Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
12 posts
Page 1 of 1
I am a happy Notion 3 user and have no need to upgrade. However after reinstalling it to a new 24 core machine I now cannot reregister it. It seems the site that used to handle Notion 3 registration is not active anymore since Presonus bought Notion. What is the status with Notion 3 users ofr did the sale of Notion to Presonus just let Notion 3 users out to dry by terminating the license server?
Or tis there a different reason ?
by johnnewberry on Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:22 pm
retnev wroteIt seems the site that used to handle Notion 3 registration is not active anymore since Presonus bought Notion.

Hello.
Try going to your My.Presonus account webpage by logging in at the link below here:.
https://my.presonus.com/auth/login

At the My.Presonus account webpage click on the -My Products- link at the top of that webpage.

Click on the -Software- button near the top of the -My Products- webpage.
You should see your Notion 3 software listed..

Then after clicking on the -View More Details- button you should see the Notion 3 licenses remaining available to you.

Hope this helps.
If your Notion 3 software is not listed or you are unable to activate and use a license you'll probably need to contact the Presonus/Notion Support to get it resolved.

,Newberry

:arrow:
by retnev on Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:21 pm
This advice cannot work, because Notion 3 was created before Presonus bought Notion, and the serial numbers for notion 3 cannot be entered on the Presonus site under the software registration as they are 3x 6 digits format and Presonus has smaller 4 digit fields. . It seems Notion 3 Users are sheepdogged to have to buy the presonus version.
by johnnewberry on Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:46 pm
Do you have an -MyPresonus- account with any registered hardware or software listed on the My Products webpage ?

,Newberry

by retnev on Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:19 pm
Yes I bought audioboxes one which is listed in my account, but the serial number fields they have there for software doesnt comply to my serial number structure for Notion 3 as I described in my previous post.
by johnnewberry on Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:23 pm
retnev wroteYes I bought audioboxes one which is listed in my account, but the serial number fields they have there for software doesnt comply to my serial number structure for Notion 3 as I described in my previous post.

Is Notion 3 on the MyPresonus/MyProducts/Software page?
And if so is there any -Product Key- number at all shown there?

• If there is an newer -Product Key- number then try downloading the Notion 3 Installer from that webpage.
I'm guessing the newer installation will use the newer -Product Key- number listed online.
And won't use the original Notion online or old boxed version serial number?
But if you have the instrument -Sounds- from an previous disk I think you can use those and avoid the internet download. Just put them in the Notion 3 applications Sounds folder

,Newberry

by retnev on Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:01 pm
No it CANNOT be there because it cannot be registered. It will only register if I enter the serial number. I cannot enter the serial number because the serial number on my Presonus page is in a different format than what notion now asks.
by johnnewberry on Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:17 pm
retnev wrotehe serial number on my Presonus page is in a different format than what notion now asks.

Try downloading the "newest Notion 3 Installer" from the webpage. Then use the new Product-Key number shown on the webpage. Don't use your old serial number.
Don't use your old software installer from a CR ROM etc.
It's different.
I believe the new licences were automatically generated and assigned to you for future use when the Notion software was acquired by Presonus.

,Newberry

by Surf.Whammy on Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:43 am
I'm going by memory on this, but I recall the NOTION folks transferring the current licenses to the new PreSonus registration database around the time PreSonus bought Notion Music . . . :)

I had a PreSonus product at the time (Studio One), and after the transfer of NOTION 3 and NOTION 4, I had two PreSonus registrations--one that had Studio One, and another that had NOTION 3 and NOTION 4 . . .

Now some of my stuff is registered to "Surfwhammy" (which was the moniker I used in the old NOTION Forum"; but the other stuff is registered to "Surf.Whammy" which is my new moniker . . .

It's all good, because I like "Surf. Whammy" better than "Surfwhammy" . . .

The "dot" is cool, and I like dots . . . :+1

If the registration thing is not working for you, then call PreSonus customer support or send them an email . . .

This is an easily solved problem, but if it requires resetting your NOTION 3 license, then it has to be done by the PreSonus NOTION folks, because they are the only ones who have the authority and access to the registration database . . .

THOUGHTS

NOTION 3 is fine, but it's 32-bit only . . .

If you upgrade to NOTION 6, then you can start doing 64-bit computing, which is much better and will work nicely with your new, faster machine . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by retnev on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:34 pm
There is more to lose with 64 bit than to gain. Most of my older indispensable software especially 16 bit software I cannot shake will not work on 64 bit windows. If Presonus would do the right thing and release their software for linux then all this is a non issue as on Linux you can run 8bit to 64 bit software at native speeds under linux IF you use AMD processors. Intel not so, as 32 bit applications doesnt run at native speed on Intel platforms.
So that is a completely different can of worms.
I am sticking to 32 bit as far as I can unless if I am forced to.
by Surf.Whammy on Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:26 pm
retnev wroteThere is more to lose with 64 bit than to gain.

That is a belief, not a fact . . . :ugeek:

THOUGHTS

Nevertheless, I think I understand your perspective; and in a metaphysical way I feel your pain . . . :cry:

The primary advantage of 64-bit computing--other than newer and faster processors--is the ability to use considerably more system memory at the application level . . .

From a practical perspective, the primary disadvantage is that in digital music production it travels with a virtual festival of software upgrades, which in turn cost a lot money . . .

I do everything on the Mac; but I developed software for Windows from 1987 until 2005 or thereabout and since then have switched entirely to the Mac, which I started doing in 2001 . . .

