Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi,

Anyone using VEP 5 with Notion 6?

I am curious about assigning staves to multiple channels within a VEP 5 instance in S1.

And having a Notion 6 score linked across multiple instances of VEP5.

Thanks,

Fred

Intel i7-7820x, 128gb RAM, 4tb m.2, GTX 1080ti
Windows 11
RME Babyface Pro
PreSonus Studio One Pro v6.6
Reaper, FL Studio
by Surf.Whammy on Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:45 pm
frederichodshon1 wroteI am curious about assigning staves to multiple channels within a VEP 5 instance in S1.

And having a Notion 6 score linked across multiple instances of VEP5.

I am reasonably confident that you can do what you want to do, but there are two caveats:

(1) I do everything on the Mac . . .

(2) I do not have VEP 5 . . .

THOUGHTS

There are folks who participate in this forum who (a) use VEP 5 or VEP 6 and (b) work on Windows machines (as well as on the Mac); so they can provide more specific information; but overall it doesn't matter for purposes of the information I am providing . . .

Going as far back as Studio One 2 Professional and NOTION 4, this has been possible and practical; but back then, it was done a bit differently due to neither Studio 2 Professional nor NOTION 4 implementing ReWire MIDI (which as I recall did not exist at the time) . . .

So, instead of using ReWire MIDI, the strategy was to use a "virtual MIDI cable"; and these things are included with MAC OS X; but in the Windows universe a third-party "virtual MIDI cable" was required, which was easy to do since there are third-party "virtual MIDI cables" for Windows . . .

[NOTE: For reference, these are two "virtual MID cables" that work with Windows, although with ReWire MIDI you don't need to do it this way . . . ]

virtualMIDI (Tobias Erichsen)

LoopBe1 (Nerds.de)

VEP 5 is a network server application that hosts Vienna Symphonic Library (VSL) instruments; and it has a VSTi virtual instrument interface, which makes it possible to use it in a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) application like Studio One and in NOTION 6 . . .

This is the YouTube video from VSL that shows how to configure VEP 5 for use with Logic Pro (Apple) on the Mac; and it has an instance running on a networked Windows computer, as well . . .

phpBB [video]

This YouTube video done by PreSonus NOTION Forum member Michael Myers (a.k.a., "TENSiViTY") shows you how to use NOTION with Studio One via NOTION External MIDI staves and a "virtual MIDI cable", where Studio One is hosting VSL instruments, which for practical purposes is the way it was done using the "virtual MIDI cable" and ReWire strategy that was current a few years ago . . .

phpBB [video]

This is an even earlier YouTube video I did when Studio One 2 and NOTION 4 were the current versions; and it shows Studio One as the ReWire host controller in a ReWire session where both NOTION 4 and Reason 7 (Propellerhead Software) are ReWire slaves, with NOTION 4 playing both Reason 7 and Studio One 2 Professional virtual instruments, with Studio One handling the audio, which is what the ReWire host controller does in a ReWire session . . .

[NOTE: The volume sliders in the NOTION Mixer do not show activity on the External MIDI tracks, because they are not generating audio in NOTION. Instead, they are sending MIDI to Reason and Studio One, where the audio is generated by the Reason and Studio One hosted instruments--and in the case of Reason the generated audio is sent to Studio One--since as explained the ReWire host controller handles audio in a ReWire session. The ReWire slaves can generate audio, but the audio they generate is sent to the ReWire host controller. Whether anyone other than me actually does ReWire sessions like this is another matter; but (a) I was curious about it; (b) I like to do experiments; and (c) I like to explore the upper limits of digital production software to determine what is possible, even when it makes no sense actually to do it; and moving it up yet another level, Studio One can play Reason instruments, and Reason can play Studio One instruments, while NOTION is playing instruments and via MIDI is playing instruments in Reason and Studio One . . . :P ]

phpBB [video]

Everything is easier now that Studio One 3.5 Professional and NOTION 6 support ReWire MIDI; but regardless, you can do what you need to do; and there are two ways to do it, although hosting some VSL instruments in NOTION 6 provides an additional way to include VSL instruments in your project, since (a) NOTION 6 can play VSL instruments on VSTi virtual instrument staves but also (b) can send MIDI via ReWire MIDI to Studio One 3.5 Professional to play VSL instruments hosted in Studio One . . .

[NOTE: Using the VSL Vienna Instruments Sample Player is another way to do this . . . ]

SUMMARY

I can't provide any specific information about doing what you need to do in the Windows universe, but based on the information I can verify on the Mac here in the sound isolation studio, along with additional information (see above) from Michael Myers, I am confident that you can do what you need to do . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by michaelmyers1 on Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:19 pm
Fred, and Surf:

The video you're referring to is a couple of years old, but the same process should still work. I can't provide much insight into the process beyond what I illustrated in the video I'm afraid. As Surf said it's just feeding MIDI output from Notion to a keyboard input connected to a virtual instrument in S1.

After that experiment I really didn't work with the process further. I found that for my own limited purposes, I was just as effective in producing music directly in Notion, and so I quit that line of experimentation.

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Sonoma 14.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6/Notion Mobile + Studio One 6 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com

3 posts