Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
8 posts
Page 1 of 1
I use Notion but not Studio One. I would like to do most of my work in Notion (musical notation) then use SO to add/edit CC data that Notion cannot. I have the following questions.

1. When Notion data is transferred to SO, does SO import all of the CC data created by Notion, including Notion Rules data? I suspect not because I believe rules are examined only during Notion playback (could be wrong about this). If not, can SO use Notion Rules files?

2. When SO data is transferred to Notion, does Notion import all of the CC data. If so, can Notion play that data? I'm thinking that if one started in Notion, transferred the notes to SO, then used SO to edit CC data, it night be a workable workflow.

3. What is the point of using a streaming protocol like UCNET to transfer data between the two applications? Why wouldn't the apps simply read each other's files, extract the desired data, then perform any required transformation?

Thanks much!
by michaelmyers1 on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:32 pm
Craig, others may have more insight into your specific questions, but the biggest limitation for me with the N6-S1 interoperability is the lack of any kind of articulation changes or key switching rulesets. The only option is what I consider pretty regressive, although many still use it: The use of a different DAW track and instrument for each instrument technique.

I haven't found any way to make technique/articulation switching intelligent in S1 and the keyswitches/articulation settings that are automated in Notion by rulesets don't transfer, as far as I know.

Cubase has articulation/technique mapping, but there is nothing similar in S1.

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Ventura 13.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by johnnewberry on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:49 pm
michaelmyers1 wrote...the keyswitches/articulation settings that are automated in Notion by rulesets don't transfer, as far as I know.

Using the UCNet transfer Interoperability workflow I've found that If the Notion score has VSTI's with rulesets that can trigger the sounds in Notion as intended, the data transfer even if dense and complex MIDI cc and keyswitch changes are very accurately converted for use in Studio One.
And I also find that Studio One then seems to offer playback of the vsti's and there tracks (parts) sounding even better and with more playback stability.
If the Notion score utilizes special timing marks exclusive to notation and Notion e.g Fermata can blur the transfer somewhat.

,Newberry

:arrow:
Last edited by johnnewberry on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by michaelmyers1 on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:53 pm
johnnewberry wrote
michaelmyers1 wrote...the keyswitches/articulation settings that are automated in Notion by rulesets don't transfer, as far as I know.

Using the UCNet transfer Interoperability workflow I've found iIf the Notion score has VSTI's with rulesets that can trigger the sounds in Notion as intended, the data transfer even if dense and complex MIDI cc and keyswitch changes are very accurately converted for use in Studio One.
And I also find that Studio One then seems to offer playback of the the vsti's parts with even better with more stability.

,Newberry

Hmmm. :? This is not the protocol that is standard Notion <-> S1 transfer path built into the program? I'm not familiar with UCNet. Is there somewhere to learn more about using this protocol?

macOS Ventura 13.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by johnnewberry on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:03 pm
michaelmyers1 wroteIs there somewhere to learn more about using this protocol?

The link is here on the Notion main forum page.
https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=167&t=20634

,Newberry

by michaelmyers1 on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:13 pm
Thanks John.

Craig, I just tried an experiment and it does (much to my surprise) appear that all the UACC controls for Spitfire Chamber Strings transfer across the built in send commands between Notion 6 and S1. So, I stand corrected.

Very excited about this, will be doing additional experiments.

It makes sense that the UACC rules transfer as they are simply MIDI CC changes.

macOS Ventura 13.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by craigdukerschein on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:26 am
michaelmyers1 wroteThanks John.

Craig, I just tried an experiment and it does (much to my surprise) appear that all the UACC controls for Spitfire Chamber Strings transfer across the built in send commands between Notion 6 and S1. So, I stand corrected.

Thanks for checking that Mike. That answers my question as to why S1 doesn't simply convert the Notion file, since the file does not contain the CC data resulting from the Rules (which are determined/created during playback).

But what of the other direction, S1>N? If CC#7 data is changed in S1, can N get those changes. Does the S1>N transfer any or all of the S1 CC data? This, of course, plays into the workflow of composing in Notion, then transferring to S1 to add/tune CC data, and iterating between the two thereafter.
by michaelmyers1 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:52 pm
Not sure about that, will try some experimentation.

macOS Ventura 13.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

8 posts