Currently, I do everything here in the sound isolation studio on a 2.8-GHz 8-core Mac Pro (Early 2008) with 32GB of system memory and 3TB Seagate Barracuda internal hard drives, plus an updated and faster video card that I got on eBay for $75 that is Mac native and as such shows the boot screen and all that stuff on start-up . . .

I run the current version of Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11.6 ), which is the latest version that runs on the Mac Pro here in the isolation studio . . .

It will not run the newer versions of Mac OS X; so at some point I will need to get a new Mac, although at present I see no particular benefit and am fine with everything the way it is . . .

Digital music production software is expensive, and it tends to be an ongoing expense, although once you get the first full version, from that point forward everything changes to upgrades, which typically cost less but still are expensive . . .

As an example, I started with Reason 5 (Propellerhead Software) quite a few years ago, and since then there have been five major version upgrades, each of which cost me $100 to $200 (US), which is a lot of money here in the sound isolation studio . . .

What did I get for it?

One thing is the ability to send MIDI via a "virtual MIDI cable" to and from Reason in a ReWire session; and later it became possible and practical to do this with ReWire MIDI . . .

More recently, Reason now supports VSTi virtual instruments and VST effects plug-ins, which is a big technological advance, as are Rack Extensions (native) . . .

Were these new technologies worth $500 to $1,000 (US)?

Definitely!

Could I freeze everything at 32-bits the way it was in 2010?

On the Mac, sure!

The Mac Pro here in the sound isolation studio running Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) fully supports running everything in 32-bit mode; and with the earlier versions of Mac OS X, I was running everything in 32-bit mode when everything was availably only in 32-bit mode . . .

For me, the practical aspect is a matter of (a) why would I want to run everything in 32-bit mode and (b) what would I lose by running everything in 32-bit mode . . .

Consider the PreSonus applications (NOTION and Studio One) . . .

The upgrades over the past eight or so years have cost about the same as the Reason upgrades--perhaps a bit less, but not a lot less . . .

What did I get for my money?

I got a lot of stuff that I use and need to use, so from my perspective it's all good . . .

In particular, I use the new ability to transfer music notation from NOTION 6 to Studio One 3.5 Professional as MIDI and vice-versa . . .

It's not exact--since there is no one-to-one mapping of music notation to MIDI and vice-versa--but I understand this and it's not a problem . . .

Lately, I am experimenting with Realivox Blue (Realitone), and for legato the durations of notes need to overlap by a tiny amount, which is the reason I use the Studio One MIDI Editor even though after I get everything finely-tuned I use NOTION 6 as a ReWire slave in a ReWire session where Digital Performer 9.5 (MOTU) is the ReWire host controller . . .

I add and enhance the phonemes in Melodyne (Celemony), and this is working nicely with the result being that Realivox Blue sounds more naturally human . . .

So, yeah . . .

It costs more, but you get more stuff that has value . . .

At some point, I will need to freeze everything; and toward this goal I am beginning to get a few extra 2.8-GHz 8-core Mac Pro computers so I have spare parts and all that stuff . . .

I like what now are "old" Lincoln Towncars--the ones that are the last, rear-drive luxury cars . . .

And I check every so often for a compatible model that is in reasonably good condition and does not cost much, where the idea is to have a set of them to use for spare parts . . .

In 2010, I could do perhaps 50-percent of what I needed to do with virtual instruments and effects plug-ins, which in part initially was due having no idea how all this stuff works but also was due to the various software not being able to do certain things . . .

Now after a lot of work, I can do approximately 95-percent of what I need to do; and the remaining 5-percent mostly is a matter of learning more stuff rather than anything missing from the technologies . . .

Is this worth about $10,000 (US) and 10,000+ hours of making sense of everything?

I think so! :+1

SUGGESTION

Call or email PreSonus NOTION technical support . . .

They can get you going on registering NOTION 3 in the new system and installing it . . .

Whether NOTION 3 works on a new Windows machine is another matter, and I have no insight into this aspect; but NOTION 3 works nicely on the Mac Pro here in the sound isolation studio . . .

I use it occasionally, but only to provide a bit of help for folks on the Mac who have not upgraded to the current version of NOTION; and it's a very "occasional" activity, which I have not done in perhaps two years . . .

My general advice is to upgrade, since the new stuff is very nice and overall it's well worth the cost of upgrading . . .

Yet, old stuff is not necessarily bad . . .

I have a right-handed Höfner Beatle Bass that's at least 40 years-old (but probably older), and it's sweet . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by retnev on Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:32 pm
Mac is basically FreeBSD with a windowmanager. The applications are tied to the Mac Window manager and it is almost impossible to run other BSD applications on the WM natively. If that were the case Mac would be very useful using all the opensource applications and proprietary stuff breaking this insane mousewheel of perpetual serial upgrades.

Everything I have works great and as soon as I start the upgrades then a domino effect ensues which I wont go through that money pit for no foreseeable gain.

I am seriously looking to just go the linux way and start helping developing the software needed. This is a crazy cycle that only benefits the vendors. KXStudio is already pretty good and can replace most of what I have on windows.

I will contact Presonus, but I dont expect I would be getting any help based on past experience. I was hoping there was a solution in the usergroup, but unfortunately it seems they shift the goalpost of the license server so I guess that is the only option. The developer who sold me Notion when it was still not part of Presonus was amazing. Great service and stuff just worked flawlessly. It is a real pity he sold out. Legally, since I bought the software and did not lease it, I am entitled to a license.

12 posts
Page 1 of 1