Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi everybody.

How is it possible to get 4 staves for 1 instrument without having to load several instances of the vst ?

(This question is for using Notion with Hauptwerk which allows only one instance of its - huge - vst).
by johnnewberry on Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:38 pm
axelchambily wroteHow is it possible to get 4 staves for 1 instrument without having to load several instances of the vst ?

Hello.
Try using this type of setup with Notion. e.g. Using an "Sequencer staff" as the VSTI host?
Start a new Notion document. Load a new vsti staff in the Score Setup that also is set to a Sequencer Staff setting (Pref. box checked) and the single-line notation setting. (this staff is for vsti hosting and recorded realtime MIDI control change data).

Add (3) Three more Notion Basic (treble) stave Parts.
Use the - Instrument Change - dialog to redirect their playback information to the VSTI hosted in the Seq. staff.
stave inst chg.JPG

stave inst chg 2.JPG

• Rename the staves as needed.
stave inst chg 3.JPG

I hope that will help.

,Newberry

:arrow:
by Surf.Whammy on Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:29 pm
axelchambily wroteHi everybody.

How is it possible to get 4 staves for 1 instrument without having to load several instances of the vst ?

(This question is for using Notion with Hauptwerk which allows only one instance of its - huge - vst).

I looked at this three years ago and made a little bit of progress, but it was confusing at the time . . . :roll:

Using Hauptwerk VPO as VST in Notion 5 (PreSonus NOTION Music Forum)

This was around the time I started making sense of MIDI, which included a few MIDI courses from macProVideo and Groove 3, which helped considerably . . .

Now I know a bit more about all this stuff, and this time I got it working . . . :+1

phpBB [video]

THOUGHTS

I was not able to get the VSTi virtual interface working; but after thinking about it for a while and watching a Hauptwerk video, I switched to using NOTION 6 External MIDI staves, which worked . . .

I tried the Basic version at first, but nothing I did worked; so I switched to the Advanced Pro version, and after clicking on a bunch of stuff, it started working . . .

Conceptually, I know what I did; but when I am doing what I call "scouting around", I am using my unconscious mind, which is based on the fact that I know more stuff than I am aware of in any immediately conscious way . . .

This is what I do when I play lead guitar in real-time on the fly, and the strategy is to play without devoting much attention to immediately conscious thinking, since the fact of the matter is that ]immediate conscious thinking is too slow . . .

You can't play a note every 50 to 100 milliseconds if you have to think in an immediately conscious way about every note . . .

phpBB [video]

I tried two different Virtual MIDI Cables on the Mac, and MIDI Port A was the one that worked . . .

I also tried different channels, but Channel 2 and Channel 3 are the ones that work here in the sound isolation studio when I am using the external MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid Digital Audio and MIDI interface . . .

I tried several configurations for the Hauptwerk MIDI Ports, but the one that works is the advanced option, which I had designated for the Virtual MIDI Cable that maps to MIDI Port A in NOTION 6 MIDI Output . . .

If I read this post a few years ago, I don't think I would understand it, but so what . . .

The strategy I used was to click on stuff and try different combinations of options until something worked . . .

There's a bit more to it than just clicking on stuff, since I usually have some idea what I am doing; so it's more of each click being an experiment . . .

I think it will do something, and sometimes it actually does something; but other times, it doesn't appear to do anything useful, so I click in a different place . . .

The general goal is to avoid reading the user guide, since the folks who write user guides usually are not from our planet . . . :P

This works for playing the Hauptwerk organ, but to record it you need to configure the Hauptwerk Organ so it outputs audio to a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) application . . .

Studio One Professional (PreSonus) will be excellent for this purpose . . .

As time allows, I will post some follow-up information with screen captures, since it's not so easy to explain in detail what I did to configure everything . . .

Lots of FUN! :-)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by axelchambily on Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:40 am
Thanks a lot !
The sequencer staff / vsti host solution is very tricky ;)

4 posts
Page 1 of 1