Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
45 postsPage 3 of 3
1, 2, 3
I composed a new harmony and counterpoint melody for Realivox Blue's singing and now it fits the song, which mostly was just a matter of getting in touch with my "inner liturgical choirboy" . . . :+1

phpBB [video]

THOUGHTS

I need to listen to it a while, but I think Blue's singing is coming along nicely now . . .

There is a new, longer ending; and the second half of the song has Blue singing a few more notes and phrases . . .

This continues to be the second Studio One Professional ".song" layer; and the NOTION 6 score now has 23 ReWire MIDI staves . . .

The audio stems from the first ".song" layer are in this ".song" layer, and there are 12 virtual instruments (a combination of AU and VSTi) hosted in the second Studio One Professional ".song" layer, which is fine . . .

One of the 12 virtual instruments is Kontakt 5 (Native Instruments), and it's loaded with Realivox Blue . . .

The music notation on the respective ReWire MIDI staff in the NOTION 6 score is telling Realivox Blue which notes and phrases to sing. The phonetic script for Realivox Blue is in Kontakt 5, and at present there are two phonemes ("zah" and "tah")--which together map to "zot"--although a good bit of the time Blue is singing only the "zah" phoneme . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by Surf.Whammy on Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:29 am
I do nearly everything "by ear" but in a smart way that's balanced by a bit of music theory whenever it's useful, which is more often than one might imagine . . . :)

This is the new version of "Surf Zot", and it has new counterpoint for Realivox Blue (Realitone) that is tighter and fits the song . . .

It also has enhanced echoes on Realivox Blue done with some modifications to the FabFilter Software Instruments "Timeless 2" echo unit; and I made some changes to the ending . . .

phpBB [video]

THOUGHTS

I listened to the previous version ("V17") quite a few times; and the most obvious "by ear" thing I noticed is that Blue was starting too late most of the time; so in this version I added some 1/8th and 1/16th notes to start her singing sooner rather than later . . .

The counterpoint is more melodic in this version; and I think it fits the song better . . .

Getting the starts of notes at the right times makes Blue's singing tighter, which is important because rhythm guitars and drums usually are precisely on the beat--except when they are doing syncopated rhythms . . .

Coming up, I am planning to add an explosive rhythm guitar based on the rhythm guitar sound I heard on a Metal song a few weeks ago on iHeart FM radio in their weekly "Metal Madness" program . . .

I don't know the name of the song; but (a) it's a distinct rhythm guitar sound and (b) I think I know how to create it with a combination of AmpliTube 4, SampleTank 3 (IK Multimedia), a noise gate (TrackPlug 5 [Wave Arts] or Pro-C [FabFilter Software Instruments]), and whatever else is required . . .

On a related note, prior to adding Blue, the song was focused heavily on electric guitars; but now that Blue is singing what she needs to sing, the emphasis on the electric guitars is softened a bit, which essentially makes it a simple three-chord song {A, D, E} with an interlude . . .

In turn, this makes it easier to compose a vocal melody . . .

On the lyrical side, mostly what the Aliens From Outer Space are beaming me is {monkeys|weasels}; but my job is to do, not to judge . . . :P

The Surf Whammys

by Surf.Whammy on Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:06 am
I consolidated the instrument and audio tracks for the current version by doing some submixing and then created a new ".song" layer in Studio One Professional . . . :)

There are a few changes in the counterpoint harmony Realivox Blue (Realitone) is singing; and I added a second Realivox Blue harmony to the ending . . .

I also adjusted the volume levels for the drumkit and primary lead guitars . . .

phpBB [video]

THOUGHTS

It's been a while since I did any submixing in Studio One, so I forgot how to do it; but after a bit of reading I found a way to do it, although I have no idea if it's the best or smartest way; but so what . . .

Along the way, I discovered that Studio One keeps copies of everything; and this was causing some problems when I did mixdowns of selected tracks; so I deleted all the history and then everything worked as expected . . .

I also noticed that I had recorded the MIDI sent from NOTION via ReWire MIDI for Realivox Blue, which also was a problem, because it was different from the changes I was making in NOTION; so I deleted the recorded MIDI and then everything was good . . .

For some not entirely known reason, the mixdown for a section of electric guitars (tremolo and echo metal) also had an audio track for Realivox Blue, even though I did a separate audio track for Realivox Blue; but after listening to it, I decided to keep it as a bit of serendipity, since it adds more echoes to what Realivox Blue is singing, and I like echoes . . .

