screen captures of the smaller (zoom-out) Tuba staves, hide the Piano staves. Then reverse it, so the Piano staves are visible but the Tuba staves are hidden. You can zoom-in on the Piano staves to make them bigger . . .

You will want to do this in Page Down view; and the general idea is to do a screen capture for each stave, one row of measures at a time . . .

Then you can create a blank document in Word or Pages (Apple) and paste the respective rows of measures, at which point you can size them as you desire . . .

This is how it looks in a Pages document with the screen capture images selected (hence the small rectangular "sizing handles" are shown) . . .

This is how it looks when exported from Pages as a PDF document . . .

"Tuba and Piano Duet" (PDF)

THOUGHTS

This example has six measures, so it's one row for each staff . . .

If your score has 1,000 measures, then this will take a while; because based on five measures per row, you will need to do it 200 times for each instrument (200 separate screen captures for each row of measures for the Piano, and 200 separate screen captures for each row of measures for the Tuba) . . .

If you get good at it and can do the screen captures for one row of measures each minute, then it will take about four hours per instrument for the screen captures; and then it will take another three or so hours to insert the individual screen capture images into the Word or Pages (Apple) document, plus another hour for image sizing and so forth . . .

You probably do not want to do this more than one time; so if you decide to do it this way, then it makes a bit of sense to ensure the score is finalized . . .

Lot of FUN! :)

P. S. Alternatively, you could use a smaller tuba or a larger piano . . . :P

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!

3 posts
Page 1 of 1