Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
2 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

for two weeks in a row I've successfully sent an audio mix from Studio One on my macbook over the network to Notion running on my friends macbook.

The problem comes when she get home and start up her computer to find the audio mix is missing.

Last time we checked that it was running, after shutting Notion down, and closing the laptop off from the network, then starting Notion again. All good.

But again when she got home, the audio mix was missing.

Anyone have a clue to get this solved?

I've tried looking around to when the audio file might be located, but to no avail. The import process is rather mysterious and doesn't show the progress or destination when audio files are used.

cheers,
Luke

http://http://www.lukenyman.com

Sphere
Macbook Pro 15"
Faderport 8
ADAM A7 monitors
Akai MPKmini
Arturia Beatstep
Korg SV-1
Korg PadKontrol
Behringer X18 audio Interface (oh the shame)
by Surf.Whammy on Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:44 pm
I did a few experiments on the Mac Pro here in the sound isolation studio; and while I didn't have a MacBook handy to experiment on a network, I think I have identified the problem and discovered the solution . . . :)

THOUGHTS

The audio file is created; the NOTION 6 project plays it; so at least during the session it's there somewhere . . .

I did some searching on the Mac Pro using Mac OS X Spotlight, and I discovered that the audio file named "Mixdown" was in iTunes, which I suppose makes a bit of sense . . .

When I closed NOTION 6 and Studio One 3 Professional and then opened the NOTION 6 project, the audio file played; but the audio file was not in the NOTION 6 project folder and there was no way to give the audio file a new name and location in NOTION 6 . . .

Nevertheless, there were some clues; so I did a few more experiments and focused on what happens on the Studio One 3 Professional side, which is where I think I found the solution . . .

Basically, it was a bit puzzling (a) that the exported audio file was named "Mixdown" and (b) that the audio file was parked in iTunes . . .

POSSIBLE SOLUTION (NOT VERIFIED ON NETWORK)

[NOTE: I am presuming that you are using the new Studio One 3 Professional and NOTION 6 network transfer functions, which on the Studio One 3 Professional side begins on the "Song" menu. If not, then you need to copy the audio file to the target Mac and save the audio file on the target Mac before importing the audio file to the NOTION 6 project . . . ]

[NOTE: For the "Noton on:" field, you will specify the networked target computer . . . ]

I noticed that there is an "Export Mixdown" dialog window with options on the Studio One 3 Professional side of the audio transfer to NOTION 6, but at first I mostly ignored it and just clicked "OK", so whatever it did was done using the default settings . . .

But now that everything is making more sense, I studied the options on the "Export Mixdown" dialog window; and this is where I think I found the solution . . .

As shown in the screen capture of the "Export Mixdown" dialog window (see above), instead of accepting the "Location" defaults, I specified the location and filename . . .

(1) On the target machine, create a folder for the NOTION 6 project--preferably with a filename that uses dashes instead of spaces, because spaces can be troublesome in filenames when doing network and web stuff . . .

[NOTE: For machine-to-machine transfers on the same Mac, it might not matter; but some websites don't handle filenames with embedded spaces; and on the Mac in Terminal when you use some of the options to create archive files, Terminal (which is a UNIX program) doesn't handle embedded spaces so well. The reason is that in the "C" programming language, spaces are special characters--which is not a problem when software engineers follow the rules--but you cannot count on this always being the case; hence the strategy of avoiding special characters. For reference, Mac OS X sits atop UNIX, and UNIX is always there in the subterranean background. In fact, UNIX was written in "C"--at least in the days when there were no personal computers and software engineers wore underpants. The "C" programming language originally was a UNIX thing, so it's all related--except that so-called "normal" people don't know this . . . :P ]

phpBB [video]

(2) In the Studio One 3 Professional "Export Mixdown" dialog window, specify the location for the exported audio file to be on the target computer in the folder you created for the NOTION 6 project . . .

(3) In the Studio One 3 Professional "Export Mixdown" dialog window, specify an appropriate filename for the audio file you are exporting via "Send to NOTION" . . .

SUMMARY

I think this will solve the problem; but I need to verify it in a network scenario, which I can do . . .

I have a MacBook, but it's not in the sound isolation studio at the moment; so I will do that part of the experiment later this evening or tonight . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!

2 posts
Page 1 of 1