In this version, there are a total of 23 instruments--23 ReWire MIDI staves in the NOTION score, which continues to be the only NOTION score, so far . . .

The audio is submixed to eight (8) tracks; and at present this is all that is in the "Layer 3" Studio One ".song" . . .

Four (4) of the submixed tracks are from "Layer 1", and the other four (4) submixed tracks are from "Layer 2" . . .

The plan at present is to record an explosive rhythm guitar and some prototype lyrics about a weasel and a monkey, which probably will be something like this:

The weasel hurled lies at the monkey to make it go away
But the monkey blocked the lies and now the weasel's going to pay

This is what the Aliens From Outer Space beamed me, so it's not my fault . . . :P

The Surf Whammys

by Surf.Whammy on Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:01 am
I added two Metal sections to "Surf Zot" (before and after the Interlude) . . . :)

phpBB [video]

THOUGHTS

This took about eight (8) hours, including the time to compose the music notation for the "Metal Monkey" sections, which is fine with me . . .

I used the Studio One Professional ".song" for "Layer 1" to record new Drumkit. Höfner Bass, Rhythm Guitars, and Lead Guitars for the "Metal Monkey" sections, with structural modifications done in Studio One and NOTION . . .

This is done with a clone of the original "Layer 1" Studio One ".song", which then was saved and modified . . .

The NOTION score also is cloned and saved with a new name; and structural changes were made to the clone . . .

The new "Layer 1" uses the existing instruments for the Drumkit, Höfner Bass, Rhythm Guitars, and Lead Guitars, which (a) makes it easier and (b) keeps the Drumkit and Höfner Bass consistent throughout the song . . .

Everything for the most recent version of "Surf Zot" (V19) already is recorded; so the new version just needed to be edited to separate the submixed audio tracks to make space available for the "Metal Monkey" sections, which also was the case for the cloned NOTION score, where for the NOTION score it's just a matter of inserting some number of empty measures--empty measures for the "Metal Monkey" sections and a set of empty measures for the already recorded "Interlude" section . . .

[NOTE: In Studio One terminology, this is called "splitting stems" . . . ]

There cannot be music notation in the cloned and modified NOTION score for the already recorded audio, because I am using different music notation to play the same instruments, albeit with a few modifications to the Rhythm Guitars and Lead Guitars . . .

I was not planning to work on a Lead Guitar part for the "Metal Monkey" sections, but the Aliens From Outer Space beamed me some music notation; so there's a Lead Guitar melody that fits nicely . . . :+1

I ran the new Lead Guitar through a FabFilter Software Instruments "Timeless 2" syrupy echo unit, and then added music notation for more "echo notes" to the Harmony Guitar, which uses the same SampleTank 3 (IK Multimedia) legacy instrument and the same syrupy echo unit . . .

[NOTE: I like the SampleTank 2 legacy instruments; so I imported them to SampleTank 3 where they work nicely in 64-bit mode . . . ]

I probably will add a Synthesizer or something to smooth the transitions to and from the "Metal Monkey" sections; and I might use Reason (Propellerhead Software) to do this . . .

The Rhythm Guitar at far-left is not so explosive, but so what . . .

After I listen to the new version a while and start doing the "Metal Monkey" vocals, I will work on the Rhythm Guitar . . .

The Surf Whammys

by Surf.Whammy on Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:41 am
Repetition is good, but too much repetition is not so good . . . :)

After listening to the new "Metal Monkey" version of "Surf Zot" a few times, I decided that there were too few fast sections and too many slow sections; so I changed the song structure and made a few changes to the lead guitar phrases in the "Metal Monkey" sections . . .

phpBB [video]

THOUGHTS

The "Metal Monkey" sections have the most energy; but the original slower sections are more melodic; so from the perspective of managing audience behaviors, it makes sense to have a "big ending", which in this instance maps to ending the song with a "Metal Monkey" section . . .

It's important for a song to have a distinctive start and a "big ending", mostly because this is what people remember first . . .

The primary focus for this version was the song structure; so I need to do some producing and audio engineering, which is the way it works here in the sound isolation studio . . .

The Surf Whammys

45 postsPage 3 of 3
1, 2, 3